END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 10:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: updating of DE-Raytracer  (Read 37537 times)
Description: adding features in DE-raytracer: volumetric light, kaliset3d, clouds...
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »

an earth golem? afro

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »

No ) Just an idea for soaring islands.

Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:57 PM »

@Crist-JRoger: The image from early June is very nice - looks almost natural.

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »

Max Sinister, Thank you! )

Decided to add some features for DE, like PK mod, but more "textured", working process goes very slowly without GLSL basics. Maybe soon I will have version for sharing... it will be slower monster for good GPUs  cheesy
This features works well:
- terrain with switch (cnoise, IQ, mixed);
- terrain multitexturing (2 modes);
- terrain heightmapping;
- IBL mode for terrain/floor;
- main object multitexturing (6 modes);
- background equirectangularMap picture;
- background sky;
- water surface;

Material gloss from PK still works not so good. Now testing renders, basically environment:

knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2016, 06:55:45 PM »

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2016, 07:47:44 PM »

Crist-JRoger   Fantastic work!  A Beer Cup
PS. I have a very nice gpu   wink

sabine62.deviantart.com
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2016, 08:39:38 PM »

that looks really good! bravo!

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »

Finally snore  http://sta.sh/013fhfwazcd4 renderer with presets and some textures
Not optimized and not tested on hard settings  lips are sealed

Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2016, 12:03:05 AM »

A Beer Cup A Beer Cup A Beer Cup

Beautiful effects! Will need much more time to explore, but want you to know: runs great on my gpu! And Fast! Hardly any difference with other very simple .frags. Will see how it does with .frags that eat more resource smiley

sabine62.deviantart.com
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »

On some renders i noticed that godrays doesn't reflects on surfaces (fractal or floor), and i thought it has been "conceived" ) or characteristic of DE renderer.
But now tested, see that rays are reflected! Sometimes  grin sometimes not, or when reflNumb=2 second reflection sotronger than first. Master Knighty, could you explain this?  embarrass

* 2017-01-16_233726.jpg (69.01 KB, 600x400 - viewed 492 times.)

* 2017-01-16_235131.jpg (55.43 KB, 600x400 - viewed 496 times.)

* 2017-01-17_001040.jpg (65.08 KB, 600x400 - viewed 508 times.)
* PseudoKleinian03.frag (10.19 KB - downloaded 250 times.)

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2017, 04:16:48 AM »

I'm not Master Knighty, but I do work on a commercial unbiased ray tracer, so I'll drop my 2c here smiley

The root cause is the famous "problem of insufficient techniques" in path tracing, and it can be explained roughly as follows: say you're at some point in space, and you want to know how much light is coming in from all directions; for the direct (unreflected) light, you can make quite a good guess by picking directions that go directly towards the light sources. So that's nice, you can quite accurately match the distribution of incoming light, and you get a reasonably low variance Monte Carlo estimator. However, for once-, twice-, ... n-times bounced light, the problem is much more difficult: how can you know in which directions to send rays, so that they will reflect off some surface and happen to go through the little holes in the "ceiling" to reach the light source?

The answer is that you can't, in general, and although there are methods like Metropolis Light Transport which improve the efficiency using Markov Chain Monte Carlo to explore similar paths once one is found, it doesn't help you efficiently find them in the first place.

So, in order to have volumetric caustics, you'd need to solve this famous unsolved problem in computer graphics, and I read somewhere that it's very unlikely to be solved, because you can make optical computers, and knowing whether light paths go a certain way a priori is basically equivalent to solving the famous Halting Problem. Now, Knighty is clearly one hell of a wizard, but I doubt even he can solve this problem... so the practical alternatives are: have extreeeemely noisy renders with reflected caustics (sampling all directions uniformly, with very low efficiency / actual light-carrying paths), or simply exclude the effect. Knighty chose the latter, more workable, alternative, so that you don't have tons of noise in every render.

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:27 AM »

Thank you, master Lyc  wink
I think I never understood this without appropriate education. I just began ratiocinate: here on this example we have lightsource and enabled vol.light with godrays that shines in all directions. Than we have obstacle - fractal with holes. The ray enters and reaches the next obstacle - surface. That's all, it works. So then we enable reflections (1 step) ans we see all objects reflected. Our lightray reflects too at the same angle as reached the surface. I'm not meaning that lightray will reflect from surface and goes again in space (it sounds fantastic for free soft). I mean just displaying ray on reflecting surface (1st and 3rd pictures on prev.post). But(!) sometimes lightrays not reflected (2nd pic). So, one reason that we see differents - camera was mooved or FOV was changed.
You wrote why this (really this? or it was about caustic effects?) is happening in a global sense, but as i know DE-Kn renderer is not Monte Carlo. I do not like to operate with concepts that unclear to me. And very interested to know something new.

Ironically... a man without special education or programming skills started this topic  Azn

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »

You wrote why this (really this? or it was about caustic effects?) is happening in a global sense, but as i know DE-Kn renderer is not Monte Carlo. I do not like to operate with concepts that unclear to me. And very interested to know something new.
There is definitely integration: the god rays are done by integrating the incoming light along a viewing ray times by the transmission. This is done by something like normal quadrature (like you learn in high school, with many "boxes" of small size approximating the area under the curve), and probably a little random offset to make sure it converges properly, then it becomes a little Monte Carlo like. But for the higher-order light scattering, like when you want to know how much light reaches the current point *including* paths that have been reflected off the ground, then you have to integrate over all directions, since as mentioned you can't easily know a priori which directions will definitely lead you to the light source.

The usual way to do this integral is Monte Carlo, since it'll take quite a lot of samples in total to get a clean result, and it doesn't suffer from the so-called "curse of dimensionality": if you use some # of samples to estimate the incoming light from all directions, let's say 4 (very low quality estimate), then for 1 bounce you need 4 samples... manageable... but then for 2 bounces you need 16, then 64 for 3 bounces, etc. It quickly gets out of control and you spend so much time in these higher bounces (which usually contribute much less than the lower bounces) that it becomes very inefficient. This by the way is why path tracing is called path tracing: it is non-recursive, tracing only a single path at a time without exploding exponentially. There's a classic diagram from the original 1986 paper by James Kajiya on the Rendering Equation illustrating it (attached to this post).

Ironically... a man without special education or programming skills started this topic  Azn
Unfortunately I didn't even finish a normal university degree, and got an E for mathematics at the end of high school Sceptical As Mark Twain said, and I am fond of repeating, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

* kajiya path tracing.PNG (53.67 KB, 870x462 - viewed 495 times.)

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »

You try to say that we don't know about existence of light rays on reflective surface? But they exists ))) here:

* _233726.JPG (27.04 KB, 600x400 - viewed 472 times.)

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »

Hmmm, might be that we're thinking of a different problem. Attached is what I meant: at the point p, you have to choose a direction which will reflect off the ground and go through the small "window" to reach the light source.

* missing light bounces.jpg (81.57 KB, 619x428 - viewed 699 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: