Logo by blob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 09:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Color bands  (Read 1606 times)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »

This color bands side effect is quite common when you use strong glow effects or when the 2 background gradient colors are very similar. It is not extremely visible in the attached picture, but sometimes it can be very annoying...  cry sad

Do you know how to avoid it? Is it due to a limitation of M3D? (24-bit colors?) huh?

Thanks  embarrass afro angel

Edit: this happens even when saving with 100% jpeg quality. Maybe I should save as bmp?

* glow bands.jpg (139.58 KB, 800x600 - viewed 385 times.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:24:57 PM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »

I think it's a 24-bit colour limitation. I recognize the issue (mainly with gradients of similar background colours in M3D), but have also encountered it with  in UF and Chaospro if colours are close to each other. I think it's time for the introduction of HDR in fractal generation! And cheaper true HDR monitors...

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »

I have also encountered this effect in other programs but I think that it happens more frequently in M3D, so I wonder if it can be enhanced or if it's just me.

Jesse, if you read me?...

Have a look at the other example in attachment (an extract from a bigger picture)...I feel that 24-bit colors could do a nice fade here, but that M3D does not do it.

Maybe I like this program so much that I ask for too much cheesy

* Sans titre.jpg (5.32 KB, 640x400 - viewed 327 times.)

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:20:41 AM »

PNG would be an option  wink

If you are talking about the "dynamic fog", that is based on the raymarch stepcount and so it is naturally integer based.  Here the "first step random" option can help if there are only few steps.

The background gradient should not be worse than any other common 24 bit color image, and the maximum the current displays can show...
but i will look in the painting routine if i find some issues (but the values are treated in floats in here and the last step is rounding).

More visible accuracy than 8 bit per color channel would be only with dithering possible.
mondaymorninglunatic
Alien

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »

yes! a dithering option would just be great!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »

Did you tried the "first step random" option, it is like a dithering for the dynamic fog banding issue.
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »

Did you tried the "first step random" option, it is like a dithering for the dynamic fog banding issue.

I have been battling color banding in the distance w/ gpu shaders as well.

So, generally i think?, level of detail (and performance grin) management is typically done by increasing minimum distance bailout of the iterative ray marching, depending on projected on-screen error.
That means the drawn 'hull' around the fractal is thicker in the distance. Hence coloring based on magnitude of final vector and such will 'band' since for say a smooth surface at an angle in the distance, since the computed distance to the surface for the pixels will vary and hence the color. Very distracting in movement / movies, dithering / aa or not.
Fog or other muting of color in the distance, or limiting depth of field (i.e. introduce blur) is a general approach to make the effect less pronounced, as well as to control high frequency aliasing noise.
Are we talking about the same problem? Can we do better? At speed?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: