Logo by JosLeys - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 08:08:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Biocursion DVD Arrived Today!  (Read 10858 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: December 29, 2006, 09:03:35 PM »

Thank You Very Much for the Wonderful DVD!

I am about to relax and watch it.

Barring Interruptions I'll have a review later tonight or tomorrow!

This is just a public Thanks to All involved.

Stay tuned for the review...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 05:54:02 PM »

This review will not be very professional...

Sorry.

First - an over all rating - Excellent!

Next a bit of what to expect - Lots of the shiniest, nicest rendered, fractals I've ever seen.  Dizzying Camera spins around hypnotic patterns were almost too much while drunk! (It was New Year's Eve...)

The animation was splendid with both morphing shapes and colors, combined with more great camera movement.

I was especially impressed with one sequence where a deep dive was done slowly, then it pulled out fast, the fractal morphed, and the dive began again...  only to rise out quickly in the same way and repeat the  process several times.

Quite wonderful.

The music was actually Pleasant!  I say that as if I am surprised because I mostly like jazz, classical, and other quiet stuff.  Very little electronic music appeals to me.

This did.

That makes it special!

I'm very impressed and think that those of us who can afford to buy this DVD just spend the money and get  it!

It is a Wonderful Experience.

I shall use this for background while creating!

Thanks again!!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:30:15 PM »

mine arrived today, bit of a story about that (why it's so late etc)... in any case i haven't watched it either yet, i'll post a bit about it once i've seen it smiley

bradorpoints
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:23:11 PM »

Sorry, Sockratease - I meant to reply soon after you posted your comments. 

I'm glad you enjoyed biocursion.  Feedback like yours proves the time spent producing the dvd was more than worth it.  I'd like to make another - but that will have to wait until PCs are 6-8 times faster than they are now (and that's just to render at 1080p..).

regards,

Eric
ericbigas
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:27:46 AM »

I'd like to make another - but that will have to wait until PCs are 6-8 times faster than they are now (and that's just to render at 1080p..).

I'm hoping "Biocursion" sells like hotcakes and you can get a few extra PCs on the job.  Ultra Fractal Server is supposed to be able to do distributed rendering but I haven't heard about anyone using this feature.

Scott Draves really nailed this problem.  He gives people a free screensaver which shows flame animations.  Behind the scenes, the screensaver is rendering HD flames on the user's computer.  When the HD animations are done, they get uploaded to Draves' server.  He puts them on a Mac which shows an 18-hour loop of the HD flames, and sells it for $4000 to companies like Google as an art installation.  He says it'd take 200 years to render the HD flames on a single computer but instead he's got other people doing it for him for free.  Damn smart.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »

Eric Bigas wrote:
>
>    Scott Draves .... gives people a free screensaver....  Behind the scenes, the
>    screensaver is rendering HD flames on the user's computer.  ...they get
>    uploaded to Draves' server.  He .... sells it for $4000 to companies like Google
>    as an art installation.  ....he's got other people doing it for him for free.

I hear about stories like this all the time which go on in third-world nations, where people are being used to do the work so someone else can make loads of money off of them.     sad

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »

Eric Bigas wrote:
>
>    Scott Draves .... gives people a free screensaver....  Behind the scenes, the
>    screensaver is rendering HD flames on the user's computer.  ...they get
>    uploaded to Draves' server.  He .... sells it for $4000 to companies like Google
>    as an art installation.  ....he's got other people doing it for him for free.

I hear about stories like this all the time which go on in third-world nations, where people are being used to do the work so someone else can make loads of money off of them.     sad

in this case the person getting short-changed is his (former) university. to be fair i think he later got hosting, but for a long time he moved toooons of data through his uni - probably not in a commercial context. one kinda has to take that into consideration when looking at the "smart business" aspect: he's not only smart, he was also fortunate in that instance.

anyway, i had no idea he charges that much for an installation. i've downloaded and watched the talk he gave at google, and while his directed graph approach is pretty awesome, dunno, is it worth $4000? i'll do it for less ;P

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: