Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 01:34:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hard shadows create more noise in 1.697n?  (Read 4810 times)
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« on: May 10, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »

I'm not sure if if it has something to do with the hybrids I'm creating lately or if it is an issue with the latest M3D version, but using hard shadows seem to create additional noise. The effect seems strongest when using hybrids with Folding Integer Power as one of the formulas: Smooth without hard shadows and noisy and grainy with hard shadows. Has anybody else seen similar effects?

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Lee Oliver
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »

I haven't noticed any increase in graininess.

Kalo’smi lokaksayakrt-pravrddho
Lokan smahartum-iha pravrttah|

rte’pi twam na bhavisyanti sarve
ye’vasthitah pratyanikesu yodhah
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:05:54 AM »

There is a little issue that showes up only in certain fractals, generating some little black streaks to the right side of shadows...
this will be fixed in the next version.  I guess this is due to the fact that the hard shadows takes account of the variable DEstop on Z, since version 1.697.  Some speedup functions seems to have trouble with it.
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:40:22 AM »

Think I've used Hard Shadows maybe twice since I started with MB3d, to lazy to get them set right and too impatient to wait on the additional render time. I'd have definitely been yellin if FoldingIntPower was afflicted with noise otherwise though, use it all the time.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:29 AM »

Agreed, there are certain types of hybrids where hard shadows have a disastrous noisy effect all over the surface.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »

Thanks. I haven't seen any black streaks like Jesse describes. It's more like bib's observation: Surfaces that seem smooth at first have a mottled look after Hard shadow calculation. Playing with DE-stop seems to help a little in some cases, but any of the other noise reducing techniques have little or no effect.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the next version with noise reduction AND reflections!  No pressure intended, Jesse  wink grin wink

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »

Could someone please post parameters with this noise issue?
 ...just to be sure that i solved it in the next version!

The reflections are making some progress too, after a little hardware breakdown.
Running on half memory now, hope that no breakdowns are happening anymore  undecided

* Theli theArrival SR poslight250.jpg (228.99 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 333 times.)
MarkJayBee
Fractal Fertilizer

Markjaybee Fractal Mark_Jay_Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:31:32 AM »

Dunno if this is the kind of thing you're talking about madman, but
I've noticed this 'leopard skin' pattern - as bib christened it! - in some
of my renders which have predominantly smooth surfaces. It's acceptable
in some images, but I wouldn't want it every time I use hard shadows!

If the the params would help, let me know?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:35:54 AM by MarkJayBee » Logged

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried in the first place.

http://markjaybeefractal.com/
http://mjb-graphics.co.uk/
http://deviantart.com/markjaybee/
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »

Thanks Mark, but that soft spots are more due to the ambient shadow on DE's, i guess.
Because the DE's with reciprocal formulas vary much.

I discovered once some HS noise, but more test images would be better, so...
post also directly to me if you don't want to publish the parameters, thx!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:05:47 AM »

I usually do not save faulty params but if I encounter it I will post it.

Btw the reflections seem absolutely fantastic, a true game changer, again!

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
lenord
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »

On the Reflections *note*
I'm very familiar with raytrace Reflects/Refracts from using MojoWorld and Bryce. In those apps heavy Reflects added exponentially to Render times, will it be the same for MB3d?
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »

OK, time to post some samples then. See the attachments. Both are details of a larger render. The first one is with hard shadows and shows the grainy look and the second one is without hard shadows. These are the parameters:

Mandelbulb3Dv16{
O.....Y/..k72...6....26...kmrRmk7tuizk4pXNuLIB/EsVi.RjDtUz9M7FT/huPozk9davf9F/wD
................................S735WWGpc/2........Y./..................Y.2.....
................/s10/....6Ev7...B/...2EC.....2K.//QRekhD/s1........c./...w1....U
./EnAnQD/...02EmlVuauz.3.bwuGSZKu2.kYjx/fWyA3.2...................2...sD...../..
.w1...sDKgOL1FPihuv9DXl7jhyqy6DA67ttKIYjNVcHiZ54qtfGw7fml4U2y8OqorkudkhDgvqGzIiu
PvHBor6aecPfyktY8a7WkLbD......Yd2...D4................sD..E.0...................
..............................MRS3.4qtJ.kObL/UoRS3.srtJ.sVbL/.FSS3..............
.....................wzzz1.U..6.P....61...EB....I....U3...U2....F/...I1....UJl22
...U.ydelyjeYFnzTeOgzf8No.6/0EVzRHLI.QvubxYsDCtDwGGmc8YlJz1W.o0aMg.jz.U.8.U4Ux..
IwUmc2beYz1RdA8E5Exwz0...........6U0.syy61EXrpgPsZKyz0......................0c..
O5yw.oklrlkCx9zD5Got8VlJqy9..........2U.8.kzzzD.................................
/6U0.wzzz1....................................uBZ.EHVM/.zzFoTu2.cxo7.szDnueM.g5P
D/EzTt6Ul/kF.V1.Qs5crI0.B3W3..bTUSH7.oI6K..ly/uBZ.EHVM/.Mw5crI0.B3W3.kqTUSH7.oI6
K..kz/uBZ.EHVM/....crI0.zzFoTu2.yzngi84.xzZX.45.................................
E....6...../....I....M....EE0x4SK3aQtBpMVlKNoE4.......................k/..E.....
..........EnAnAnAnAzz.........yD........kzXwGrYMEUJmz.........zD................
................................................................................
.....................2....U/....1....MoPgFKOiR467t4RU.pPr/......................
8..0...........................E........d/A........wz...........................
................................................................................
................................}

* Detail HS.jpg (37.81 KB, 284x189 - viewed 564 times.)

* Detail no HS.jpg (35.5 KB, 284x189 - viewed 522 times.)

lenord
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »

You know I think I have seen that before, on a couple from a ways back, I know I didn't use HS but I think I used DEAO. If I remember right what I did was up the Max iterations, which of course affected color and the scene a bit but I went with it.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »

@Madman:  Thank you, the parameters seems to be very good for a test.

@bib:  I would not say it is a game changer, but a nice effect that fits with some images, mostly with many flat surfaces and no great details.
And no urgent need to post more parameters yet, thx.

@lenord:  This effect is not exponential scaled (for time consumption) in reflection depth, because it calculates only straight reflections (and some DEAO rays) and not do a full monte carlo simulation.  That would take maybe some month to render an image noisefree smiley

cheers  A Beer Cup
lenord
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:09 PM »

Jesse
"@lenord:  This effect is not exponential scaled (for time consumption) in reflection depth, because it calculates only straight reflections (and some DEAO rays) and not do a full monte carlo simulation.  That would take maybe some month to render an image noisefree"

That's good, perfect. The reflects/refracts in MoJo, although superb. are the Full Monty as you say and render time is unbearably long, 2 days for a 2kX1k is a bit much no matter how good it is.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: