Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 01:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Dynamic Fractal Waves  (Read 1597 times)
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »

Nice video eiffie! thanks for including the reference to my thread.

I had never placed one DE inside another - tricky! lol

Ok, here it is:

<a href="https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lehdwz95aneujab/poo_002.swf" target="_blank">https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lehdwz95aneujab/poo_002.swf</a>

Finally I did it this way:

Code:
de = min(max(waterde, -objectde), objectde);

It turned to be quite easy, but I had the problem of the underwater object colored like the water, to avoid this I checked the difference between objectde and waterde, and if it's smaller than a given treshold (0.01 worked fine), it uses the object's coloring and off course stops tracing if the ray is inside the water and collides with an opaque object.

But why isn't the octopus under there??

Sorry for the floating fractal poo rolling on floor laughing -  I'll put the octopus next time, I promise!

I still have to work on the shadow tracing to finish this mod of Syntopia's tracer. Also the fog is not working properly because of the ray bounces, I must replace it with another algorithm.

Btw, did you use some similar approach to the "de inside a de" problem?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:50:35 PM by Kali » Logged

knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »

Nice! Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:08 PM »

really nice, although this water does not get reflected on the border, i like the general flow of the water knowing that it is the most cheapest water algorithm i know so far!!!

perhaps making an infinite plane cheesy and with caustics huh?

you know, object fluid interaction is always hard to reach, and this is a real nice impression, i would love the demo scene would make use of it, but i am going to have a message for the demo scene in my next gallery episode smiley i want them that they greet us for giving them the algorithms, or credit us cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »

Thanks knighty and Chris!

really nice, although this water does not get reflected on the border, i like the general flow of the water knowing that it is the most cheapest water algorithm i know so far!!!

You mean the reflected waves? I was thinking on how to do it... I guess is a bit difficult on pure GPU without using a buffer, but being a cheap algorithm, maybe it can be done by "wave tracing"... i.e. recreating the waves evolution from the starting state to the current frame state. It will get slower as time passes, but who knows...
Another approach is to fake it with waves generators at the borders, synced to the arrival of the incident waves, but only practicable on very simple scenes.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »

yes for sure, but since it is purely deterministic, it is basicall just an offset from the starting wave in the middle wink
but surely 4 initiators would make it more complex, but this is the "ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" effect that some people really like

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: