Logo by MarkJayBee - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 'Look at' constraint for the camera in 3d Navigator  (Read 2281 times)
pedroasecas
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

Hi Jesse and all.

I was wondering if you could add a 'look at' toggle to the view controls in the 3d navigator. Aside from your wonderful addition to export voxel stacks (reaaally welcome!), I also extract surface meshes from the 3d Navigator using the method posted by Don Whitaker in his video tutorial. Useful as it is, I find the constant sliding and moving the viewpoint using only the keyboard a little imprecise for the intended result, so I thought that by being able to rotate the camera temporarily around a fixed point of interest would allow me to extract frames faster and more easily.

Another request, could you also consider some sort of central crosshair or reticle overlay toggle to properly align the camera pov to the point of  interest in the object's surface? Or maybe it could be done by clicking on the desired point and then enabling the proposed 'look at' toggle, I don't know.

Thanks and happy 2012!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »

If you are using 123D Catch, I don't think an accurate camera position is really required. Have you tried to use the main window rotation buttons?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
pedroasecas
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »

Hi again, Bib. I'm using an offline solution, Photoscan, and it also doesn't need perfect accuracy for photo alignment, but it never hurts to have the option smiley

I agree that I could use the main view rotation buttons, as they rotate around Xmid, Ymid and Zmid points as I need, even if zoomed in quite far into the fractal, but I was hoping for some more interactivity by using the 3d navi to quickly focus on a surface point as I explore, and orbit around the place to take some snapshots.

Also, is there a way to have the software automatically recalculate the 3d view as i rotate the object in the main view?

Thanks.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

Also, is there a way to have the software automatically recalculate the 3d view as i rotate the object in the main view?

Why having to hit the Calculate3D button again is a problem?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
pedroasecas
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »

No problem whatsoever smiley. Sorry if my requests make me come across as being lazy embarrass, just thought it would be a little more quick and interactive, that's all.

Cheers.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »

Another request, could you also consider some sort of central crosshair...

This will happen in some kind, can not promise much more for now unfortunately. 
pedroasecas
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »

Jesse, thanks for taking it into account. Take your time and cook everything slowly and steadily until done smiley.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: