Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 12:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: (stereo) video  (Read 3797 times)
scheven_architect
Alien

« on: May 02, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »

Hello,

With what program should i combine my bmp files to a (stereo) video file?
How do i combine 2 files to make a 3d image?
Im using mac os x

in fact, how do i work with stero in mandelbulb at all smiley

greetings!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:26:07 PM by scheven_architect » Logged
scheven_architect
Alien

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »

Does anyone knows how to make a simple stereoscopic still image?

greetings!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

I think this depends on the 3d viewer you are using.
If you stitch them beside each other you could use the crosseye view for example.
Don Whitaker
Conqueror

KitchenDon
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:46:58 AM »

I use a free app called Stereo Photo Maker when I want to experiment with still 3D images. It does all sorts of fancy tricks and can combine images to many different formats. http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

When I try 3D video I use Sony Vegas Pro 10. That one is un-free, but a great editor. I'm sure there are free ways to assemble the vids. A lot of folks like VirtualDub. YouTube will even process stereo video if you upload in the proper format.

As far as the process for creating in M3D, I have only just barely begun experimenting. In general, I think the idea is to:

Set your camera how you like.
Render and save. This will be the right eye view.

Adjust the Stereo settings
I believe that these are meant to be measured in Meters i.e. Screen Distance would be the distance from your eyes to the screen. Minimal Distance has to do with how far something could stick OUT from the screen. I view my renders on a TV about 2 meters away, about 1 meter wide. As a starting point I would set them like Screen Distance: 2  Image Width:1  Minimal Distance:1.5  then experiment to find a pleasing 3D effect.  

Jesse discusses these settings in this thread, and also mentions that the 3D might change in v 1.7. http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-3d/v169-calc-left-eye/

Render and Save the Left Eye View
Then you can use software mentioned above to combine and view the images.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:56:33 AM by Don Whitaker » Logged

My digital creations: let me show you them
scheven_architect
Alien

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »

I use a free app called Stereo Photo Maker when I want to experiment with still 3D images. It does all sorts of fancy tricks and can combine images to many different formats. http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

When I try 3D video I use Sony Vegas Pro 10. That one is un-free, but a great editor. I'm sure there are free ways to assemble the vids. A lot of folks like VirtualDub. YouTube will even process stereo video if you upload in the proper format.

As far as the process for creating in M3D, I have only just barely begun experimenting. In general, I think the idea is to:

Set your camera how you like.
Render and save. This will be the right eye view.

Adjust the Stereo settings
I believe that these are meant to be measured in Meters i.e. Screen Distance would be the distance from your eyes to the screen. Minimal Distance has to do with how far something could stick OUT from the screen. I view my renders on a TV about 2 meters away, about 1 meter wide. As a starting point I would set them like Screen Distance: 2  Image Width:1  Minimal Distance:1.5  then experiment to find a pleasing 3D effect.  

Jesse discusses these settings in this thread, and also mentions that the 3D might change in v 1.7. http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-3d/v169-calc-left-eye/

Render and Save the Left Eye View
Then you can use software mentioned above to combine and view the images.

TY, what should i do when i want to use a beamer to see my 3d, use the size and distance settings i think the beamer will have?

greetings!
Don Whitaker
Conqueror

KitchenDon
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »

TY, what should i do when i want to use a beamer to see my 3d, use the size and distance settings i think the beamer will have?

A beamer? I guess that is a video projector?

That might work as a starting point, but I would def. try a few test images before committing to any big renders.  crazy eyes Or take one that looks good on your monitor and try it on the larger screen.

I've read that some people adjust their 3D renderings for huge vs. small screens, but don't really know any specifics. I think that the depth of the 3D effect might be exaggerated on a huge display. 

cytotox
Alien

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »

I would also like to generate stereo renders for the new class of 3D TV sets (using shutter glasses), but until I can call one of those my own, I am limited to cross-eyed views of M3D renders assembled side by side on my monitor (left image to right of the right image tongue stuck out) using IrfanView's panorama maker function (freeware).

I have some theoretical background of stereoscopic imaging, but it is definitely not complete. One thing you have to keep in mind when switching to larger screen sizes: every object that is supposed to appear some distance behind the screen (maximum distance is infinity) *must not* have a horizontal separation distance (when left & right images are projected / overlayed on the same screen, e.g. using shutter technique) that is larger than the distance between your eyes. So, when enlarging stereoscopic pictures for big displays, you have to control for that separation distance and adjust the horizontal separation accordingly, otherwise the 3D effect will fall apart ...
Don Whitaker
Conqueror

KitchenDon
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:35:18 AM »

every object that is supposed to appear some distance behind the screen (maximum distance is infinity) *must not* have a horizontal separation distance (when left & right images are projected / overlayed on the same screen, e.g. using shutter technique) that is larger than the distance between your eyes.

If the background separation were farther apart then your eyes would have to 'anti-cross', correct? your left eye would be trying to go left while your right goes right? I think this may be the problem with some of my stereo experiments, too much separation.

I would love to goof around with the new 3D tvs, just haven't been able to afford one yet. For now I generally go with Anaglyph (red/blue) or the cross-eye method.

I've also been tempted by the newest version of nVidia's stereo setup. A 3D capable monitor is much cheaper than a 3D TV.  I've got my eye on this Acer monitor that also works with 3D blu-ray players and the PS3.

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »

The distance of the non-shift of left and right images is the actual distance from the viewer to the screen, of course.
So it is important to set the right 'Screen distance' value in meters, for larger rooms with many people i would imho go with the largest distance, to avoid exactly the problem with "anti-crossed-eyed" at infinity.
'Image width' would be the realworld-width of the projected image of the beamer in meters.
'Minimal distance' is default 1/4 of the image distance, smaller ratios could cause troubles with small overlaps of right-left projections of very near objects. 
pilami
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »

i use After effect to combine right & left images :

- left image : keep Red channel
 - right channel : keep Green & Blue channel

and use these glasses :

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:57:25 PM by pilami » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: