Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 12:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Cern expected to announce Higgs boson evidence...  (Read 6055 times)
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« on: July 04, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »

shocked shocked shocked Press conference at 11.00 AM European time:

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »

LOL, i hope this time they have learned from their neutrino hoax desaster  grin

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »

grin Well, they seem to be a bit more careful this time... (watching it right now)

(A "Higgs-like Boson"... will know for sure in 3-4 years maybe...)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:51:21 AM by KRAFTWERK » Logged

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »

obviously, they are more careful.
they numeralise the significance of the data to 4,9 Sigma. a Discovery starts at 5...

not so bad, i guess.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »

lol, although i dont know anything about it, here is an article
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/07/higgs_boson_announcement_from_cern_why_the_god_particle_is_so_important_.html

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »

obviously, they are more careful.
they numeralise the significance of the data to 4,9 Sigma. a Discovery starts at 5...

not so bad, i guess.

No, not too bad... The Director General of CERN put it well, he said "As a layman I would say 'This is the Higgs particle', but as a scientist I say 'which particle is it?'

This could be BIG...  afro

...130 times the mass of a proton... shocked

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jul/04/higgs-boson-cern-scientists-discover

^...is that a _SphereInv hybrid???

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:33:29 PM by KRAFTWERK » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

another higgs explanation
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/03/12547980-the-higgs-boson-made-simple?lite

i just hope that no new weapons can be done with it, and more hope in advances to fusion core reactors cheesy

---

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »

and now?

imho the interresting question is: can higgs cast a little light on the strange value called "dark matter" - in literal sense...

Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »

and now?

imho the interresting question is: can higgs cast a little light on the strange value called "dark matter" - in literal sense...
Not shure. Dark matter is just weakly interactive particles with no electrical charge and some other things we don't see. Everything we just don't see. They could be neutrinos, micro black holes - holeums, burned out stars and all another stuff put together.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:35:14 PM by Asdam » Logged

fractal catalisator
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »

Not shure. Dark matter is just weakly interactive particles with no electrical charge and some other things we don't see. Everything we just don't see. They could be neutrinos, micro black holes - holeums, burned out stars and all another stuff put together.

today, dark matter is nothing more than a value, that's needed, to match standard model with observation. a few scientists (not many) are already assuming, that dark matter (and dark energy) is a helpless attempt to save a basically wrong theory.
when higgs - the last unfound particle of standard model, can't enlighten some aspects of a value related to mass, the number of physicists, declining standard model will grow and i could understand.
while we are talking today about candidates for a "theory of everything" we only know about 4% of universes containment. higgs should bring significant improvement, or it's getting similar ridiculous, than at the end of the 19th century, where scientists honestly believed, physics is a science close to completion.

we'll see...  wink

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »

what i cant understand is, scientists ( i studied astronomy a few semesters ) say that dark matter is something special, and that visible material ( suns ) are far more than the "unlightened" material, but i could imagine that "dark matter" is just unlightened material that is floating around, like planets without sun, or astreroid belts, that cant be seen because the are not near a lighting source ... they always say ... just look at our solar system, sun has far more mass than any planet, but couldnt it just be that, planets overcount suns on universe scales ?!?!??! they just cant be seen, and could explain why outer regions of out galaxy move with same speed as inner parts ?!?!?

---

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »

and that visible material ( suns ) are far more than the "unlightened" material, but i could imagine that "dark matter" is just unlightened material that is floating around, like planets without sun, or astreroid belts
more than unlikely and afaik no scientist even considers this. it would need about six times more "dust" than suns (or even black holes, that are barionic, "light" matter).
just to bring it back to mind. the word dark matter implies, that scientists would have some imagination of what they are talking about, but besides the value they don't have. they have two very successful theories (and they are very successful, noone declines that), but when they observe the rotation of galaxies, the theories fail massively. so they need to add an additional force to declare the behaviour of the galaxies.
dark matter is not an implication of the standard model, it's an implication of observations to save the possibility, that the standard model could be right. we should not forget this.
with dark energy it's very similar, but the higgs boson does not promise help here.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

LOL, i hope this time they have learned from their neutrino hoax desaster  grin
grin Well, they seem to be a bit more careful this time...

You know, they actually were quite rigorous, there. All they were saying back then, was: "HELP, we have a systematic error. Please help us find it. We measured neutrinos that went faster than light."
It was just the media that blew it up into "ZOMG EINSTEIN WAS WRONG!"

They still are quite careful now, saying "it's a Higgs-like particle", as opposed to "it's the Higgs!"
eiffie
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »

Agreed kram! It actually boosted my level of confidence that real science is alive and well, hearing them say "we don't get it but here are our results".
LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

Clouds, mountains, trees, lungs alveolae ... are all examples of natural fractals in the macroworld.

Are there any fractal features down there at the scale of the subatomic microwolrd of elementary particles?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: