Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:56:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Bipolar coordinates look promising  (Read 704 times)
Hiato
Forums Freshman

« on: January 18, 2013, 01:45:24 AM »

Heya folks, I've been AFK for a while and have returned to do some investigating into alternate coordinate systems (specifically ones whose 3D extensions seem to have interesting properties). To this end, I stopped off at bipolar coordinates (I tried biangular and it was rather spaghetti-like, bi-radial was just cream, and a combination of the two wans't much to look at either). Details at then end, but I found that doing

p -> fromBiPole(toBiPole(p)*factor) + c

Gives amazing ... Julia sets! That's right, the Mandelbrot set of this looks as plain as could be (especially if you don't use inside colouring), but switch into Julia mode and explore within a radius of ~2 of the origin and you will not be disappointed. In fact, there are even nestings of partial Mandelbrots! The J-Sets sets are far more "fractal" than the M-set in every way (feel free to think of this factor as the power of the ... hmm, this thing needs a name - the T-set?).

Ok, so now for some "pics or it didn't happen" (these guys were generated using a=2 and factor=2, see below):

http://imgur.com/a/RLRyE#0

It would seem to me that this is a truly versatile fractal, somewhat unlike the others I have seen around here. It can look like ducks/kali set and M-Set at the same time, or just the one, or the other. Multifractal?

Anyway, now for some details.

I transform to bipolar coordinates the usual (and clever way):
d1^2 = (p.x+a)^2+p.y^2
d2^2 = (p.x-a)^2+p.y^2

tau = log(d1/d2)
sigma = arccos((d1^2+d2^2-4a^2)/(2*d1*d2))

Then simply multiply tau and sigma by some constant factor (the same one for both)
tau*=factor, sigma*=factor

Transform back
x=a*sinh(tau)/(cosh(tau)-cos(sigma)
y=a*sin(sigma)/(cosh(tau)-cos(sigma)

Unfortunately, it's here that we run into a wee bit of trouble. If you actually solve the system, you will find that there are two equally valid solutions for the value of y (+-) and so we are forced to pick one. To solve this issue, I simply chose the above solution and silently send all y values to abs(y) (that is, p->(p.x,abs(p.y)) and c->(c.x,abs(c.y)) wherever they appear). Given that the solutions are actually perfectly symmetrical anyway, we lose no information doing things this way. So there you have it, coordinate transform, scalar factor, transform back, add point.

A sample implementation is given in here (again, using Fragmentarium). More exciting than all of this though, is the prospect of extending this to 3D cheesy Given the fact that we can simply rotate bipolar to arrive at bispherical, a similar result should be possible - who knows what interesting properties it may have (embedded 3D mandel-like structures in the J-set? wink )

Anyway, enjoy it

PS: I'll get round to replying to the Mandelex stuff tomorrow, I just got carried away here tongue stuck out

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:18:29 PM by Hiato » Logged
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »

This should be a cross-section through the torodial coordinate system, right?
(Rotating the coordinates in a different way gives toroidal rather than bispherical)
That already has been tried before, so there should be crosssections that give similar results.
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »

Heya folks, I've been AFK for a while and have returned to do some investigating into alternate coordinate systems (specifically ones whose 3D extensions seem to have interesting properties). To this end, I stopped off at bipolar coordinates (I tried biangular and it was rather spaghetti-like, bi-radial was just cream, and a combination of the two wans't much to look at either). Details at then end, but I found that doing

p -> fromBiPole(toBiPole(p)*factor) + c

Gives amazing ... Julia sets! That's right, the Mandelbrot set of this looks as plain as could be (especially if you don't use inside colouring), but switch into Julia mode and explore within a radius of ~2 of the origin and you will not be disappointed. In fact, there are even nestings of partial Mandelbrots! The J-Sets sets are far more "fractal" than the M-set in every way (feel free to think of this factor as the power of the ... hmm, this thing needs a name - the T-set?).

Ok, so now for some "pics or it didn't happen" (these guys were generated using a=2 and factor=2, see below):

http://imgur.com/a/RLRyE#0

It would seem to me that this is a truly versatile fractal, somewhat unlike the others I have seen around here. It can look like ducks/kali set and M-Set at the same time, or just the one, or the other. Multifractal?

Anyway, now for some details.

I transform to bipolar coordinates the usual (and clever way):
d1^2 = (p.x+a)^2+p.y^2
d2^2 = (p.x-a)^2+p.y^2

tau = log(d1/d2)
sigma = arccos((d1^2+d2^2-4a^2)/(2*d1*d2))

Then simply multiply tau and sigma by some constant factor (the same one for both)
tau*=factor, sigma*=factor

Transform back
x=a*sinh(tau)/(cosh(tau)-cos(sigma)
y=a*sin(sigma)/(cosh(tau)-cos(sigma)

Unfortunately, it's here that we run into a wee bit of trouble. If you actually solve the system, you will find that there are two equally valid solutions for the value of y (+-) and so we are forced to pick one. To solve this issue, I simply chose the above solution and silently send all y values to abs(y) (that is, p->(p.x,abs(p.y)) and c->(c.x,abs(c.y)) wherever they appear). Given that the solutions are actually perfectly symmetrical anyway, we lose no information doing things this way. So there you have it, coordinate transform, scalar factor, transform back, add point.

A sample implementation is given in here (again, using Fragmentarium). More exciting than all of this though, is the prospect of extending this to 3D cheesy Given the fact that we can simply rotate bipolar to arrive at bispherical, a similar result should be possible - who knows what interesting properties it may have (embedded 3D mandel-like structures in the J-set? wink )

Anyway, enjoy it

PS: I'll get round to replying to the Mandelex stuff tomorrow, I just got carried away here tongue stuck out

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »

Cool idea! Azn

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »

My first try with this for 3D fractals would be a 4D system where all values are simply converted to complex, since that's incredibly simple to try....

Also in the 2D with respect to the sign of y, isn't it possible to get the "correct" sign by taking into account source quadrants ?

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: