Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 01:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: STEPHEN HAWKING  (Read 5260 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »

Pondering some more on Hawking.. He is a scientist. Yet he aslo seems to be a philosopher. I seem to be having trouble distinguishing were one ends (the scientist) & the philosopher begins. Anyone else? huh?

I'm both!

Degrees in Chemistry and Philosophy.

Of course, the Philosophy degree was an accident...

I was taking Philosophy electives, and one day noticed that there were none left!  So I just paid the Graduation Fee, and got the Degree.  educated

There does not need to be a distinction anyhow.

The Degree named PhD (Doctorate) literally means Philosopher's Degree, yet it is most commonly given to Scientists.

Math courses are in the Arts department, not Science.

The distinction is merely for show.  Really you can't have one without the other...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:47:52 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 11:17:26 PM »

A scientist who is not a philosopher is like a body without a mind.
While science is mind-driven, more or less, just plainly searching for results without interpreting them wont work.
Any scientist who is regarded as good and probably also most of the less well known ones are philosophic.

Also, philosophy is the root of all sience.
A philosopher is a "friend of thinking". Philosophers were the first to wonder about the world and how it works. They then eventually splitted up into several kinds of science and art.

Math in the Art department? Fitting smiley Real higher maths are rather a kind of art than anything else smiley
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p9wunjbyeHk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/p9wunjbyeHk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »

A scientist who is not a philosopher is like a body without a mind.
While science is mind-driven, more or less, just plainly searching for results without interpreting them wont work.
Any scientist who is regarded as good and probably also most of the less well known ones are philosophic.

Also, philosophy is the root of all sience.
A philosopher is a "friend of thinking". Philosophers were the first to wonder about the world and how it works. They then eventually splitted up into several kinds of science and art.

Math in the Art department? Fitting smiley Real higher maths are rather a kind of art than anything else smiley

Well said!  However I do not think as much about philosophers who are NOT scientists.  Just a lot of "in theory" talk.  It seems like until; Newton came along that's what they wwere all about.

Socratease I have seen the original Monty Python video of that.   LOVE IT!  The addition of Hawking is Priceless!

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »

Well, there are enough "in theory"-scientists as well wink
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »

Well, there are enough "in theory"-scientists as well wink

Very true... BUUUT... they do have more motivation to prove their theories.  Kinda makes them more credible as scientists.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »

Has he changed his mind?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7979211/Has-Stephen-Hawking-ended-the-God-debate.html

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »

That debate will never end.

There is only one thing I can say with Certainty about the relationship between Humanity and God : One Created The Other!

And only one thing I can say with Certainty about God : Her Nose is Too Big!

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »

Nice article, BWA smiley

And some of the comments below it are interesting too.
Lee Oliver
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »

This whole subject reminds me of why I wanted to become a theoretical physicist in the first place.  Personally, I feel that Stephen Hawking has been doing science with the intentions of profit in mind.  He is a very intelligent man, but it has gone to his big brainy head a little, and he has the right to be that way.  His research has shed light into many areas of science that few other have explored.

As for M-theory, I am kind of hesitant to jump on that particular wagon at this time. undecided

Kalo’smi lokaksayakrt-pravrddho
Lokan smahartum-iha pravrttah|

rte’pi twam na bhavisyanti sarve
ye’vasthitah pratyanikesu yodhah
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »

As Sockratease said the debate will never end.   1st of all we would ALL have to agree on same definition of god.  BrutalToad .. not sure about the "profit " thing... buuut I do believe his intellect has gone to his head!  lol 
Nice article, BWA smiley

And some of the comments below it are interesting too.
Thank you   embarrass  have the same conversation going on in my "ponderings" group. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: