Logo by chaos_crystal - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:01:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Simon Snake's 86f formula plugin available  (Read 5380 times)
Description: See discussion in "is there anything novel left to do.." thread
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

http://www.fractalforums.com/new-theories-and-research/is-there-anything-novel-left-to-do-in-m-like-escape-time-fractals-in-2d/msg57801/#new

Plugin for Simon's Formula is available here...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/simon86f/files/

A quick demo

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfkfkebcjEs&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BfkfkebcjEs&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »

All I can say is wow, breathtaking.

Many thanks.

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:32:58 AM »

Nice vid

I downloaded the formula. I find it very interesting that from a distance it looks like a power 6 mandelbrot set, while zoomed it it looks like a power 4 mandelbrot set.

It gives only black pixels when an iteration count over 16200 is used for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:38:06 AM by Dinkydau » Logged

panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »

I've updated the files on Sourceforge.
I had some logic for smooth shading that was still active for the non-smoothed formulae.
It was probably causing the 'feature' Dinkydau discovered with things going black once the iterations got to 16200 (probably 16384?).
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »

Thanks Panzer.

I'm not sure but is there something slightly off with the smooth shading?  There seems to be a slight banding on the colours.

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »

Oh yeah, big time. embarrass
I haven't been able to get the smooth shading matched well.
There are the occasional iterations with random fuzz through them, don't know what causes that.
Previous formulae have had that effect solved by preserving more integer bits in the calculations.
That is trading off decimal precision to allow for larger numbers.
That makes things better but doesn't solve the problem.
Then there's the mapping, the Smooth shading algorithm I'm using is for mandelbrot which squares the z.
That does a log(log(sqrt(zisqr+zrsqr)))-log(log(OverFlowPoint*OverFlowPoint))
For all the extra arithmetic of your formula that might now need to be somthing like...
log(log(sqrt(log(log(sqrt(log(log(sqrt(zisqr+zrsqr)))))))-log(logt(log(log(OverFlowPoint*OverFlowPoint))*log(log(OverFlowPoint*OverFlowPoint))))*log(logt(log(log(OverFlowPoint*OverFlowPoint))*log(log(OverFlowPoint*OverFlowPoint))))
perhaps?
I have some experimenting to do.
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »

Well, that's complicated!

Certainly not for the faint hearted.

All those logs would slow it down quite a bit further.

I didn't realise you had to do a whole bunch of additional maths to implement it.

Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 03:49:04 AM »

I've updated the files on Sourceforge.
I had some logic for smooth shading that was still active for the non-smoothed formulae.
It was probably causing the 'feature' Dinkydau discovered with things going black once the iterations got to 16200 (probably 16384?).
Yes I had noticed it in the meantime. Increasing iterations A LOT makes stuff visible again. The blackness really started from 16200 on instead of 16384.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: