Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 06:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3D Printed Cross Sections of the Menger Sponge  (Read 4545 times)
tit_toinou
Iterator

« on: April 02, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »

Hi all,

I made the cross sections of the menger sponge on Shapeways.com :

Étoile de Menger 8cm

Étoile de Menger 5cm

Triangle de Menger

Losange de Menger

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »

that star shapes are just awesome, as i told before, i like that they are just inside the menger when cutting diagonally,
i wonder how smooth the diagonal parts are, because the rasterization may lead to pixel-stepping !?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

By the way, there is at least one more interesting shape hiding in that Menger sponge.

Starting from the whole cube, you can cut away a total of four "Triangle de Menger" pieces (2nd to last picture). You end up with a regular tetrahedron that has four identical faces, each looking like the equilateral face of of a "Triangle de Menger".
tit_toinou
Iterator

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »

that star shapes are just awesome, as i told before, i like that they are just inside the menger when cutting diagonally,
i wonder how smooth the diagonal parts are, because the rasterization may lead to pixel-stepping !?
I'm mesmerised too.
There's no pixel-stepping.
I didn't do (for example) what bib does for creating 3d models, i.e. creating little cubes from a DE formula.
I created individually all the little cubes. And I computed the intersections for the cubes crossing the plane.
Computing cross sections of a cube is a pain in the ass, by the way Grin with closed eyes .

By the way, there is at least one more interesting shape hiding in that Menger sponge.

Starting from the whole cube, you can cut away a total of four "Triangle de Menger" pieces (2nd to last picture). You end up with a regular tetrahedron that has four identical faces, each looking like the equilateral face of of a "Triangle de Menger".
How do you "cut" a cube with fours planes and end up with a tetrahedron ?
I can see how to cut it with height planes and end up with an octahedron !
I'll try to create it I think it'll be worth it.

I've also spotted a mix between "Losange de Menger" and "Triangle de Menger" I have to render it.

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »

How do you "cut" a cube with fours planes and end up with a tetrahedron ?
Consider the eight corners of a cube. Imagine coloring those corners with a checkerboard pattern, that is, pick one corner and color it black. Then color the three adjacent corners white. Now the immediate neighbors of the new white corners can be colored black, and so on. Eventually you will have four black corners and four white corners.

Now you can cut four tetrahedra from the original cube in the following way: start from a black corner and place a cutting plane through three adjacent white corners. This can be done for all four black cube corners.
tit_toinou
Iterator

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »

@hobold: Ok i'll try that.

I've found a way to get three designs into one object Grin with closed eyes :

Tranches de Menger

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »

just for completion, haltenny posted this in response the menger contact
https://simonsfoundation.org/multimedia/mathematical-impressions-the-surprising-menger-sponge-slice/

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: