Logo by kameelian - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 01:11:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Magnification issue  (Read 2684 times)
Description: Magnification issue
mehrdadart
Alien

« on: January 21, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

I have tried different formulas to magnify them as much as possible. unfortunately, there are 3 kinds of difficulties trying to magnify so far inside: 1. after going too much inside a formula you can not get closer to some surfaces, but you can go through them to reach what is behind them. why such a thing must happen? getting close to them they leave their identity and dissolve! 2. after a large amount of magnification, shapes start spoiling. Like that mandelbulb fractals do not imply the fact that the details of fractals are endlessly zoom-able. Which fault causes this? I think changing a parameter, increasing the number of iterations, must solve the problem. But I did not figure it out. Can anybody help? 3. Sometimes, When you try to move through a path between two walls, you will contact them and cut them. Some way that the white material inside of them appears. It specially happens in animations. It seems that the camera moving inside the fractals has physical existence with some dimensions which can not pass strait routes. If you are not familiar with such a problem I can share files.
 sad
needless to say that I always use 3D Navigator in magnifications.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:09:00 PM by mehrdadart » Logged
Tex Arcana
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »

I'm familiar with some of the issues you describe, but they can usually be controlled with careful use of camera angles.  I'm not a maths expert by any means and am still a 3D fractal noob, but I hope the following tips will help you...

1. Reducing the FOVy value in the Camera tab acts as a kind of secondary zoom, which can be used to get "up close" features, without causing slicing or moving the camera through the object.

2. I've not come across this myself in Mandelbulb 3D, but have occasionally experienced similar effects in older, 2D fractal software.  Maybe someone with a better maths head can explain further; although again: a high FOVy value will give an effect a bit like a wide-angle lens and cause the centre of the image to "bulge out".  Reducing the FOVy value *may* reduce some types of distortion.

3.  Again, I would try reducing the FOVy value, to give a narrower field of view.

Manually adjusting the three Z values at the top right of the window can also help produce a "clean" image, free of cross sections.

The colour of cross-section of the sliced material can be altered to blend with its surroundings (although I can't remember how at this moment).  Slicing *can* be used to great creative effect, to reveal additional structure, texture and detail within a fractal, which might otherwise remain unobserved.  Have a look at the recent pictures by FF member haltenny for some examples of how slicing can be used as a feature.

If you really can't stand the slicing effect, then try Mandelbulber instead.  It doesn't appear to produce slicing and has easier 3D navigation IMO - but be prepared for longer rendering times.

In the meantime, don't forget that both Mandelbulb 3D and Mandelbulber have been given FREE to the fractal art community by their creators.  Jesse, Buddhi and others have donated many, many hours of their time FOR NOTHING except their love of fractals.  3D fractal software is still pretty new and still undergoing development; these are still early days and things can only continue to get better smiley
The Rev
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »

One trick I was taught by a member here is to set the min distance value (which is 0 by default) to some really low number instead, like 0.00001.  I find I have to add some zeros when I get in really REALLY close (like zooms around 1,000,000,000), but it does a good job eliminating clipping.

The Rev
mehrdadart
Alien

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »

Buddy,

Thanks so much for putting time to write these tips. I am going to try them now. And needless to say that I have always thanked Jess for his restless effort in this area. He has made it possible for us to explore 3D fractals and is always improving his awesome software. It implies to other fractal coders as well.    afro
mehrdadart
Alien

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »

The Rev=>

Thanks a lot. I tried it once without any result. Decreasing that variant did not change anything for me here.   angry
Tex Arcana
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »

You're welcome - looking forward to seeing your creations smiley
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »

One trick I was taught by a member here is to set the min distance value (which is 0 by default) to some really low number instead, like 0.00001.  I find I have to add some zeros when I get in really REALLY close (like zooms around 1,000,000,000), but it does a good job eliminating clipping.

The Rev

Man that's a tip I can use, hadn't thought of trying <0 min distance, thanks.
Tex Arcana
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »

One trick I was taught by a member here is to set the min distance value (which is 0 by default)...
Man that's a tip I can use, hadn't thought of trying <0 min distance, thanks.

Do you meant the Zstart value?  I often set this to something like -4 now, when embarking on a deep zoom mission.

My last post wasn't totally clear.  I'm still experimenting, but my basic routine for avoiding slicing while zooming goes *something* like this...

1. Select the Zoom button and left-click on the point to zoom in on.
2. Repeat until slicing appears.
3. Reduce the Zstart value (try -4 to start with) and repeat the above steps. This may not work forever and should be treated as a coarse zoom technique only.
4. For finer zoom control, increase the Zoom value. When doing this has little / no further effect, reduce the FOVy value in the camera tab.
5. Reducing the FOVy value may increase the effect of raising the Zoom value again.  Play with both values together, to achieve the required level of zoom.

Any suggestions on how to refine this technique are welcome smiley
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »

Must be Z-Start, min distance did nothing, gotta try the Z-Start thing now
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »

These issues are related to formulas and hybrids with inaccurate DE's.  It affects also the navigation and sometimes you have to check the 'fixed zoom and steps' option in the tab below the navi, so the zoom does not increase or decrease in a wild way.
If structures are sliced, the zoom is to low for this location - meaning that the DE was calced in the navi to big.  Set it to higher values in the main window, if you the magnification is to high you have to step back again.

While zooming in, the iterationcount is smoothly increasing and structures may vanish because on higher iteration they are 'bailing out', this is quite normal and it depends on the formula and the parameters like the scale how solid the object is.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: