Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 11:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hairy Julias - no-zoom Mandelbrot  (Read 1188 times)
claude
Fractal Bachius

« on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »

http://archive.org/details/hairy_julias_2013-06-18

A Mandelbrot set fractal video with no zooming!

I hope to find time later this week to write a blog post about how I made it.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »

it is interesting, if i understand it right, those locations are just found in the mset and assembled together to look like a zoom ?=

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:44:34 PM »

interesting idea

claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »

it is interesting, if i understand it right, those locations are just found in the mset and assembled together to look like a zoom ?=

Yes, something along those lines - I wrote one blog post about it so far, more to come..

http://mathr.co.uk/blog/2013-06-23_patterns_of_periods_in_the_mandelbrot_set.html

Each frame is an embedded Julia set near an island, each section loops around one island, the whole video loops around the (top half of) the whole set.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:29:56 PM »

wow, the nicest document i have seen talking about these periods! congrats
may i ask how you detected such deeper periods?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »

wow, the nicest document i have seen talking about these periods! congrats
may i ask how you detected such deeper periods?

Thanks smiley

I'm using the Jordan curve method described here (essentially: make a box of C coordinates around the target, iterate them until their Z's surround the origin):

http://mrob.com/pub/muency/period.html "Finding the period of a mu-atom"

I use my explorer[0] to navigate to a region of interest, then hold down control and left-click where I want to label, then it finds the period and adds a text label (which stays in place relative to the set when zooming in/out).

It finds the center with that period using Newton's method to know where precisely to put the label.  And there's a feature to find the size of the atom (by using Newton's method to find the bond with the 1/2 child bulb) and automagically zoom in to a region around the atom.

(0) http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gruff written in Haskell with some heavy dependencies, probably a nightmare to get running if you don't have Haskell experience... am eventually going to rewrite it in C or C++ because it seems the GHC/GMP/MPFR incompatibility issue isn't going to go away any time soon sad
Fracturbator
Alien

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »

I really enjoyed your animation - quite a different approach from the usual stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: