Logo by lycium - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 02:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Quick test question  (Read 4719 times)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »

Here is a test question:

If you draw a straight line across the Mandelbrot Set such that the line intersects the true "inside" of the Set and not just the boundary, then how many Mandelbrot Set boundary points lie on the line ?

I will unlock the topic when I think enough folks have considered the possible answer wink
(Please do not give the answer in other threads)

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »

Was hoping for a lot more than 32 readers before I unlock this, especially those less familiar with fractals and the Mandelbrot Set - please see first post in thread.....

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »

Anyone think they know the answer ?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:44 AM »

I have a totally Uneducated Guess!

Either 2, or an Infinite Number.

2 if you count the entry and exit points along the border, but Infinite if you want my original first thought which I could not back up logically in any way...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kek
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:31:07 AM »

I don't really understand your question. Is the only possibillity for this like line B or every line like line A as well

But actually I think there will be infinite cause of all the tiny cardioids on the outside regions of the Mandelbrot-set.

next question is of course how infinite is this?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:35:29 AM by kek » Logged
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:44:59 AM »

Here is a test question:

If you draw a straight line across the Mandelbrot Set such that the line intersects the true "inside" of the Set and not just the boundary, then how many Mandelbrot Set boundary points lie on the line ?

I will unlock the topic when I think enough folks have considered the possible answer wink
(Please do not give the answer in other threads)

0 since there are no 'boundary' points
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:34:11 AM »

The answer is infinity simply because (in the infinite limit) the dimension of the boundary is 2 (everywhere).

Please note that by "boundary" points I mean those points that are "inside" but adjacent to the "outside" to infinite resolution - the classic exampe being (-2,0).

As to the lines A and B, both would qualify - in fact any straight line drawn through the whole Set at any angle (from "outside" through "inside" back to "outside") would produce the same result.
The x (real) axis of course has an infinite number of boundary points in the spike.

Note that if a curved line were allowed then even restricting it such that it must start "outside" pass through to "inside" and back to "outside" the answer would be any number of points from 2 to infinity (assuming it isn't allowed to cross or touch itself).

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: