Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:18:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Call for Entries: 2010 Fractal Universe Calendar  (Read 11988 times)
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« on: March 17, 2008, 04:49:55 AM »

I'm posting this on behalf of Panny; please see the calendar site if you have questions.

Kerry

This is an open call for you to submit your fractal artwork for
consideration for inclusion in the Fractal Universe (R) Calendar 2010.

We have just now been notified by the publisher that the Fractal
Universe (R) Calendar is a go for 2010.

*Please note that the deadline for submissions this year is May 10, 2008*

We would like to stress again this year that this is a commercial
venture, and not a contest. The publisher will ultimately decide the
final 13 images that will be included in the calendar.

All the information you will need is detailed on the following

Please make your submissions and any additional enquires you may have
via the contact form on the above website.

This message has been posted to some of the fractal art mailing lists
and forums. If you think it may be of interest to others please feel
free to forward it, as it is written here, to other 'net sites where
fractal artists meet to share and discuss fractals.
Thanks and good luck!

Panny,  who wishes you would ALL send in those images smiley
cruelanimal
Forums Freshman

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:52:18 AM »

Some of us in the fractal community have reservations about the manner in which both the Fractal Universe Calendar and the Benoit Mandelbrot Fractal Art Contest are run. While blogging at Orbit Trap, we have written extensively to detail why the protocols of both competitions should be carefully examined in regard to professionalism, favoritism, ethical breaches, and conflicts of interest.

I understand this is a controversial topic in some quarters -- but it is one that profoundly affects all of us as artists and the genre of fractal art as a whole. As such, the manner in which these competitions are managed should be carefully scrutinized and openly discussed.

We have a right to speak out -- even if what we say upsets some of you and challenges the status quo. We did not come here to argue. We came here only to share information.

Please visit our blog, consider our arguments, and draw your own conclusions. Thank you.

Terry Wright
Tim Hodkinson

~/~

Orbit Trap
http://orbittrap.blogspot.com/

--A few posts on the Fractal Universe Calendar:

Facelift
http://orbittrap.blogspot.com/2008/03/facelift.html

The Price of Professionalism
http://orbittrap.blogspot.com/2007/11/price-of-professionalism.html

The Fractal Alternate Universe Calendar 2008
http://orbittrap.blogspot.com/2007/12/fractal-alternate-universe-calendar.html

There are many more posts about both competitions in the Orbit Trap archives.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:17:28 AM »

urgh, all you guys live for is to whine about art competitions you don't stand a chance of winning, that's all orbit trap has been about for at least a year now.

get over yourselves, you're not "whistleblowers" because no one cares about your smarmy smack talk. all you want is more negativity directed at your eternal nemesis, the "Fractal Establishment".

no doubt you'll want to see a big fat argument here (where else? everyone already knows better than to be censored post on your blog) and i've already taken the bait. i just hope you don't see this forum as your new platform for venom spitting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:24:34 AM by lycium » Logged

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »

Some of us in the fractal community have reservations about the manner in which both the Fractal Universe Calendar and the Benoit Mandelbrot Fractal Art Contest are run.

Well...  from what I have heard, and my exposure is limited, it seems to me that the calendar is a non-issue because it makes no claims at being a contest, or even at being impartial.  It's CLEARLY described as a commercial venture, and therefore bound to be lame and inferior.  Why waste your time?

The contest may be different, but that is something with which I am unfamiliar. 

I must hang out in that Other fractal community.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just that Venom Spitting is So Much Fun!  (And my Goal in All my Art is to have Fun!)

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »

ehrm, people, please calm down and state your opinions, nothing more and nothing less .... tongue stuck out

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »

ehrm, people, please calm down and state your opinions, nothing more and nothing less .... tongue stuck out

Ohh...

OK. evil

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:58:35 PM »

Some of us in the fractal community have reservations about the manner in which both the Fractal Universe Calendar and the Benoit Mandelbrot Fractal Art Contest are run. While blogging at Orbit Trap, we have written extensively to detail why the protocols of both competitions should be carefully examined in regard to professionalism, favoritism, ethical breaches, and conflicts of interest.

If you haven't been over to Orbit Trap, then you probably should have a look at what Tim and Terry say--they raise some excellent issues, particularly as the genre of fractal art struggles for recognition.

In my opinion, the Fractal Universe Calendar project *is* being run ethically and professionally.  It's clear that the venture is a commercial one, and while it is in some sense competitive, it is not, and was not designed to be, "fair."  How could it be?  It's a privately-backed project designed *solely* to make money for the publisher.  Avalanche probably doesn't care about fractal art beyond that which will sell their calendars, and that's ok.  They have identified a niche market and type of art that will appeal to that market, and off they go.  I don't submit much any more, but that's because we are different artistic paths, not because I think their process is unfair.

Regarding editor compensation, I don't see a problem here, either.  The editors/screeners deserve compensation for their efforts and if Avalanche decides to publish their work instead of cutting a check, that's their choice.  If/when fractal art grows to the level of practice and acceptance as photography or painting, then I might expect a more traditional setup, wherein a non-participating editor is given a check for their work, but we're not there yet.  And as long as they are upfront about their unorthodox ways, I don't see a problem.

While I disagree with their opinions, analyses, and approaches, I do applaud Tim and Terry for bring issues such as ethics and professionalism to the forefront of the discussion of fractal art.  Please, take the time to read the available information and postings and to come to your own conclusions.

Kerry
MattSchultz
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »

At the risk of rising a rightfully dead topic full of strife and argument, I would argue that we are approaching the problem incorrectly. Rather than focusing on solving the issues, we are instead focusing on debating them, and the semantics so involved, which usually produces no result, this case not being an exception.

Therefore, it is with this excessively wordy thought in mind that I suggest we all pause and go read Seth Godin for a moment. Seth Godin is not a fractal artist. Seth Godin, is in point of fact, not even an artist. He is a marketing guy (an absolutely brilliant one). It is his approach to solving problems, however, as well as his acute analysis of the world we live in, however, that are of interest.

I start by examining the problem at hand, and conclude that yes, Terry and Tim have a valid point, in that the public exposure to fractals is limited. I would argue that their point regarding the ethical practices of the two contests is invalid, especially in the case of Fractal Universe, but the point would be moot, and I will refrain from making and supporting it, in the hopes that further discussion of it can be avoided. Ethics being a subjective issue, this argument can never be solved, as both sides have a legitimate case, and their is no absolutely correct answer).

The more important point here is not the ethics of various fractal art competitions, but rather the exposure to the public. In fact it remains, that, while preponderance of the evidence does not constitute proof, it also may represent the best available actionable information in an issue. While I have no numbers to post (and any who do would greatly aid this discussion by doing so - I get paid to write software and so I have neither the time nor necessarily the knowledge to find said numbers and present them in an intelligent way), I can state that, like others, I have never seen any fractal art in the " public eye " other than the fractal universe calendars I have seen in Barnes and Noble. And while I have never personally bought a Fractal Universe calendar (for no other reason than because if I want to view fractal art, I prefer to do so on DA and Renderosity, where I can post comments and increment the ego/confidence/happiness building view count for the artist's pleasure), I do have the 2008 calender at my desk because my friend, whose only exposure to fractals has been my gallery, bought it for me as a gift, and I don't believe all of this amounts to some crazy coincidence. Fractal Universe clearly has public attention and appeal. The other competition is debatable, but, having not been involved in making fractals since I was really young (I'm now 20, still probably the youngest guy here, but I haven't made fractals seriously since I was about 15), I will take your word and assume it has its fair share of publicity.

Yet I will significantly disagree with OT on another point. The reason (at least the stated reason, which for the purpose of this post I will assume to be correct) for the choice of fractals at Fractal Universe is that they are deemed to be the fractals most likely to draw buyers to the calendar. And I will admit, brightly colored pretty looking spirals do tend to stand out well, even though what I'm really looking for is the Sports Illustrated swimsuit calendar drinking beer together.

Given this, we likely should agree that the problem isn't necessarily with the nature of Fractal Universe (which as they say is NOT a competition), but rather with the selection of publicly available material. I find it sad that while there are loads of books on abstract art, I have never once seen a book on fractals. I have seen lots of modern works, from odd paintings to people making canvases out of skateboards to a room covered in bubble wrap featuring a bubble wrap igloo inside (which was actually kind of cool...I really had to restrain myself from poping them.... evil). But no fractal art.

I will not comment on the reasoning behind this, I'll let others do that, and I will not present a solution. But I will argue against a statement by the OT crew. If an individual is not happy with his neurosurgeon, he cannot operate on his own brain - true. But if the community is unhappy with the efforts and achievements of neurosurgery in general, and wants to achieve more, it works together to plan, develop, and implement a better solution. My point here being that while we can sit here and argue about Fractal Universe all day, their motives, rights to expression, and end products are their own, and if we want to change the publicly available collection of fractal work, we would be grossly better served by doing so in an additive fashion, as not only would this be simpler, but the end result would be MORE fractals available to the consumer, MORE exposure to our art, and MORE opportunities for all artists, of all styles to gain publicity.

I am not suggesting that one artist be responsible for creating the solution, nor do I think the solution is singular in nature. I believe, and have long believed, even when I was making art before, that we should, as a community, work towards gaining more presence in the mainstream. A small amount of work by every artist, given freely, could result in massive benefits for all. Look at Wikipedia - tiny contributions by millions of users results in a massively useful (even if ultimately not completely reliable) tool for all.

I suggest we continue to discuss what we, as a community can do to further this goal. Given focus and some intelligent input from many members, I think we can really make some cool things happen. I am mirroring this post over at the Fractal Forum (the origional was over at DeviantArt, found here: http://news.deviantart.com/article/44605/?offset=25#comments), which I found along with this discussion while searching for 'fractal communities'. Thanks for reading this post (for those few of you who have not fallen asleep yet)!

//Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: