Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 01:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: experimental: BitCoin Financing  (Read 3273 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: July 05, 2011, 01:37:44 AM »

I am running a test if web-based BitCoint Production can produce income, you find on the top right corner an info field that is the reason for the large CPU Sucking time when beeing on this site,
Registered Users will start auto-disabled, so that just unregistered users will give computation time automatically, you are invited to turn it "on"

as a side note: due to testing reason it is only saving the state in a cookie, not in the account, so different computers may behave different...

for fractal calculators:
it is only taking unused processor time wink nevertheless it is sucking massive energy!

each user is granted a 5% percentage of his calculated earnings

read more about the plugin:
http://www.bitcoinplus.com
http://www.bitcoinplus.com/miner/whatsthis

read more about bitcoins:
www.bitcoin.org

evil fiery police afro angel
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:44:57 AM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »

The 'stop mining' button does not work for me: after turning it on to test it, I couldn't turn it off. Luckily my NoScript plugin could disable it.

My laptop quickly turns on its noisy fans and gets hotter, goes to 100% cpu usage and becomes unresponsive, so I guess it is working.... But since this behaviour is so wildly annoying, I would humbly suggest to make this 'opt-in' for everybody - also unregistered users.

Also, isn't CPU mining in Java very inefficient compared to GPU mining?
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

Your JavaScript would be competing with a multi-Petaflop globally distributed computer.

There's no point doing it.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »

it is a test, i will see how it works, rtight now it is producing 10% of the amount i produce with my gpu alone wink
just wanted to check it out.... fixed some iexplorer bugs, it will be kept on at least a week or so....

---

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »

My laptop CPU (a Core i3 on a laptop) generates 0.75 Mhashes/s with the Java app.

The current BitCoin Plus payout amount is 0.00003516 BTC, which in average takes 1.6 hours to generate on my CPU (you can test this on their website). If I kept the browser page open for one year I'd generate 0.3 BTC, which has a market value of approximately 2 USD. Of that I'll get 5% percent, or just about ten cents. Per year.

As for the power consumption, the difference between idle and max power is about 30W on my laptop, or about 262 kWh per year.  In Denmark this will cost me ~100 USD. So I'll pay 1000 times more for my power usage than I get in return (and 50 times more than Fractal Forums gets).

I'm not against micropayment, and I can fully understand that you need money to support the site, but I don't think browser based BitCoin mining is the right way :-)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:04:55 AM »

6.1 to 6.6 Mh/s here and 59-61% CPU use.
Maybe try a GPU based version through WebGL ?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:08:28 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »

hi there, yes you are all right, one single computer (my) generates with the java hashing algorithm vastly 1Khash/second, there exist webgl implementations for this, the only thing
that might be worth it, that the webkit uses a pool, so it is really likely that we found results ... on the other hand, to make it reasonable there should be at least 1000 people running
this skript ...

i am just experimenting, and most likely i will get rid of it at the end of the week

i like the idea of inflation impossible money, and thus i am thinking about what i could sell via Bitcoins, perhaps i will sell the calendar 2012 via bitcoins, but i do not really know....

for financing the website it is not, the website is carrying itself via adsense ads, and combinated with a 50% cheaper webhosting contract the site is actually doing plus, in 4 years i can reach my personal break even cheesy

it was an idea that could perhaps get rid of the ads, but you are all right, the java implementation is far too slow ( my gpu generates 25MHases/second, compared to 1khash/second on gpu)

nervertheless, i tried to do it as harmful as possible, so that only unregistered users get it default to "ON", but 50 visitors at the same time on the site just generate just 6MHashes/second

i will keep an eye on it, and most certainly get rid of it by the weekend ... when i generated 0.01 bitcoins cheesy

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »

i now removed the bitcoin experiment:

here the stats:
total mined bitcoins, at a rate of ~5megahashes : 0.05047741 Bitcoins which is for an exchange rate of 14$ somehow like 0.70668374$
This will result in 4.00000 payouts per hour, or 0.00241248 BTC per day or 0.03377472$/day

so i removed it, i believe it also had affect on the total page impressions

due to the fact that it is just a java miner the result was not that impressive ...

so, it is turned off now ...

thanks for participating ... wink fiery police alien afro angel

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:35:29 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:45:49 AM »

It may be worth trying again if someone releases a version that uses shaders - in fact I'd guess it's a safe bet wink

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: