Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:41:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbrot fractal with punctured points  (Read 649 times)
Description: new type of chaotic
forth
« on: November 23, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »

I am using an exotic complex-space theory from maths.ru (sorry no English translation of this work) for drawing of Mandelbrot-4D fractal projection on plane.
Here some complex-space theory definitions:
z=A+jB, where A=w+ix, B=y+iz, i^2=-1, j^2=-1, ij=ji=k, k^2=i^2*j^2=1
abs definition:
||A+jB||=sqrt(|A^2+B^2|)=sqrt(|w^2-x^2+y^2-z^2+2i(wx+yz)|)=sqrt(sqrt(w^4+2w^2x^2+x^4+2w^2y^2-2x^2y^2+y^4+8wxyz-2w^2z^2+2x^2z^2+2y^2z^2+z^4))
I am browsing Mandelbrot fractal in other "dimensions" using rotation ((w+ix)*exp(i*g+j*h), where g - real, h - complex number)
When argument of h is near pi/2 and, radius of h > 3,6 then fractal has chaotic punctured points on iteration edges. because of ||z||=0 and w, x, y, z are absolutely very big numbers.
Some drawings:

P.S. Sorry, English isn't my native tongue.
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »

This is just a guess, but if the absolute values are growing really huge during the computation, you might be seeing artifacts caused by numerical errors. Either because you are overflowing the range of values that the computer can represent, or because of the dynamic range (i.e. the quotient of largest to smallest magnitudes) being larger than the numerical precision.

Remember, real numbers in a computer are usually approximations, and they don't always behave like their abstract mathematical siblings.
forth
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 03:04:28 PM »

hobold, you're right. I get overflow on these points
Sorry for this stupid topic  head banging wall
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »

There are no stupid questions. It's just that some of us have made the same mistake earlier than you. smiley
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

indeed cheesy

but it show some interesting property, through the chaotic nature of the iteration loop, the distribution of these dots are "chaotic" and should as well show some propabiolity distributions for the iteration bands ... wink just embrace your problems  police

but they arent "stable" meaning that if you scroll the do not "move", they rather flicker ..... and you cant zoom into wink

btw, did i mention i love double precision gpus ?!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:51:14 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
fractower
Iterator

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »

The definition of magnitude seems a bit off since it creates the possibility for heavy zeros (as you pointed out).  I think this disconnect between the magnitude of the components and the magnitude calculation used for bailout is probably the primary cause of the chaotic noise rather than round off.

Try the following magnitude definition.

|A + jB| = sqrt((w-z)^2 + (x+y)^2)

forth
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »

fractower, your magnitude definition is even worse produces cases of overflow. Chaotic overflow points are produced on even smaller rotation angles. But anyway thank you)

I have changed order of calculation of magnitude function (sqrt(sqr(w^2-x^2+y^2-z^2)+4*sqr((wx+yz)))) and it is produces less overflow points.
New sample with bigger rotation magnitude:
(view at j-angle h=18*exp(i*pi/2))
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:23:21 PM by forth » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: