Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fragmentarium EXR crashes  (Read 4323 times)
Description: Frequent crashes rendering to EXR from Fragmentarium
swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« on: April 05, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »

Hi all, first post here. I'm using Fragmentarium (the 3Dickulus patched build on Windows 10) and trying to render to EXR.

What seem to be "acceptable" settings are a little unpredictable. Trying to render to a 1080HD EXR sequence, I find I can only render to anything close to that resolution by setting tiles to 5x5 and tile width / height to 400x225 (for a resolution of 2000x1125. I can live with that). Anything less than 5x5 tiles will crash the app. 

This is a little annoying since 5x5 tiles takes several seconds longer to render than, say, 2x2.  A few seconds per frame over 720 frames = an extra hour or more of rendering. I'd love to be able to drop the render tiles setting. Is there a silver bullet setting here?
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »

Hi swingsoneto and welcome to FF smiley

I'm a Fragmentarium user under win7pro 64-bits and just tested to see if it's platform dependant. But same behaviour cry
I usually render png, 1920x1080, 2000 subframes (less if I can get away with it;) ), 1 tile-render, and never any problems. Seems to sit in the exr-bit and for that we need 3dickulus as it's his version only that can do exr! smiley

Little tip for the future: Might have been more handy to post this in the Fragmentarium section, biggest chance the 'right' people will see this wink

sabine62.deviantart.com
swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »

Ah, I wasn't sure which one to post in smiley Thought about replying to the "patched build" thread directly... Maybe I'll follow up there.

I've had success with those settings using PNG as well, but I need the bit depth of EXR to be able to do some further editing in Fusion : 
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 03:48:00 AM »

If the topic has "Fragmentarium" in it I will read it so you can post where ever it fits, Programming, FragM, Help, etc. but the best would be to start a new topic on the Fragmentarium board with some info and, preferably, the frag that raises the problem.

I replied to this here... http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=16405.msg100860#msg100860 ...before I saw this post.

oh, and welcome to FF swingsoneto cheesy

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:20:33 AM »

But same behaviour cry

@Sabine you see this bug too huh? this is the first I'm hearing of it, are you using latest patch update to 1.0.30 (using MaintenanceTool)

@swingsoneto I assume you have installed recently?

last patch was Mar 11  embarrass

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »

@3dickulus YesYes, updated and all, 1.0.30 version, I religiously watch out for your updates  wink

I have tested some more and I already kill Frag with an exr-tilesize of 500x500/3x3 tiles,10 subframes, while my graphics card can easily handle 1920x1080/1x1 tile 2000 subframes png in Frag, no problem there...

sabine62.deviantart.com
swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »

@3Dickulus - Interesting, I can run some more tests but IIRC I actually did see a fairly substantial difference in render time using a high number of tiles vs low.  Thus my desire to be able to lower it without crashes, even if this phenomenon is unique to my machine smiley I actually used a stop watch on various tile settings. But I'll run some tests and report back. 

There isn't a particular .frag file that fails with particular settings, even the default Mandelbulb.frag will crash if I try to render EXR at 4x4 tiles.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:26:19 AM »

@Sabine ok tried 500x500 3x3 tiles (1500x1500) EXR saves with no problem but 1920x1080 1x1 tile crashed huh? hmmm a little more testing me thinks wink
@swingsoneto thankyou for bringing this up, I will investigate over the weekend and see if I can find the cause  confused

hazarding a guess, it might be something re tile sizes in EXR library, as in 'there may be a limit' but afaik tile size can be anything from the entire image to just 1 pixel...
just did a couple of tests 640x640 1x1 works but 768x768 1x1 crashes, so at least I have something to look for and it would have to be in the EXR output routines... I think wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 12:07:15 AM »

yep, my output routine allocates the working tile on the stack, too big tile = stack overflow, allocating on heap or dynamically should fix this bug, in the mean time you just have to use smaller tile.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »

to check the current stack limit on linux type...
ulimit -s <return>
the default is 8192
to change it type...
ulimit -s 16384 <return>
this works when you run FragM from the shell where you typed this command
I think it's 1k blocks, not enough to render 1920x1080 single tile but bumps it up a bit and I'll see about removing this limit in the next update wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 08:01:56 AM »

ok, I think I fixed it...

in file DisplayWidget.cpp the getRGBAFTile() routine @ line 1349 should look like this...
Code:
void DisplayWidget::getRGBAFtile ( Array2D<Rgba>&array, int w, int h ) {

GLfloat (*myImgdata)[h][w][4] = (GLfloat (*)[h][w][4])malloc( (h*w*4*sizeof(GLfloat)) );
  GLfloat (*myDepths)[h][w][1] = (GLfloat (*)[h][w][1])malloc( (h*w*sizeof(GLfloat)) );

if ( !hiresBuffer->bind() ) {
      WARNING ( tr("Failed to bind hiresBuffer FBO") );
    }

// read colour values from hiresBuffer
    glReadPixels ( 0, 0, w, h, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, myImgdata );

if ( !hiresBuffer->release() ) {
      WARNING ( tr("Failed to release hiresBuffer FBO") );
    }

if ( depthToAlpha ) {
      if ( !previewBuffer->bind() ) {
        WARNING ( tr("Failed to bind previewBuffer FBO") );
      }
        // read depth values from previewBuffer
        glReadPixels ( 0, 0, w, h, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, myDepths );

if ( !previewBuffer->release() ) {
          WARNING ( tr("Failed to release previewBuffer FBO") );
        }
    }

// put them together as RGBZ or RGBA
    for ( int i = 0; i < h; i++ ) {
      for ( int j = 0; j < w; j++ ) {
        array[ ( h-1 )-i][j] = Rgba ( (*myImgdata)[i][j][0], (*myImgdata)[i][j][1], (*myImgdata)[i][j][2],
                                      depthToAlpha ? (*myDepths)[i][j][0] : (*myImgdata)[i][j][3] );
        }
    }

free(myImgdata);myImgdata=0;
    free(myDepths);myDepths=0;

}

...this allocates tile data buffers dynamically instead of on the stack, 1920x1080 x 1 tile works with this, users that compile from source can cut'n'paste this code and recompile, if you use the windows installer program you will have to wait for the next update... coming soon wink

Thank you @swingsoneto and @Sabine for the testing and feedback, every time one of these little bugs gets fixed you help make this a better program  A Beer Cup
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:49:31 AM by 3dickulus » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »

Thanks a lot, @3dickulusA Beer Cup A Beer Cup A Beer Cup

For some reason I didn't get any notice in my email while I did enable notifying for this thread neither for the catmull-rom-spline thread, maybe the site update messes this up? sad Just hope that swingsoneto will get to see this too.

I'll patiently await your update;)

sabine62.deviantart.com
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »

...For some reason I didn't get any notice in my email while I did enable notifying for this thread neither for the catmull-rom-spline thread, maybe the site update messes this up? sad Just hope that swingsoneto will get to see this too.

I'll patiently await your update;)

The site update will not effect the live site at all!

We are thinking about a few things, but all involve not touching this site and using a sub-domain for any updates.

If anything, glitches in site functionality are from NOT updating!  PHP has been updated and this version of the forum is 2 or 3 versions of php behind in it's code.  Eventually it will become nonfunctional as php evolves more.  We can't just update to a newer forum version as too many features in use would fail instantly.  

Sorry for any inconvenience, but be aware that a whole new forum is planned, and when the time comes the idea is to open that in a sub-domain and leave this as an archive with no registration or posting possible  (we'd change the top banner on every page to point to the new site, with an explanation).  Then we'd all have a brand new, up to date forum.  Only complication is everyone would have to register there and we'd all be new members - unless we can smoothly import the member database.  But that would bring a bunch of junk accounts who have not been here for a long time...

It's tricky.  But whatever we do will not effect this current forum!

Sorry to divert from your conversation, but it is a thing we do not want members to worry about!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »

Thank you very much for explaining, @Sockratease  A Beer Cup
It's a big relief to know that all will remain in perfect order, especially the e-mailfunction, I find it a struggle as it is not to sign out inadvertently before having read the updates in the threads I find interesting wink

Also thank you for a glance at the future of FF smiley

sabine62.deviantart.com
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: