Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:54:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Burning Ship Deep Zoom  (Read 4956 times)
HPDZ
Iterator

« on: May 16, 2011, 05:26:02 AM »

This is my new flagship video.

I *love* this fractal. It has an awesome array of absolutely beautiful, seductive, mesmerizing shapes, sweetly curving lines mixed with sharp hard angles.

Correction to next sentence 31May11: On 3 Dec 2009 YouTube user "regliptic" uploaded a Burning Ship video. The video description says "128-bit significand floating point" was used, but doesn't give a magnification or size. It is long enough that I believe it is a "deep" zoom (a term with no precise meaning). It unfortunately has the dubious spinning-while-zooming effect. Nevertheless, this may be the first deep-zoom animation of the Burning Ship fractal.

This video is, as far as I am aware, the first and only deep-zoom animation into this fractal ever created. And this is a serious deep zoom, with a final size of 2.35x10-100 vertically in the complex number plane. This was a truly massive project, consisting of 12,000 video frames for 6 minutes and 40 seconds of 1280x720 high-definition fractal animation. These were derived from 407 overlapping primary data sets that are almost all 4434x2497 pixels, which were then interpolated to yield the final video frames. Over 30GB of data went into this, although it took only a little over 28 hours to calculate, since the region of this fractal I chose to zoom in to is pretty sparse.

I went over the top on the video encoding of this, and on the BurningShip1 page of hpdz.net you can download, if you choose, 2GB MP4 and WMV files encoded at greater than 40 Mbps. These show this fractal in the best possible level of detail.

The file uploaded to YouTube was an 800 MB, 15 Mbps full-size WMV encoding. I think it came out OK.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CD9yNFmb2FE&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CD9yNFmb2FE&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:14:02 PM by HPDZ » Logged

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »

Great vid!
To complement it, here is a 3D burning ship dezoom:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yaPTk-DqT1g&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/yaPTk-DqT1g&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:45:49 AM »

Thanks very much for the nice comment.

Actually, it was this exact video that prompted me to explore the Burning Ship fractal in more detail. There is more there than I ever imagined, and it is really a welcome break from the Mandelbrot set, which I do adore...but I welcome, and indeed needed, a new esthetic, a new set of patterns, a new emotional ambience (has anyone ever said the Mandelbrot set is scary or creepy? These are frequent comments about Burning Ship).

And one of the best things about it is that the most interesting images are found in the most computationally sparse area. Something this visually compelling in the Mandelbrot set would have taken weeks to render.

I really love your 3D work. I hope to add this ability into my software at some point. But Real Life is just too demanding right now to allow myself to be immersed in a project of that magnitude.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
GFWorld
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »

On my way for *voting* I had / have a look around latest great work.

It would not be myself not to stop here for a while here - The Burning Ship Formula. I like plays here for a long while  ( DGF , UF :-))) )

To make it short at last - HPDZ, that´s a wonderful, fascinating Video here - all my compliments !!! :-)

Margit
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »

Thanks, Margit. I had not paid much attention to this fractal before, but once I started zooming in on it, wow! I had to switch to 1600x1200 or similar sizes, making huge images with tons of oversampling for noise reduction to see all the exquisite detail. It is really spectacular. I'm working on a series of images and a video with the Cubic version.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »

Excelent zoom video! The first time I see a zoom on this fractal.
(not counting bib's amazing de-zoom of the 3D ship)

I never paid attention to the b.ship also, until some days ago...

Btw, have you seen the inside patterns I found? I realized later that you get this kind of patterns with many formulas by using abs and inner coloring, but I was a little surprised when I found this inside the ship:

The b&w ones shows a miniship inside the patterns, and the second shows more patterns inside this miniship, and so on. I want to make a zoom video out of this.

This link points to the part of my thread when I found this: http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=7116.msg31919#msg31919

Regards,

HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »

Those are awesome images!! I have never done anything with inside coloring. Probably a huge oversight on my part. It looks like there is some fertile ground there. Thanks for the nice comments on my video. I have at least three more planned for the immediate future.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
GFWorld
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »

>Thanks, Margit. I had not paid much attention to this fractal before, but once I started zooming in on it, wow!

Thanks HPDZ for your Feedback - my time for Fractals & a lot I like to do is a bit * reduced * at the moment, but I am sure, I will continue here  :-)))

> I'm working on a series of images and a video with the Cubic version ...

I try to follow & will think around * Links * here at / from my website , if this would be * ok * for you ? :-)))

Margit
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: