Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 07:15:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3d combination of lots of 2d hypercomplex mandelbrots  (Read 1262 times)
qooqoo
Forums Newbie

« on: October 24, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »

if you've read about hypercomplex numbers from wikipedia, you know that the complex numbers aren't the only geometrically interesting (and algebraically useful) commutative rings that can be expressed by 2x2 matrices.

in fact, i^2=k where k=-1 is just one possibility.

[main idea]
so has anyone tried making a 3d model where the z-coordinate is the value of i^2. i^2 = z
this way, every z = k plane (where k is any real) represents one hypercomplex ring, and any given object is interpreted within the laws of that ring.
if that object is the mandelbrot set, then for z=-1, you have the regular complex version, but for z = 0 you have a plane segment and for z = 1 you have another deformation of the complex number form into the i^2=+1 version.
[/idea]

this object is mathematically interesting because it surveys lots of possible interpretations. since the mandelbrot set doesn't make any specific use of the unique algebraic properties of the complex numbers, why should it belong solely to that ring?
the same extension should be possible for julia sets.

i'm trying to do this in pov-ray. i haven't really learnt to use it properly and it isn't coming out well.
has anyone tried this before? it's very likely yes. can anyone try rendering it now?
does it make a detailed 3d fractal?

[edit]
i'm sorry if this is unclear and you don't get it.
see below for a formula.

should i have posted this in the mandelbulb section?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:14:03 PM by qooqoo » Logged
JodyVL
Safarist

Everybody's a fool but whose fool are you?

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »

*sigh* .. I truly wish I understood what you meant... tongue stuck out

huh?

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
qooqoo
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »

here's a formula.

(x,y,z)^2 = (x^2 + z*y^2, 2*x*y, z)

|(x,y,z)|^2 = x^2 - z*y^2

iteration Z = Z^2 + c
using above.
same distance^2 limit of 4 where distance is |(x,y,z)| (i guess)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:04:41 PM by qooqoo » Logged
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »

I really think that z can't stay unchanged if you are doing a 3D squaring smiley (x,y,z)^2 = (x^2 + z*y^2, 2*x*y, z)
Anyway welcome

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
qooqoo
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

I really think that z can't stay unchanged if you are doing a 3D squaring smiley (x,y,z)^2 = (x^2 + z*y^2, 2*x*y, z)

z stays unchanged.

Anyway welcome
:)thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:18:33 PM by qooqoo » Logged
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »

Anyway welcome

z stays unchanged.

Most likely you have expanded something in the wrong way, every known fractal formula (2d, 3d, .........) actually changes all axis values at each iteration. Anyway good luck
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:20:30 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
fractower
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »

This method seems to use z as a parameter rather than a vector element.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:31:07 AM »

I think all these have been tried (in 3D and 4D) where all rows/columns are rings with a to h being appropriate unit vectors (R,I ,J,K).

Code:
*   R   I   J   K
R   R   I   J   K
I   I  -R   a   b
J   J   c   d   e
K   K   f   g   h

Break the ring rule and you have a form that's virtually impossible to use in a sensible manner (even the standard Mandelbulb triplex is pretty bad from that point of view).
Change R*x = x but maintaining the ring rule is an interesting idea but obviously violates the rules of both real and complex numbers since a pure real squared no longer results in a real.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »

This method seems to use z as a parameter rather than a vector element.

Yes, it seems to be a parametrized family of 2D number systems, and not really 3D numbers.

For instance, you also have addition in the Mandelbrot formula - and if you want z=-1 to be the standard Mandelbrot plane, you need to define addition such that only the first two components are added.

You can of course still visualize the different 2D families layered on the z-axis. But if you try visualizing the different z-planes in 2D (which is easy), you see that the z-parameter just seem to stretch the Mandelbrot set (at least until it changes sign). So the 3D model will look stretched in the z-direction - I don't think it will inhibit any interesting 3D fractal structure.
qooqoo
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »

so for i^2<0 it's just a stretched complex plane.
for i^2=0 it's all (x,y) where -2<=x<=0.25
for i^2>0 it's a stretched split-complex plane.
is that a summary of it and there's nothing else going on? is it always just a stretch of one of three forms parallel to one axis?
is the only escape if the f in i^2=f(z) is discontinuous?

can anyone still show how the split-complex mandelbrot set evolves from the dual mandelbrot. in other words, letting i^2 be part of the whole region [0..1]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:03:05 PM by qooqoo » Logged
qooqoo
Forums Newbie

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »

for i^2=z
it's a stretch from the complex number form by -1/z as long as z<0
looking at it sideways would show half a rectangular hyperbola.
Sceptical sucks
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: