Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 03:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: code box to small  (Read 3434 times)
FractalStefan
Explorer

« on: May 17, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »

Is it possible to change the forum configuration to enlarge and left-align the textarea box for code? Especially the width is much to small. It's not possible to see the code without scrolling horizontally.

Example:
Code:
			function ShowLog(sortBy)
{
if(sortBy != -1)
{
g_logSortOrder = (sortBy !== g_logSortBy) ? 0 : g_logSortOrder ? 0 : 1;
g_logSortBy = sortBy;
}

var l = g_logArray.length;
if(l > 0) g_logArray.sort(CompareLogEntries);
$('nLog').innerHTML = l;
var options = '';
for (var i = 0; i < l; i++)
{
var n = g_logArray[i][0], x = g_logArray[i][1], y = g_logArray[i][2], it = g_logArray[i][3];
options += '<option id="' + n + '">C' + (n + 1) + '=' + ReImToString(x, y) + ' (' + it + ')</option>';
g_logIndex[n] = i;   // Suchindex für das Protokoll-Array füllen
}

if(!options) options = '<option id="-1">(no entries)</option>';

var cLog = $('cLog');
cLog.innerHTML = options;

cLog.scrollTop = 0;
DrawLog();
}

Optimal would be a width of 100% ...
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »

Is it possible to change the forum configuration to enlarge and left-align the textarea box for code? Especially the width is much to small. It's not possible to see the code without scrolling horizontally...

I know it was adjusted for a different problem before, but at this point we are done trying to fix issues on this iteration of Fractal Forums.

Shortly after this years contest we will be locking down this site and opening our Brand New Forum!

It will resolve many of our problems with this out-dated forum's configuration.

I will check this in our new forum currently under construction, but for now - just hold on and we'll have a vastly improved forum in the near future.

Thanks for pointing this out and we'll look into the state of the code tag in the new version.  If it's the same we'll see what can be done  (it may be part of the base code of the forum and not easy to adjust).

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
FractalStefan
Explorer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:34:52 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Will the old threads be migrated to the new forum? (I hope so...  smiley)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:31:22 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Will the old threads be migrated to the new forum? (I hope so...  smiley)

No.

We will not lose anything though!  The new forums will have a different url and this site will become a read only archive.

There will be a fresh start - the only drawback is everyone will need to register a new account.  But that is a small price to pay for current forum software  (too much custom stuff on this site would break if we upgrade it now, so a brand new start was deemed the best course of action).

We'll be announcing a Public Beta test of it soon.  We're only in Pre-Alpha / Alpha testing now  (whatever that means   roll eyes ).

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »

@Sockratease
New Forum Code Highlighting huh? !!!
FractalStefan
Explorer

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:37:17 PM »

@Sockratease

For which programming languages?
FractalStefan
Explorer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:43:18 PM »

No.

We will not lose anything though!  The new forums will have a different url and this site will become a read only archive.

There will be a fresh start - the only drawback is everyone will need to register a new account. [...]

Well, then let's hope that this won't choke off the forum... undecided
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »

@Sockratease

As said, we've edited it before, specifically something with the code box  (I think it was sizing itself wrong when long coordinates were entered) but it was messy and caused other problems.

It's not a question of *if* we can do it, it's a question of if we should do it and risk breaking stuff again.

The code box is not really meant to show content for reading - it is supposed to run off screen and what is inside it is meant to just be copied and pasted into something else.

The request is sound, but it goes against the whole reason for using the code tag in the first place  (like people complaining the attachment size limit is too small for images when images belong in the gallery or an external image host).

Well, then let's hope that this won't choke off the forum... :-

Choke it off in what way?

It will do just the opposite!

We'll have breathing room and we'll lose all those inactive accounts that built up over the last decade plus of this forum's life.

But we are interested in everyone's insights - so ...  in what way could making a new site and keeping this one intact, but closed to new posts, choke it off?  Any discussions can be continued in the new site.  This will all be here and remain searchable.  The only drawback is the inability to carry on a discussion in the same exact place - but they can be carried on in a forum more suited to the modern web.

What are we missing?

FractalStefan
Explorer

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:16 AM »

Choke it off in what way?

I thought that if every user has to register again in the new forum, some (or many?) users won't do so. But I don't know...

And as you wrote - it won't be possible to reply to an archived (readonly) thread. I'm not sure if I or other users would create a thread in the new forum only to reply to an archived thread.

But I'm hopefully wrong... smiley
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »

I thought that if every user has to register again in the new forum, some (or many?) users won't do so. But I don't know...

And as you wrote - it won't be possible to reply to an archived (readonly) thread. I'm not sure if I or other users would create a thread in the new forum only to reply to an archived thread.

But I'm hopefully wrong... smiley

It will take time for all active members to migrate over, but it will happen.

We hope!

We thought about a lot of options, and concluded that with all the problems plaguing this forum a fresh start would be the best course of action.

It may be possible to migrate the member database to avoid having to register, but there are drawbacks to that route as well.

Nothing is completely finalized and we'll be actively soliciting feedback once the public beta testing starts - hopefully very soon!

There are drawbacks to any route we take, but since we can't upgrade this iteration of the site to a forum more compatible with the new version of php that the server uses  (without breaking too many of the custom features we rely upon) we need a new site or the errors will continue to pile up and cripple the site.  Our error log has to be purged every couple days now!  It logged almost a million errors in a single week recently.  If there is a better way to work around the situation, we'd be happy to know!

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »

fractalstefan, we have thought this through quite well and considered the pro/cons for all this long.

the forum has a list of 6000members. but we checked and only about 60-100 have been active in the last 2 months and have more than 20 posts. all these are familiar names and will definitely come to the new iteration of fractalforums. the rest is inactive, some for many years, and the majority has never even posted once.
we see this as a good opportunity to get rid of all those dead accounts.

taking all the messed up database with us is not really an option. theres something like 80 plugins/mods installed many long outdated, some not working with v2 of SMF. and some already broken here, but with 80 different plugins there simply is no way to find out which one or which combination is causing the issues. its a giant house of cards, ready to collapse. why rebuild the same house?

so we decided to go the route with a fresh start.

to be honest, if someone isn't willing to take the 60 seconds it takes to re-register to keep participating in the community, I think he isn't really interested in the community after all.
and if it is too much work to simply start a new thread with a link to the archive-thread if someone is in need of information maybe the problem is not so urgent after all.

We were faced with a sinking ship and with limited time - better to build a new ship than to fix something that is beyond fixing.

also: we're always thankful for good input or even active help - if you are interested in joining the team, let us know. programmers are always especially welcome!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:11:04 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: