Logo by simon.snake - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:23:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: DirectX 11 compute shader / Directx 10 Pixel shader implementation  (Read 13703 times)
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« on: November 28, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »

Currently this code does quaternion julias, but within a few hours it could do Mandelbulbs. It's the second posting on the page. It's all about replacing the DE method with the proper Mandelbulb formula.

http://users.skynet.be/fquake/

Anyone interested in compute shaders, having DirectX 11 class hardware might have a go at this.
Or anyone familiar with Pixel Shader 4.0 and DirectX 10.

The code comes with full source code. Enjoy wink The minimum requirement is Windows Vista (because of DX10 requirement). You would need a Visual C++ 2005 or 2008 Express edition (free download from MS!), the latest Windows SDK (for DirectX 11) and some spare time.

Christian

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:32:01 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »

I have zero experience with the GPU stuff.
I downloaded your program, but it will not run; it cannot find "d3d11.dll". What exactly should I download from good old Microsoft to make this work?
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:32:26 AM »

I have zero experience with the GPU stuff.
I downloaded your program, but it will not run; it cannot find "d3d11.dll". What exactly should I download from good old Microsoft to make this work?

Not my program. I just found it by accident, searching for some GPU related software.

You are lacking DirectX11 apparently, which was included in a Windows Vista platform update released a couple of weeks ago. I think Windows Update shows this one as an optional update - so you may have missed out on it so far. Another requirement here is Vista Service Pack 2, otherwise this platform update won't be available.

I got this program to run after I updated my Vista SP1 to SP2 today (the lack of DX11 in my Vista was the final straw)

If the program still doesn't run after installing DX11, it could be your GPU just isn't up to it yet.

Don't be discouraged by the GPU stuff. If you can program in C/C++, you would be able to modify the shader to suit your needs. All the DirectX and platform specific things are already taken care of - well OK potentially you need to set up a development environment in which to compile the C++ code if you want to do a bit more than just modifying the HLSL shader code (which conveniently is just an ASCII text file situated in the program folder).

Christian
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:09:07 AM by cbuchner1 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: