Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 04:14:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Idea for inversions - no more fuzzy?  (Read 1134 times)
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« on: March 20, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »

cheesy

I have tried this modification for my sphere inversion;

.Version = 2
.DEscale = -1
.SIpower = -1

Modified ONLY de-options
I suppose that this recalculate the distance vector, so fixes the distance estimation bug, raising it by a power of -1.
Descale... I don't know what it is exactly, but it fixes even better the distance estimation cheesy
Is it possible to make the same with _reciprocalX and every other inversion? And how do I calculate and modify that blessed vector? grin

Now my sphere inversion works incomparably better! Before, shapes looked very odd. Near the center they looked kinda fuzzy, far from it they looked more and more rounded. Wrong! angry

Attached images with vs without. shocked

* haferman.jpg (75.72 KB, 724x653 - viewed 145 times.)

* haferman.jpg (73 KB, 724x653 - viewed 163 times.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:09:50 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »

Anyway the trick seems to work well with reciprocalX too... Now I rendered a Menger sponge with fixed reciprocalX and I see a bunch of small details, that before were hidden. Also a "wall" appears at x=0 but it's not a trouble (this is due to overflows I think, so he thinks that an overflow zone is a "zero" zone, can be fixed easily I think) huh?

Obviously, the more far you go from the origin the less works the de, but it's normal smiley

Only have set destop to 1.5 and not 1, to avoid noise in some spots

MarkJayBee
Fractal Fertilizer

Markjaybee Fractal Mark_Jay_Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »

Hurrah! Great work Luca! cheesy My two current fave formulas, and you seem to
be on the track to fixing the one major pain with them - noise!!
Looking forward to using them when available.  wink

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried in the first place.

http://markjaybeefractal.com/
http://mjb-graphics.co.uk/
http://deviantart.com/markjaybee/
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »

Hurrah! Great work Luca! cheesy My two current fave formulas, and you seem to
be on the track to fixing the one major pain with them - noise!!
Looking forward to using them when available.  wink

The possible issue is that they are moved to "formula" folder and no longer in transforms... Now let's wait for Jessie canadian

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »

Okay: I added the new fixed sphere inversion. Obviously, I haven't changed the code but only the options so when the old one didn't worked at all this also doesn't work at all grin ... The difference is only less noise, and the tab (shown in 3D formula tab and no longer in tranforms).

I don't fix all other ones because if I do so the 3D formula tab becomes plenty of transforms! sad

Also, added "Celtic mode". See the file for detailed info on usage angel

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »

As far i can tell the reason is the same as why i put my speherinvc formula into the 3d section:
without the .DEoption parameter it is set to 0, meaning it is calculated with Buddhis 4 point method.
In this case it is better because the analytical calculation of the menger or other anaylical formulas are disturbed by the reciprocal thing.

The Descale is a factor that will be multiplied with the calculated DE, dunno why -1 is working at all - it should not work!
In a hybrid it will be averaged with other formulas scalings, but i would change it to 1 or leave it at all.  Same for the Si (smoothed iteration) value.

I have to make a switch to disable the analytical DE calculation at all, so we don't have to put all that addons to the 3d tab...
an empty dummy 3d formula in the first position could do this job as well, maybe this could be an option until then?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: