Logo by mjk1093 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 03:14:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Buddhabrot Mag(nifier) - A realtime buddhabrot zoomer  (Read 19893 times)
Description: An OpenCL accelerated interactive realtime buddhabrot zoomer
Sharkigator
Alien

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »

Another small Update: 0.5.2

- Fixed various compilation bugs and wrong implementation of some functions.
- Implemented Periodicity Checking (speedup)
Spain2points
Navigator

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

thanks a lot, this looks like fun
Sharkigator
Alien

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »

New version: 0.6
See the first post for download link.

New features:
  • New acceleration methods: Priority Mapping and Low Contribution Termination
  • Option to set the preview to a fixed resolution.
    This also disables zooming / scrolling.

and several tiny changes and bugfixes.

If you find any bugs, please tell me.
Thank you!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »

cool - great to see you still working on it! smiley
question: the fixed resolution thing, is there a way export the full size (preview) image?
example: I have a screen resolution of 1920*1080 but set the fixed resolution to 3840*2160 and start rendering.
I hit pause when the image looks like I hoped.
Now I see ithe image in my current monitorscreen resolution of 1920*1080 but if I understand it correctly the actual image has a resolution of 3840*2160. And I want THAT 4k image - how do I get it?

and the obligatory "I never get enough" feature request: save/load locations&settings to revisit and share them.

also: this would be a cool feature http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=25668.msg101254#msg101254

too bad I have to get back to work and have only little time to test in the next days..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:11:19 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Sharkigator
Alien

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 03:34:07 PM »

question: the fixed resolution thing, is there a way export the full size (preview) image?
example: I have a screen resolution of 1920*1080 but set the fixed resolution to 3840*2160 and start rendering.
I hit pause when the image looks like I hoped.
Now I see the image in my current monitor screen resolution of 1920*1080 but if I understand it correctly the actual image has a resolution of 3840*2160. And I want THAT 4k image - how do I get it?
There's a "Save Current Preview" button on the "Actions" tab.
Sorry, I guess the UI could be better.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »

awesome! thanks a lot for implementing that, this makes it so much useful for my workflow! smiley

never mind! its 0.x and work in progress, constantly improving.
If you need specific input on anything just ask, I'm happy to help out.

I suggest merging the clear/pause/apply area with the static preview section.
Making it
Preview-Settings:
Top Row: Start/Pause, Apply Settings and Clear
2nd Row: Checkbox "Fixed Resolution" + optional "keep aspect ratio"-checkbox
3rd Row: Height and Width
4th Row: Zoom in/out and Save Preview Buttons

Sharkigator
Alien

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

Another tiny update (0.6.1), fixed some newly introduced artifacts...
See first post for download.

Also a reply:
I suggest merging the clear/pause/apply area with the static preview section.
Making it
Preview-Settings:
Top Row: Start/Pause, Apply Settings and Clear
2nd Row: Checkbox "Fixed Resolution" + optional "keep aspect ratio"-checkbox
3rd Row: Height and Width
4th Row: Zoom in/out and Save Preview Buttons
Well, I tried to keep that top part as small as possible, because it takes away space from the tabs.
Especially on a small screen (i. e. my laptop), for example the color tab already almost fills up the whole screen height, and having using space above the tabs would make this even worse.
There are a few things I could do, like having options in separate "pop-up" windows, but I hate things like that and I tried to keep it as non-modal as possible.

Also, I could make all the grayed-out options invisible instead.
But that hides functionality, so a new user would probably overlook the "invisible" options.
And options disappearing if you click something makes it confusing.

What I'd like best would be little animated collapsible containers, but Windows Forms does not offer that out-of-the-box. D:
So for now I'll probably keep it the way it is...
Gerson
Forums Freshman

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »

What files I need to install (OpenCL) and where I can get download it to run the program?

About:
System Requirements:
    OpenCL >= 1.2
    OpenCL Extension cl_khr_gl_sharing must be supported.
    OpenCL image support

PieMan597
Conqueror

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 11:45:09 PM »

OpenCL comes with your graphics card drivers, or alternatively your integrated graphics drivers. If you have those, the program should work fine.

There is a download link in the first post in this thread.
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 11:51:19 AM »

Hadn't tested it. It wount work with my built in graphic card.
I think orbit plot would be good name to cover all the categories of simmilar fractals.

Maybe this could be usefull. I wanted to implement buddhabrot, then were disapointed by the speed and went of from it until made something different. It was made as one day to be implemented in software.
(brahmabrot - no distinction for escapeing/not orbits, instead revealing more by formula loop of: while ( (|z| < 16) && (|zold-z| >0.000001 ) && (iter < @maxIter) ) ; and my own colouring technique.)

http://www.fractalforums.com/fractal-programs/problems-with-implementing-budhabrot-in-uf/

The whole code is here:
http://www.chaospro.de/formulas/display.php?fileid=238

I think it could have largest colection of formulas which are good for orbit plot. Quad gen and logic turtle is nice, but many are found of starbrot becouse it looks as star.

Recently I did some render of that with lots of dots. Not shure how usefull for this, but it shows some possibilities of colour method and probably the best pictures of it:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=25746.0

Mockery of julia set. It is slower but it generates some interesting orbit plot fractals when julia sets do nothing:
http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbrot-and-julia-set/buddhabrot-quasijulia-set/

For this I did some improved random numbers. Halton sequences alone actualy were worst than random number but that probably depends on how fractal is calculated. In zooms I started to notice that random numbers start to generate pattern by themselves. This could be of some use:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=17259.0

The most artistic was this. I forgot the formula but it was quasi julia set

fractal catalisator
Sharkigator
Alien

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »

Update: 0.7

Download link in the first post.

Big new feature: Saving and reloading the current settings and position.
Some presets were also added as well as some new formulas.
And some bugfixes.

If you find nice settings / new formulas, please tell me and I will include them in the next update.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »

thx again for that update!
I would love to see you start this thread in the new iteration of the forum too!
https://fractalforums.org/image-threads/25/buddhaset-explorations/151/

parameter saving is awesome!

coloring seems to have strange issues.
if I set orbit length to a narrow range, for example 950min and 1000 max in the mandelbrot formula, the result is just one color. could it be that the percentage range is set to always start at 0?
so if red goes from 0-20% it goes from 0-200 orbit length green from 20-80% so 200-800 orbit length, thus 950-100 will always just be single colored..

I just wanted to ask you if the following is a reasonable idea.
how about coloring orbits depending from where in the mandelbrot-set the starting coordinate originated.. for example top left is green, top right is red.

and what would be great: if instead of using rgb, we could pick ANY color for the R G or B channel from a palette and then use those %-Ranges for these colours. even better if we could have gradients. and maybe add as many channels as we want? would start to make sense then..

if not gradients, would it be hard to give the 3 channels min and mac values sliders? this would make handling much easier.

still loving the tool, best for buddha-method out there. keep it up! smiley

Sharkigator
Alien

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »

thx again for that update!
I would love to see you start this thread in the new iteration of the forum too!
I will, once I release the next update.

coloring seems to have strange issues.
if I set orbit length to a narrow range, for example 950min and 1000 max in the mandelbrot formula, the result is just one color. could it be that the percentage range is set to always start at 0?
so if red goes from 0-20% it goes from 0-200 orbit length green from 20-80% so 200-800 orbit length, thus 950-100 will always just be single colored..
It works the way I intended it to.
If RGB ranges are used, each point in one orbit will be colored according to its current iteration. (So the first pixels in one orbit can have a different color than the later ones.)
So even if you set your orbit length from 950 to 1000, you can have different colors in it.
However, if the checkbox "Soft Minimum Orbit Length" is checked, the points of an orbit up to the "Minimum Orbit Length" are not drawn (so only 50 pixels will be drawn per orbit in this case), which in your case will result in it being single colored.
In general, it's a good idea uncheck that checkbox if both the Minimum and Maximum Orbit Length are set to a high value.

I just wanted to ask you if the following is a reasonable idea.
how about coloring orbits depending from where in the mandelbrot-set the starting coordinate originated.. for example top left is green, top right is red.
I will try that.

and what would be great: if instead of using rgb, we could pick ANY color for the R G or B channel from a palette and then use those %-Ranges for these colours. even better if we could have gradients. and maybe add as many channels as we want? would start to make sense then..

if not gradients, would it be hard to give the 3 channels min and mac values sliders? this would make handling much easier.
Well, the current palette option does pretty much that (it sets a color for every orbit length), but you have to create the palette in a separate program.
It does not make a difference in the result that you get out of it. (It is more or less just a different user interface.)

However, what *could* be done is choosing the colors for each channel (instead of RGB) in realtime, without having to re-render.
Adding more channels would be a lot of work.
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »

mm, tested natively on linux, as I couldn't find a clinfo.exe to download in 2mins of searching, but seems there is some weirdness here - the platform says 1.2 but the device only 1.1:
Code:
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 8.0.0
  Device Version                                  OpenCL 1.1 CUDA

My card is quite old by now though, GeForce GTX 550 Ti.  So I'll give up for now...

I got the latest version to run in WINE on Debian.  I had to make some symlinks.  But my card still doesn't support OpenCL 1.2 it seems sad
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12605618/when-will-opencl-1-2-for-nvidia-hardware-be-available/29607373#29607373 says Fermi cards won't get OpenCL 1.2, so I guess I'm out of luck...

Code:
$ ls -l lib*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 claude claude 43 Sep 29 10:20 libgdiplus.so.0 -> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/gdiplus.dll.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 claude claude 56 Sep 29 10:21 libopencl.dll -> /home/claude/.wine64/drive_c/windows/syswow64/opencl.dll
lrwxrwxrwx 1 claude claude 42 Sep 29 10:21 libopencl.dll.so -> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/opencl.dll.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 claude claude 58 Sep 29 10:21 libopengl32.dll -> /home/claude/.wine64/drive_c/windows/syswow64/opengl32.dll
lrwxrwxrwx 1 claude claude 44 Sep 29 10:22 libopengl32.dll.so -> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/opengl32.dll.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 claude claude 56 Sep 29 10:22 libuser32.dll -> /home/claude/.wine64/drive_c/windows/syswow64/user32.dll
lrwxrwxrwx 1 claude claude 42 Sep 29 10:22 libuser32.dll.so -> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/user32.dll.so
$ wine ./BuddhabrotMag.exe   # ./BuddhabrotMag.exe on its own seems to try wine64 which fails miserably

Any chance of a version of BuddhabrotMag that works with OpenCL 1.1?  Quite a lot changed in the version bump...
https://streamhpc.com/blog/2011-11-19/difference-between-opencl-1-2-and-1-1/

* bbmag.png (18.35 KB, 748x540 - viewed 379 times.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:01:57 PM by claude, Reason: 1.2 1.1 bump link » Logged
Sharkigator
Alien

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »

Any chance of a version of BuddhabrotMag that works with OpenCL 1.1?  Quite a lot changed in the version bump...
https://streamhpc.com/blog/2011-11-19/difference-between-opencl-1-2-and-1-1/

First of all, I don't know if it would work, even if your card supported OpenCL 1.2.
I really didn't code it with Linux in mind.

Also I need some features from 1.2, e.g. clCompileProgram.

Also, your device seems to be missing the extension "cl_khr_gl_sharing", which is also required for running BuddhabrotMag (in order to draw to screen).

Sorry, but I can't help you with this. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: