Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 07:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: New C++ library helps simplfy multi-thread/core programming  (Read 636 times)
Description: Introduction to high-level multithreading in C++ via Intel TBB library (Blog)
hsmyers
Navigator

Making Mandelbrots from Newtons for years

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

Good article, possibly very good lib  cheesy

--hsm

Edit: Opps, forgot the link  embarrass

try: http://blog.ruslans.com/2013/08/introduction-to-high-level.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:29:35 PM by hsmyers, Reason: Added missing link <end-bad-pun/> » Logged

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »

Forgot the link?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
hsmyers
Navigator

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »

Yup---fixed now.

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »

the same functionality is provided by Microsoft Visual Studio in the Parallel Patterns Library, which comes with any edition of Visual C++ or Studio (including Express versions)

Furthermore all professional versions of this IDE also support MPI, but unfortunately not the latest version of this language dialect. But you can still do portable code with it (code that compiles on both gcc and Visual C++, if needed).

EDIT: should have said OpenMP not MPI

Christian

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:33:01 AM by cbuchner1 » Logged
mfeemster
Alien

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »

hsmyers,

Good post. I've been using TBB and Microsoft's PPL for about a year and a half now and absolutely love them. They are a godsend for people who do multi-threaded programming. There are few developments in the computing world that actually excite me, and this is one of them. Given the simplicity of the interface versus how much functionality they offer, using them is a no-brainer. I encourage all developers to re-write their MT code using these libraries. There's simply no need for the traditional threading model butchering your code just to get something to run in parallel.

cbuchner1,

I prefer TBB simply because it's cross platform and non-proprietary. Intel did a great job.

On a side note, I've seen your posts around here and on the nVidia forums over the last few years. I noticed you expressed interest a while back in Fractron, but sadly the project went nowhere after it's initial release. I wanted to let you know that I've been working on a similar project for the last year and am about 2 months away from an initial release. It's been a tremendous amount of work, but I am very excited about it. I will post it on this site, hopefully you'll like it. Keep an eye out!

Also, have you been working on/interested in any other projects over the last year or so?

hsmyers
Navigator

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »

Please let me know when you release (alpha, beta, production, I don't care smiley )

Every time I start to think about writing YANFP (Yet Another Fractal Program) I get distracted by testing formulas in UF5 and Saturn.  wink That said, I've at least recovered working versions (under DOSBox) of FracTools and some related Bourbaki software so things are at least on a historical basis. I rewrote FracZooms as a win-app using Borland C++ but rather stupidly lost the code  cry I'm leaning towards creating another version with VS2012 but have yet to get off of my dead rear end to do so. Certainly if I do I'll let folks know! It is fun to think that after all of these years, I'm still playing with 'pretty pictures' and still loving it  cheesy

--hsm

mfeemster
Alien

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:22:43 AM »

I will definitely keep you posted.

Of course you're playing with pretty pictures. You wouldn't want to look at ugly ones! Haha.

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »

hsmyers,

Also, have you been working on/interested in any other projects over the last year or so?

cudaMiner, an application for mining Litecoins on nVidia GPUs. Other than that, I had to
take care of my 1 1/2 year old son wink
mfeemster
Alien

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:54:54 AM »

cudaMiner, an application for mining Litecoins on nVidia GPUs. Other than that, I had to
take care of my 1 1/2 year old son wink

Ah ok cool. Congrats on having a son. I think you'll like what I release.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: