Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 01:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: How does Fractalius of photoshop work?  (Read 22301 times)
Simba
Forums Newbie

« on: June 25, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »

Hello,

I am using the Fractalius plugin from Photoshop a while and I am always wondering how this works.
I tried to find it out by trying some simple shapes and look to find some patterns.
Now I know a little bit more, but still I have no idea how it works at all...  embarrass sad
I have some questions and hopefully, someone here is able to find an answer to these questions:

-The pugin Fractalius is using "hidden texture fractals". What do they mean with that?
Is there an algorithm which calculates the fractal and after that it is making a summation for the average color it has to
give to one pixel? Is every pixel calculated at the same time?

-Is there one way to find out some important calculations in a fractal pattern of the Fractalius plugin?

-I don`t think the Fractalius algorithm does something with iteration...that is something that I expect from fractals, but
it seems not happening, is this true?

-Is there one Fractalius option which is similar to a popular/well known fractals pattern?

Many thanks already by reading this wink
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »

Hello,

I am using the Fractalius plugin from Photoshop a while and I am always wondering how this works.
I tried to find it out by trying some simple shapes and look to find some patterns.
Now I know a little bit more, but still I have no idea how it works at all...  embarrass sad
I have some questions and hopefully, someone here is able to find an answer to these questions:

-The pugin Fractalius is using "hidden texture fractals". What do they mean with that?
Is there an algorithm which calculates the fractal and after that it is making a summation for the average color it has to
give to one pixel? Is every pixel calculated at the same time?

-Is there one way to find out some important calculations in a fractal pattern of the Fractalius plugin?

-I don`t think the Fractalius algorithm does something with iteration...that is something that I expect from fractals, but
it seems not happening, is this true?

-Is there one Fractalius option which is similar to a popular/well known fractals pattern?

Many thanks already by reading this wink

I have used fractalius and do not believe it truly uses fractal math to make it's effects.

They just look a bit fractally   cool

It's just a filter for making highly stylized images with a name that sounds like Fractal.

If you really want to know more, contact the people at Redfeld who actually make the filter and see how much information they are willing to share  (and please do post here whatever response you get!).

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
xenodreambuie
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »

The short answer: LIC
(Google Line Integral Convolution for the long answer)

Regards, Garth
http://xenodream.com
Simba
Forums Newbie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »

Thanks for the information smiley

Is there another program which is an alternative to photoshop and the Fractalius plug-in which is using real Fractals?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »

Thanks for the information smiley

Is there another program which is an alternative to photoshop and the Fractalius plug-in which is using real Fractals?

How about...  I don't know...  a Fractal Generator?

They don't stylize the same way, but they can be great fun for image editing!

Here's the woman I love in one of the many images of her that wound up going through a fractal generator for fun and profit!

And here's one from another fractal generator  (the last one was done in Mutatorkammer, while this next one was done in ChaosPro)  (both are free and fun to play with!)

Again, neither is anything like Fractalius.  But that is a unique filter and I have never seen anything else that does similar things  (except ATX, which doesn't count because it's from the same developer and probably using the same techniques).

I say it shouldn't matter how it does what it does.  If you like the results - that is all that matters!

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Simba
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »

Again, neither is anything like Fractalius.  But that is a unique filter and I have never seen anything else that does similar things  (except ATX, which doesn't count because it's from the same developer and probably using the same techniques).

Do you mean that Fractalius is the only programm that does image editing with 'Fractals'?

Is there still (another) programm which is able to build a copy of a picture with real Fractals?
And it is hard for me to find out what mutatorkammer is able to do with image editing exactly (because I am really not a professional if it comes to the backgrounds of fractals in software). What are the possibilities of Mutatorkammer if it comes to image editing? Does Mutatorkammer use Real Fractals?

(I really like the last one made in ChaosPro by the way! grin)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:06:32 AM by Simba » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »

Do you mean that Fractalius is the only programm that does image editing with 'Fractals'?

No.

I am saying Fractalius does not use fractals!

Here's a wikipedia article on the technique mentioned by Xenodreambuie : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_integral_convolution

Is there still (another) programm which is able to build a copy of a picture with real Fractals?
And it is hard for me to find out what mutatorkammer is able to do with image editing exactly (because I am really not a professional if it comes to the backgrounds of fractals in software).

Mutatorkammer is an old and out of development program.  It never even made it out of the beta stage, but I found it able to do amazing things unlike other similar software.

It was easy for me while others have found it confusing - but I have a hard time with software other people say is easy  (like UltraFractal, which in theory can do the same sorts of things).

What are the possibilities of Mutatorkammer if it comes to image editing? Does Mutatorkammer use Real Fractals?

How about this for possibilities :

Click to see video

or even this :

Click to see video

Those are old and from before I got decent video editing software.  Plus, photobucket compression makes it blurry and full of artifacts.

I may need to re-render those one day...

(I really like the last one made in ChaosPro by the way! grin)

Thanks!   bubble gum
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:57:01 AM by Sockratease, Reason: Speelinf Eroorz » Logged

richardrosenman
Conqueror

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »

I have created several fractal Photoshop plugins (available for free), including Fractus which is pretty powerful.

You can find them here: http://www.fractalforums.com/fractus/

-Richard

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: