Logo by wmauzey - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 07:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Requesting clarifications on the fractal flame algorithm  (Read 4051 times)
Sigillum Militum
Alien

« on: March 31, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »

Here I'm going on the original paper: http://flam3.com/flame.pdf

The flam3 source code is far less clear than I'd like (and appears to implement a lot of tricks not specified in the paper) and Kandid and Apophysis both use it.

The normal algorithm for solving for S is called the chaos game. In pseudocode it is:

Code:
(x, y)= a random point in the bi-unit square
iterate { i = a random integer from 0 to n − 1 inclusive
    (x, y) = F_i(x, y)
    plot(x, y) except during the first 20 iterations
}

Does fractal flame rendition really require you to iterate the transform 20 or so times before you plot the point? With a standard IFS you don't need to do that.

The bi-unit square are those points where x and y are both in [-1,1].

Do I need to make sure points fall within the bi-unit square? I wouldn't think so.

We now generalize this algorithm. The first step is to use a larger class of functions than just affine functions. Start by composing a non-linear function V_j from R^2 to R^2 with the affine functions ...

The non-linear functions are given in the back of the paper. What are some good ways to get affine functions for inside V_j short of evolution?

Would these do e.g.?

http://ecademy.agnesscott.edu/~lriddle/ifskit/gallery/gallery.htm

Are post and final transforms necessary to get decent looking flames? Furthermore the pseudocode for final transforms is unclear.

Code:
    (x, y) = Fi(x, y)
    (x_f , y_f) = F_final(x, y)
    plot(x_f , y_f) except during the first 20 iterations
}

So, the paper tells me that the final transform is not "in the loop" (apparently meaning that it comes after all the 20 or whatever iterations) but in the pseudocode it seems otherwise.

Regarding colors. We'll assume I want an RGB image. So, assuming I'm reading the paper right, Pythonic code for increment would be like:

Code:
pixel['red'] = (c_i + pixel['red']) / 2
pixel['green'] = (c_i + pixel['green']) / 2
pixel['blue'] = (c_i + pixel['blue']) / 2
pixel['alpha'] += 1

Then, when all iterations are done, and I'm ready to plot the image, for each pixel, I do:

Code:
pixel['red'] = pixel['red'] * math.log(pixel['alpha']) / pixel['alpha']
pixel['green'] = pixel['green'] * math.log(pixel['alpha']) / pixel['alpha']
pixel['blue'] = pixel['blue'] * math.log(pixel['alpha']) / pixel['alpha']

...and then do a linear scale of these values from [0,1] to [0,255], like here e.g. (will be required for both the python prototype I plan on writing and the OCaml final which will output PPM files)

Code:
pixel['red'] = int(255 * pixel['red'])

The thing is, do I also scale alpha? If so, before or after the color channels?

TIA
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »

hi there, thats alot questions ...

from the start ...

you ommit the first 20 iterations just to get your point on the track ... you plot each iteration, but the starting is most often not in the "real" set that is represented through your set of affine ( or non affine using the so called flame method ... ) transforms ... after 20 iterations you can say, ok now i am on my set that i have defined ... but the 20 is just arbitrary number, could be lower or higher ... as you wish ... the single point does not really affekt the resulting image, but some people feel disturbed by the starting point wink

The bi-unit square are those points where x and y are both in [-1,1].

Do I need to make sure points fall within the bi-unit square? I wouldn't think so.
dude, lols, dont be so angry, it is just a definition ...

and the 1 is always a magic number, you can say that a transformation that has determinant bigger than 1 lets your formula explode, because it would scale the value by the amount, and you now, a scale of 2 is very quick growing if you repeat it ... 2*2*2*2*2... so, and when using ifs function you want your transforms to stay below 1, so that your formula is not so likely to explode, and the same rule counts in for negative values, hence the bi-unit square makes a lot sense here....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »

Are post and final transforms necessary to get decent looking flames? Furthermore the pseudocode for final transforms is unclear.

Code:
    (x, y) = Fi(x, y)
    (x_f , y_f) = F_final(x, y)
    plot(x_f , y_f) except during the first 20 iterations
}

Yes !! Yes !! Yes !!

It's absolutely necessary especially for nonlinear stuff, and for placing "fixed" elements correctly like noise and "shaped noise"

Final transform is "less necessary" but cool for an additional effect. Like an artsy look... grin

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Sigillum Militum
Alien

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »

dude, lols, dont be so angry, it is just a definition ...

and the 1 is always a magic number, you can say that a transformation that has determinant bigger than 1 lets your formula explode, because it would scale the value by the amount, and you now, a scale of 2 is very quick growing if you repeat it ... 2*2*2*2*2... so, and when using ifs function you want your transforms to stay below 1, so that your formula is not so likely to explode, and the same rule counts in for negative values, hence the bi-unit square makes a lot sense here....

When I was plotting the Barnsley fern yesterday to get up to speed on IFSes, on the y-axis, it went as high as 10. But I did get a well-defined fern image at the end. So the points can exceed the bi-unit square without bouncing off into infinity.

Yes !! Yes !! Yes !!

It's absolutely necessary especially for nonlinear stuff, and for placing "fixed" elements correctly like noise and "shaped noise"

Final transform is "less necessary" but cool for an additional effect. Like an artsy look... grin

Cool, thanks. How about the other stuff?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:11:21 PM by Sigillum Militum » Logged
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

Be patient, we are not the truth keepers smiley

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Sigillum Militum
Alien

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »

Well ... have you written fractal flame code?
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »

To be honest I don't like that bi-unit square stuff either - all he means is that overall your transforms should *not* be divergent wink

As to the "final" transform it's included in the loop in that it's applied on every step and the result after it is applied is taken as the location to plot *but* the value passed on to the next iteration is the value prior to application of the final transform - also you can make this final "transform" as complicated as you like and it doesn't even need to obey the contraction/convergent rule.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: