Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 10:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Orthogonal projection + slicing  (Read 1876 times)
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »

Hey,

Trying to recreate mandelbulb-like voxel rendering in fragmentarium.
I added simple fractal slicing and tweaking a bit with coloring allows for more less BW export.

I wonder how to get orthogonal projection in the DE-raytracer.
I guess it is orthogonal at FOV = 0 (out of the box), but that won't work.

Can anybody post a tweak to get simple ortho projection with the latest DE-raytracer?
i guess thaat should be a piece of cake for the authors of the tracer.

Much appreciated.

Second thing - can you guys elaborate on simple tweaks to get rid of fractal 'interior' meat when rendering slices (I'm just clipping output with a thin box volume).

Thanks!

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »

look in Examples/

try the 2D camera

or use an "ortho" function as in IBL-Pathtracer.frag...
Code:
vec3 ortho(vec3 d) {
if (abs(d.x)>0.00001 || abs(d.y)>0.00001) {
return vec3(d.y,-d.x,0.0);
} else  {
return vec3(0.0,d.z,-d.y);
}
}
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:11:05 PM by 3dickulus, Reason: up » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 12:33:59 AM »

are you looking for single pixel slices for building a point cloud from a series of images? there might already be such thing, maybe re:3Dprinting

p.s... the ortho function above (probably not what you want) would need to be tailored to your needs of course.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »

Yes Dick, the ultimate goal is to implement pointcloud export.
As far as I understand doing it the proper way from scratch would be demanding as requires different approach than the one used for rendering.
But since we already have a good workflow for automated merging of BW slice images into pointlclouds in Krakatoa I was thinking about a simple workaround and using existing DE-raytracer with a few changes to render out a sequence.

If you have any better ideas - let me know.
This morning I also had a thought - there are many folks interested in printing stuff and the workflow usually assumed rendering voxels, recreating object mesh and then STLing to print. Full of artifacts. But actually I don't see anything against one writing a program to directly print using the DE-estimation method. Or I missed something and it looks like daydreaming?

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »

using the "search" box (top right) type in point cloud and click the search button, you will see a lot of posts, some may have code or give you an idea of how to do it. I haven't looked into it specifically for Fragmentarium.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:44:31 PM »

The 'ortho' function is for creating an arbitrary orthogonal vector. It is not related to orthographic perspective. But I don't think you should use any projection if you want to render slices. Instead render the fractal in 2D. Look at 'examples/theory/mandelbulb-slicer.frag'. There are four panels when it runs: the lower left is a 2D slice.

This morning I also had a thought - there are many folks interested in printing stuff and the workflow usually assumed rendering voxels, recreating object mesh and then STLing to print. Full of artifacts. But actually I don't see anything against one writing a program to directly print using the DE-estimation method. Or I missed something and it looks like daydreaming?

I did some time ago, while playing around with OpenGL in Java. I did a gpu accelerated DE -> OBJ exporter (using marching cubes which is the standard method). I created a few 3D prints using this technique: http://www.shapeways.com/product/GQMXP6ZMX/mandelbulb-iii

The code is online (at https://github.com/Syntopia/Meshia/tree/master/meshia/src/net/hvidtfeldts) but it is to much of a mess to be really usable - but the marching cube implementation may serve as inspiration.
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »

Nice one, thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: