Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 10:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: saving stereo settings  (Read 2003 times)
Description: how to save stereo
bengvc
Alien

« on: February 22, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

I'm unclear how to save stereo settings, it keeps resetting to the default of 2,1,.5, which is way aggressive parallax budget IMHO. It would appear the stereo parameters would save with the project file, but when I make the changes, save, quit, and reopen the project, the default stereo settings appear. I note the same behavior in v1.7.8. I'm wondering if this might relate to my running M3D on Wine/Mac. Thanks for clarification.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:33:06 AM by bengvc, Reason: tested in v1.7.8 » Logged
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »

What do you mean with "project"?
If it is an animation project, the settings are saved in the individual parameters of any keyframe, you can push the button to send the keyframe parameters to main (above the keyframe), then you should see those specific values.

If you want to start the program with certain values, you can store a "default.m3p" file in the programs directory to load it automatically on start.
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »

Thanks for clarification. Now that I'm past the simpler aspects of workflow, I desire a bit of payoff  A Beer Cup am rendering an animation for the next 11 days (so it appears). You've kindly reworked the stereo rig, if I'm correct - in response to my comments following my initial test on the stereo settings. I'm eager to repeat my test, and now that I've learned my way around a little, I can devise a better subject for the stereo testing, squaring the camera to the front face of Amazing Box, watching what happens in the far corners. I'll report back when I carve the time to do so, in the meanwhile, I humbly suggest changing the default stereo settings to a less aggressive 3D template. I've set my default, as you suggested, but others less familiar with stereo settings might benefit from a "safe" default setting. My definition of "safe"; since the camera is flying all about with subject matter constantly moving past frame edges, forward projected objects, while okay in the center of the screen, make for bad screen violations, or frustum clipping, so I set my Nearest Distance value equal to Screen Distance. A value slightly under the Screen Distance would allow for some forward projection, while lessening the edge violation. As for Screen Distance and Image Width, the default values of 2 and 1 result in such aggressive parralax, I have to work at placing my head just right looking at my Zalman in an effort to accomodate the entire image, the farthest point in the scene together with the nearest. I can do it, but it's a strain to do so, and others (less exposure to 3d, weaker eyes) had to work even longer or gave up, it hurting their eyes that much. Assuming no screen-related problems, i.e. crosstalk from angle of view exceeding the monitor's abilities, the double image seen is sign of the brain giving up trying to wrestle the two images into a unified stereoscopic whole. After much fiddling, I'm using 3.8 and 3.8 for Screen Distance and Image Distance, and yes, 3.8 for Minimum Distance. That's a comfortable 3D template.

I'm aware how religious many get about their magic 3D, I so hope not to come off like that. Just sharing, in the event you've spent less time on this aspect of your amazing work and value another's POV. Again, big thanks.
Rathinagiri
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »

Thanks a lot for finding this magic number 3.8 bengvc. smiley

I am very much interested to see your stereo fractals. (both images and videos)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »

I have never really tried that. What are the "magic" params just in case I want to play with it? grin

Screen distance = ?
Image width = ?
Min distance = ?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
bengvc
Alien

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:44:03 AM »

I'm using 3.8 for all three stereo parameters, Screen distance, Image width, and Nearest distance. By Hollywood standards, this is still fairly agressive stereo, but then most 3D in film is tame bordering on lame. As people's eyes grow stronger viewing 3D content, the scale will move, but presently, my approach is guided by a) not causing eye strain, and b) stopping short of making somebody chose what subject matter to accomodate, meaning avoiding an either/or option looking at the foreground (on the Z axis) or the background. If the stereo is overly aggressive, you'll have to chose one or the other (at a time), as taking in the entire scene, accommodating the whole volume at once, is too uncomfortable or outright impossible (which is when the brain gives up and a double image appears). Since with 3D audiences tend to explore available screen real estate, when you force this choice, it takes you out of the experience, as that uncomfortable moment of having to chose far or near reminds you of the reality of viewing 3D, chop to suspension of disbelief. Managing stereo, either to avoid badnesses or to exploit awesomeness, is a deep subject, perhaps too involved for this venue, so I offered the safe values to absolve my fellow bulbers from being burdened with too much information, if there is such a thing. When I can carve the time, I'll test the most recent update more methodically and possibly post some overlays of left and right eyes with settings per pair, point out what I see.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »

OK thanks!

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: