Logo by haltenny - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 07:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Toroidal Coordinates  (Read 8710 times)
BradC
Safarist

« on: December 03, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »

Summary: I didn't find any holy grails.

Details: A few people have mentioned trying toroidal coordinates, so I did some experiments and here's what I got. The coordinate systems used in the images below are obtained by rotating polar coordinates about the z-axis. (The usual mathematical toroidal coordinate system is obtained by rotating *bipolar* coordinates about the z-axis, but I haven't tried that.) The coordinates I used are (r, theta, phi), where r is the distance from the center of the tube, theta is the angle measured (from a reference angle gamma) around the tube, and phi is the angle measured along the tube. I used 3 parameters (alpha, beta, gamma) to parametrize the coordinate system. Alpha is the distance from the origin to the center of the tube, beta is the radius of the tube at which "squaring" r leaves points unchanged, and gamma specifies the reference origin used when doubling theta. Squaring a point consists of doubling theta and phi, and squaring and scaling r such that points beta units from the center of the tube stay at distance beta. Points inside the tube move farther inside, and points outside move farther outside. Here's a picture:

I experimented with parameters ranging from the degenerate case of a sphere (alpha = 0, beta = 1), a spindle torus (alpha = 1/4, beta = 3/4), a horn torus (alpha = 1/2, beta = 1/2), and a ring torus (alpha = 3/4, beta = 1/4). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus for a description of these types of tori. In the degenerate case of a sphere, these coordinates are equivalent to spherical coordinates, and we get the regular Mandelbulb fractal. As beta decreases (and our torus gets "thinner"), the fractal tends to thin out and get wispier, but I don't think I see anything new and exciting happening.

Here are degree 2 examples:

Here are degree 7 examples:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:24:39 AM by BradC » Logged
fractalrebel
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »

Hi Brad,

I think this is still and interesting variant.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »

Actually, this is quite nice smiley
fractalrebel
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »

Hi Brad,

I think this is still and interesting variant.

Brad,

Your equations don't have beta as a parameter.

BradC
Safarist

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 02:14:25 AM »

I only wrote the equations for transforming (x, y, z) <-> (r, theta, phi) above. I left out the "Mandelbrot" part of the formula... In between the two equations above should go this step, which raises to the nth power:

r := r^n / beta^(n-1)
theta := n * theta
phi := n * phi

And then as the very last step, add the Mandelbrot constant:

x := x + a
y := y + b
z := z + c
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 02:50:10 AM »

@BradC - What happens with negative alpha ?

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:35:03 AM »

Great idea! I like these a little better than the ones up above:

A zoom into the last one looks like this:

twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »

Hi Brad,

Wow, nice attempts. I'm surprised it looks so similar to the spherical Mandelbulb version.
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »

The others should be zoomed, too!
msltoe
Iterator

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

Using a circle of radius, r1, as the origin, the torus bulb is a little less like a Mandelbulb.

theta = atan2(y,x);
   x1 = r1*cos(theta);
   y1 = r1*sin(theta);
   r = (x-x1)*(x-x1)+(y-y1)*(y-y1)+z*z;
   phi = asin(z/sqrt(r));
   phi = 8*phi;
   theta = 8*theta;
   r = r*r*r*r;
   x1 = (r1+r*cos(phi))*cos(theta);
   y1 = (r1+r*cos(phi))*sin(theta);
   z1 = -r*sin(phi)

twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:33:24 AM »

I also recently tried using a system based on the magnetic field which looks very much like a toroid actually (given a strong small single magnetic point AFAIK), but with the inner part of the ring's surface meeting at the 0,0,0 origin. Unfortunately, results were not far away from a whipped up flying saucer!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: