Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 03:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fragmentarium 3D Fractal Image Set  (Read 2370 times)
richardrosenman
Conqueror

« on: December 17, 2012, 07:11:12 AM »

Fragmentarium is an open source, cross-platform IDE for exploring pixel based graphics on the GPU, by Mikael Hvidtfeldt Christensen. Fragmentarium uses GLSL and harnesses the power of the GPU which renders hundreds, if not thousands, of times faster than CPUs. This is because GPUs have hundreds or thousands of processing cores while CPU's currently have a maximum of 16-32.

Fragmentarium works through progressive path tracing so the more samples you throw at an image and the longer you allow it to render, the more refined it will become. It provides various rendering engines including brute force, area light / soft shadow raytracing, and distance estimation. (For more info regarding DE, please see the Mandelbulb Project.)

There are, of course, serious limitations when rendering with the GPU, resolution being one of them. However, Fragmentarium overcomes this using a clever rendering system in which smaller sectional tiles of the image are rendered and afterwards stitched together to form ultra high resolution images capable of exceeding 150 megapixels in size.

Fragmentarium is not for everyone as it is 100% script based. However, it's an incredible tool for exploring 3D fractals as well as creating your own.

Project Credits
Created by Richard Rosenman.
Algorithms by Syntopia, Kali, Nighty, M. Benesi, and others.

For more information, please visit:
http://hatchstudios.com/work/fragmentarium/

-Richard
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:59:12 PM by richardrosenman » Logged

Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig Wow A peacock

Amazing superb quality artworks, congrats!!

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »

congrats!
my absolute favorite is the first one, it really looks like a smashed menger, cool!
 horsie riding A peacock horsie riding
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:05:45 AM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »

Great work, Richard! I can see that you have put Fragmentarium to good use!
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »

nice work

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:05:17 AM »

I like the lighting.  How much (of the lighting) was post process in PhotoShop?

richardrosenman
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:01:04 AM »

Hey guys - thanks. wink

Benesi: All the optics are of course done in Photoshop as are background replacements (would be great to have transparency in Fragmentarium), color correction, etc. But the lighting Fragmentarium produces is what I've used, then modified.

Like most of my work, I'd say about 20% 3D and 80% Photoshop.

HDR output would also be great to have since subtle gradients often show banding in 8bit/channel color depth.

-Rich

rahulmukerji
Safarist

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

Extraordinary ! Simply out of this world ! Fantastic, fantastic work. I've been just staring that the images, dumbfounded !

Wow !
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: