Logo by yv3 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 11:59:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Changing parameters is movement in other dimensions ?  (Read 2075 times)
Description: when I watch some of the 3D fractal videos it seems so
Hypercube
Forums Freshman

www.sacredpatterns.com

« on: June 30, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »

Hi -
I am an artist not a mathemetician
but I have a particular interest in higher dimensional geometry.

It seems to me that a lot of the morphing in some of the
incredible 3D fractal fly throughs being created
is actually revealing the structure of the fractal in other dimesions.

For instance - a Mandelbox may have a particular parameter where values
less than 1 or greater than 2 give no form at all
but movement between the values of 1 and 2 reveals an incredible variety of different structures -
in which case we could say that this parameter is a dimension in which the fractal extends 1 unit
and each value for this parameter represents a different cross section of this particular dimension.

Therefore if a fractal is defined by 20 different parameters
it can be conceptualised as having extension in  20 different algorithmic dimensions
which are displayed by our software as variations in the fractals 3 dimensional form
as one changes the value of the parameter.

When a video maker tweaks the parameters to produce morphing
it is the equivalent of moving the higher dimensional shape in a different direction
through our 3D space.

I would love to know if this idea has already been extensively discussed
and whether it is commonly conceptualised this way
or even if the idea has been dismissed as misleading or irrelevant ?

To me it seems that the ultimate extension of this idea is that all 3D fractals
are cross sections of the one infinite dimensional shape that contains all possible fractal forms.
The more varieties of Mandelboxes and Bulbs etc that we see
the more we get the impression of what this section of the Uberfractal structure is like.

Please comment and illuminate this poor finite mind that
is trying to understand these incomprehensible things  grin

Whirreds are the Whorls of the Whirled
eiffie
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »

...or are all fractals the inifinte parameterization of the same 1 dimensional fractal? The god fractal!
I agree with your premise that varying a parameter is like adding a dimension. Beyond that I can only add my own confusion.
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »

Imo, the answer is yes for the question 1 (there are many dimensions)... one formula i wrote proves it. also you can do it replacing in a formula three parameters with C components (you have to rewrite the formula to do this)

for q2... in theory yes but in practice no, you are flying too high  wink

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »

Ah, the inverse example.. the Julibrot fractal is a generalization of Julia and Mandelbrot 2D fractals in 4D space smiley

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Hypercube
Forums Freshman

www.sacredpatterns.com

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:02:53 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

The more I watch the fly through videos of morphing Mandelbox and Mandelbulbs etc
the more intuitively obvious it is to me that we are observing the 3D cross sections
of multidimensional structures rotating and moving through 3D space.

Compare moving through the human body with a EMR machine
and the way bone structures with suddenly appear apparently out of nowhere
as we move from one level of depth to another.

I am still surprised that there is not more interest or discussion
of the multidimensional nature of these algorithmic forms.

@eiffie I agree. As I understand it, all possible states of all universes can be fully defined as single points within an infinite dimensional hilbert space. (Im sure thats not rigorously expressed but I hope you get the drift). Likewise, all possible fractals are points within a infinite dimensional algorithmic space.

Whirreds are the Whorls of the Whirled
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »

I have been thinking about this a lot, and also discussed it here before. One (bad) example: http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/folding-boxes-in-higher-dimentions/msg25574/
Can't find any more examples at the moment, but check out the philosophy corner here: http://www.fractalforums.com/philosophy/

The original mandelbulb is only 3D, but the mandelbox is actually folded through the fourth dimension and I have always imagined it "taking something with it back" from there...  afro

But to "take it down to earth a bit", it is only the mathematic fourth dimension, it is not real world objects... but I like the concept.  A Beer Cup

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:40:30 AM by KRAFTWERK » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: