Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 03:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: What do you call this type of fractal/geometric technique:  (Read 554 times)
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« on: September 07, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »

Basically, I'm ending up copying a single edge of a tetrahedron a varying number of integer times around the x axis (so I'm just copying a line... and using the edge of a tetrahedron because.. because... I don't know):

Start with a single Sierpinski (I'm basically using it for its edges- I'm looking for the name of this type of line copy escape time fractal)

Duplicate it around the origin, oriented so the edge points at the x-axis (I think I'm just copying the edge lines of the tetrahedron- the details I'm interested in come from the edge lines):

I pull it in a bit more than that, so the Sierpinskis are touching/overlapping.  

Anyways.. if I keep on duplicating (more iterations of duplication increases pattern size), varying the number of copies around the x axis, and sometimes making them curves, I end up with doily like patterns:

I think the majority of the geometry comes from the copying around the x axis vary numbers of times, and sometimes applying a circular transform for... more circular effects:

https://goo.gl/photos/dvdaxGGZRp5behXJ6

I think it might be better to just start out with a couple of lines and copy them around a bunch.. instead of doing 3d Sierpinski's for their edges, I just really like using M3D.  Probably need to make some kind of line fractal code.  Just a couple of thin cylinders.  I wonder if I could use different ones??  Or even use different edge positioning to get a bit more out of the 3d geometry?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:30:31 PM by M Benesi » Logged

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »

It seems like you're linking to private stuff (maybe a personal Google+ page?) which most viewers don't have permission to view.

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »

Ok.  I wonder if my other threads demoing new formulas are the same way... jeeezy peezy.  I was doing the standard right click, get image location, which used to work in the old Google Picasa.. mehh.

I think this happened before.  Thanks Google (well, good for a lot of stuff, but seriously, this is crappy). 

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »

I think so (and I think I mentioned something about it the last time too, hehe).

Anyway, fixed now. Nice colours and geometry cheesy

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »

I think so (and I think I mentioned something about it the last time too, hehe).

Anyway, fixed now. Nice colours and geometry cheesy

Thanks for mentioning it (both times  embarrass embarrass).

I looked at a few other threads anonymously and couldn't see the majority of my images, so went through and corrected them as well. 

I think I switch back in forth between using Google Picasa's image archive and Google photos... and since they switched from Picasa, I've regularly accidentally used the photos instead of the archive, which uses the old format urls that can be embedded.

I will probably forget again and because Google photo urls sort of annoy me because they are so long, and I'll just associate the feeling of "this is wrong somehow" with the image urls.  grrr... 

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »

hehe..  Mengercomb:

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: