Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 08:29:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hi from Miqel - fractal geek/artist for 20+ yrs  (Read 1925 times)
Description: greetings & links to my fractals
miqel
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »

Hello Fractal Forums!
My name is Michael Coleman & I'm located in Nashville TN. I've loved this site for years but just recently got into using Mandelbulber and felt like it would be a good time to join. It's fun to talk, learn & share with other fractal fanatics and being on the forum seems like the best way to keep better track of the new advances in fractal imaging.

Some of you may have come across my site on the interwebs, due to some weird luck I've had the #2 Google result for the search term 'Natural Fractals' for a few years, as well as first-page returns for quite a few other fractal related searches.

Here's the link to my Fractal/Math Pattern information pages
http://www.miqel.com/fractals_math_patterns/visual_math_varieties.html
and to my personal gallery of Mandelbrot pics
http://www.miqel.com/miqel_data/art/fractal_art_image_gallery.html
and the 'Visual Guide to Mandelbrot patterns' i've been working on
http://www.miqel.com/fractals_math_patterns/mandelbrot_fractal_guide.html

It's so great to visit these forums and see the amazing work on display - this is where the cutting edge of fractal art happens!
I was introduced to fractals around 1989 by a friend who had recently obtained FRACTINT. The colors and form immediately captured my attention and I became fascinated with learning how such images could arise from simple equations. They also reminded me of patterns i'd seen in my mind's eye on 'magic' mushroom trips, it was shocking that they had a mathematical origin. We were using an early PC 386 computer (or worse) and it sometimes took between 5 and 20 hours to render a 256 color 800x600 Mandelbrot!
Later I read James Gleck's classic book "Chaos", as well as "Turbulent Mirror" and some of the fractal books by Clifford Pickover. The main motivation to get my first computer was to be able to run Fractint smiley
Later KPT came out with the "Fraxplorer" plug-in for Photoshop. This program had the feature i'd always wanted - Real-Time Zoom !!! So i spent endless hours traveling around the Mandelbrot Set and learning how to mix & match patterns. Unfortunately Fraxplorer doesn't save coordinates, so all those 1000's of journeys are to places i'll likely never find again.
Recently i began using Mandelbulber to explore the bulb as well as the Mandelbox (especially -1.3 thu -1.cool, which is presently my favorite place to explore. I consider my fractal art to be a form of mathematical nature-photography ... I like to go exploring and document what lies in the wilderness between dimensions.  

So yeah, anyhow that's my intro! Thanks for reading smiley
~Miqel

[p]

[p]

[p]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:29:20 AM by miqel » Logged
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:11:57 AM »

Hey Miqel,

Warm welcome. Your website has been linked several times from here, and I really find it very complete and fantastic.

Thanks for joining fractalforums, it's a pleasure to have you on board!

Cheers  A Beer Cup

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:24 AM »

hello and welcome to the forums!
be sure to check out "mandelbulb3d" as well!
your site has indeed been linked many times, especially for that photography:
http://www.miqel.com/images_1/fractal_math_patterns/mandelbrot-set/mandelbrot_tattoo.jpg
you know her ? cheesy

your site has a tremendous insight for fractal facts and places to explore on the mandelbrot, it is a huge site, really nice to have ya on board as well!
regards!

A Beer Cup <- the beer seems to really greatly improve the smileys section cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
miqel
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »

@Bib - Thanks! Glad to be here & thanks for the website compliment smiley

@Trifox - i'm still in 'Kid with a new toy' mode on Mandelbulber, but as soon as the novelty starts to wear off i'll definitely try Mandelbulb3d!  I WISH I knew the girl w/ a Mandelbrot tattoo! I found the pic linked to Pickover's "Reality Carnival' blog. It seems probable that technology is not far from creating a computer controlled tattoo machine, which could render photo quality fractals on a complex surface like skin. Maybe in the next 10 years?
Thanks for the words about my site, looking at it I can see a lot of things which could be improved .. just need to find the time to do it smiley
BTW, if anyone notices their images used on there without credit, please contact me & I will fix it & provide backlinks if you want. I used some photos from Google images that originated here but didn't save the artist info for some of them. embarrass
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: