Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:55:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Generalizations of Complex Numbers by Circular Functions and Exponentiation  (Read 541 times)
scientiaesthete
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:03:02 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm usually not very active in these forums, but recently I have had an idea that I must share with you.

First I took this amazing equation:

and knowing this property:

and the successive derivatives of the cos/sin:

I noticed that the powers of and the derivatives of cos/sin both repeat after 4 iterations.

Next I defined as having this property:

Because I knew that :

And after satisfying rules of exponentiation, it turns out, amazingly:

Again I notice that the powers of and the derivatives of cosh/sinh both repeat after 2 iterations.

Now I want define a and find a such that:

where satisfies:

so that we may get:

Thus the powers of and the derivatives of would both repeat after 6 iterations. I believe that would then be a true extension to imaginary numbers. Using WolframAlpha: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=f%27%27%27%27%27%27+%3D+f we find some potential

This process can be continued to get and completely generalize complex numbers to higher dimensions.

What are your thoughts on this? For me this is very elegant way to extend complex numbers. My next steps are to find the function that satisfies those properties and to see if this has some more interesting properties. Maybe even test for a true 3D mandelbrot  grin

I really appreciate your help.
s31415
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:41:50 AM »

Well, that's an interesting property... but certainly no extension of the complex numbers. You can solve your problem by observing that h is actually equal to -1, a square root of 1. Similarly, i and -i are fourth roots of 1. So to solve the case of 6 iterations, you need j to be a sixth root of 1, for instance exp(pi i/3). Then take
f(x) = 1/2(exp(jx) + exp(-jx))
It will solve your differential equation (although it's not the only solution, of course).

Best,

Sam

P.S.: How do you type latex equations on this board?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: