Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 04:21:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Stereo Workaround?  (Read 1949 times)
Description: problem with zoom variance
bengvc
Alien

« on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »

I couple weeks ago I posted about a problem I encountered with a zoom variance between left and right eyes in the "Tuberland" formula. I wasn't surprised nobody replied, seeming Jesse is the only person who can address an issue like that. Jesse, if you're reading, not to burden you, but I'd love a comment, perhaps I've run into something not easily fixed. A button that provided separate control of left eye, such that a user could set all other parameters, then enter the left eye mode to modify whichever parameter seems to be out, in my case the zoom, that might be a workaround in lieu of a deeper level fix. Thanks, Jesse, for your thoughts.
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »

Link to the original post?

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »

http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-3d/stereo-issue-in-1-7-31-7-8/

Thanks for your time!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »

Guess i read until:
"So, Jesse, you indicated an adjustment to stereo in 1.7.8, which appears to have helped (at least, so it appears in this particular scene"

and was satisfied, because i don't really understand the issue you are still proposing?

The eye-distance is a variable function based on the zoom, that is relied on a more or less well estimated undirectional distance to the fractal, so a object behind you could also affect the eye-distance and the stereo outcome.

If there still is an issue you really have to explain it very clear and simple, or i will not understand.
Not that i am to lazy or not willing to understand, it just takes some time to go into every part of the program in detail for enhancements or whatever.
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:09:43 AM »

Okay, see below Tuberland01b(1.7.3).jpg, which shows a 50/50 overlay of left and right images, same frame in the timeine. I've marked up the edge of the inner sphere cross section of both eyes. See how one is slightly larger than the other. I think that's a zoom disparity between left and right, because it also applies to the larger sphere, as elsewhere in the scene. Now, in Tuberland02b(1.7.cool.jpg which is the same setup, same scene, same frame, same parameters, you see the zoom issue is less pronounced. You mentioned you made a tweak to the stereo cameras, which seems to have helped. The disparity is still there, bad enough that your eyes can't bring the two images together without badnesses. So does this make sense to you, the problem I'm describing, and can you take the original tweak further in whatever direction you were going, for it obviously helped quite a bit in this particular scene. Thanks, hope this is clear enough.

* Tuberland01b(1.7.3).jpg (80.94 KB, 1024x576 - viewed 282 times.)

* Tuberland02b(1.7.8).jpg (85.95 KB, 1024x576 - viewed 293 times.)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »

How should i tell anything without having parameters to look at?
Dunno if this a cut or the starting plane that cuts the object, what stereo parameters are used, is it an animation frame interpolated with bezier interpolation and the zoom is changed...
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »

The left and right frames are of frame 1 in an animation that dollies to the right, no zoom until after the second keyframe. I tested for zoom disparity in frame 2, see the dollying, no zoom, but same zoom disparity between left and right eyes. No cutting, now understand there's a starting plane to this formula. The parameters:

Mandelbulb3Dv17{
T.....c3...eA...61....A...UMzsxuHm.6.jHU1V0qaz/E53D/ivt3XzP7HqQUiZfezE0nylvpbYtj
........................................G.2........Y./..................y.2.....
................/M.1/....6UN0...J/....E......26WCMYMKKlD/.......FQQA0/......BnAn
z.....cD12..12.........wz.........yDOaNaNaNapz1............u1....ynAnA5EnAnQ.pAn
A/YaNadDddoslCBsjzHBQBihKzYhzOwHUUERITljMaO9c9iBOwf690auWPX4zW2bVezzzzyjgJV4AOxH
qyXB/iKgH1yvz.uihyRDallj......IM/.............kD.2....sD.2kz....................
.............ckpXm1...sD....zUJRV3.yp3K.MOLM/UnRV3.qr3K.sVLM/UFSV3......9....UA.
................mzzz.wzzz1.U..6.k....61...EB....41...c3...kD....2/...k11...UPF42
...U.ydelyjeYFnzTeOgzf8No...1c..zzzz..EizccZWGyD.EdGkxmWcz1...........k.8.kXWF1.
.sM93P58iz9.MmnWK2zwz0..........V2V0.6oKp/..0PJWp1Pyz.kYEkti4xvD..........E.Gc..
mcV0..kuvBTuCfuj.gySnbiney9..........2l28oTITs/.............3yuedc8tz0.Ra9hwxv.k
/6V0z5FAZ.............klrlkCx9yj.6wTJHz2Vz1...uBZ.U7Eg..PzFoTu2.oQm2.EuDnueM.YXB
b..JTt6Ul/k6Uk/.5t5crI0.a.l0..dTUSH7.M029.kuy/uBZ.U7Eg..cw5crI0.a.l0.MqTUSH7.M02
9.Uoz/uBZ.U7Eg.....crI0.zzFoTu2.yzngi84.xzZX.45.................................
E....A....E/....2....A....EEh3aSdtqNU6oPs/UQ..........................k/9.......
.....................1........xD..........2.....................................
................................................................................
.....................61...U/....1....MoPgFKOiR467t4RU.pPr/......................
8..0...........................E........i.A........../........zD................
................................................................................
................................/....E/.........TBJOiZ3.........................
........................................U.2.....................................
............................................}

Thanks, Jesse. An amazing ap.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

Cuts of objects based on the nearplane is not really supported with stereo!
The left-eye image is slightly rotated to go through the viewing screen midpoint as well, this is a compromise to use the standard rendering FOV calculation.
You could try to use the cutting option instead, this would be equal for both eyes.
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »

Wow, you surely know this mysterious world inside and in. You say there's some rotation on the left eye, not seeing that, why would the two "floors" look aligned in terms of rotation? So, I have no clue where in the parameters I set the near plane and how I would use cutting instead. Thanks for a tip.
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »

Perhaps, I've answered my own question, haven't had time to test it, but is Zstart the parameter that sets the near plane? Do I simply return that to 0 and copy its previous value to the Z parameter inside the Cutting tab? If so, what is the difference between the two parameters in terms of function?

On a side note, I'm so grateful you've provided support for both animation AND stereo in M3D. BulbBox, particularly, is so densely constructed, a 2D slice in time is far too complicated for the eye to process what all is going on inside the image. It's not until motion parallax comes into play, and all the more with stereo, that our brains can begin to Gestalt this complex geometry. Even then, I'm having to render out 125 keyframes in between modest zoom increments, which keeps my 8-core Mac Pro toasty warm for weeks on end, to not produce an animation that feels rushed, like a fly through aimed at navigating an obstacle course, rather than exploring and discovering.

Thanks for clarifying.

Benjy
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »

As i thought about this, i came to the conclusion that it is not that difficult to implement the FOV calculation correctly, so if you want i can send you a testversion to try out.  It would work with these cuts.
Just send a private mail with an email address where i should send it to.

To explain exactly whats all about nearplane and stuff would take to long for now i guess.  wink
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 06:03:21 AM »

Nice. Please, send to benjy.vc@gmail.com

I so appreciate it.

Benjy
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: