Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Strange Attractors Explorer  (Read 5510 times)
Description: Java Based using Processing
Thunderwave
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:13:31 AM »

What it is:
This program renders attractors using varied formulas I generated based on Mandelbrot's and the Quadratic Map.
It renders them similar to other programs but is not based on just one equation.

Why did I do this?
This project was only an experiment and was for me to learn more about Attractors (and Processing) and to mess with formulas to produce different types of attractors.  I never really meant it to be public....  but here it is.

How to interact with the program?
First timers just press 0-9 or shift+0-9 to find a nice one, then 'f8' for a nicer looking version, now we wait a while. Right click to save an image in the directory of the program.  Press 't' to save a text file of the rendering.
Also you can press 'f1' for faster rendering, then 'q' to randomize, wait a while for a random attractor to pop up.  Then press f8 to render it better.
Press 'c' to change color randomly.

For the full reference their is a link at my page at the bottom.

I have not been able to get a working web app (it's just a blank white box for me),  I searched help but no luck at all.

but I have got Macosx and Windows working applications plus full source code for Processing and Java. 

The Linux app is not tested since I can't get Ubuntu 10.10 to work with Java yet.

I tested it on Windows 7 64 and Mac OSX 10.4 PPC.

It's not fully documented yet but I have been very busy.
It's key input only with no GUI yet...
The instructions appear on the first frame (Though they aren't great instructions yet).

I want to get the coloring method out of the draw loop and into a key called event, like when the user changes colors.
So far the method of coloring is really screwy and I need to clean it up.

I commented a lot on the coding and it requires a font in the data folder and the PrintWriter library (only if you want to build from source).

Please let me know what ideas you have and any help at all would be more then welcomed.
I'm currently taking a break from it since I have been working on it non-stop for the past month or two...  I lost track of time.  This version 0.28 means I have made about 28 major changes.  Version 0.07 was done in September 22 but I lost all previous versions before that one.

If the Java program won't load or it is a blank white box, you will have to download the application for your OS at the bottom of the page.
http://paintingsonsilence.com/fractals/strangeattractorx/
Thunderwave
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:06 AM »

Some renderings.
Sorry the Background is only changeable in the code.
Sorry I can't make true transparency.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »

This reminds me of my old friend - Chaoscope!

I think as a first step, it desperately needs some sort of "completion" indicator, either a bar, or just a text showing percent done or time remaining, so we know the program is actually doing something and not just freezing up because of java issues.

As it stands, it shows much potential, but is too difficult to interact with to have any real value as a creative tool.

If you want GUI suggestions, just have a look at Chaoscope!  It's not wrong to take cues from what's out there, just don't clone it  (Look at how ChaosPro was "modeled after" ultrafractal to see that this is not an uncommon way of doing things).

I also love that Chaoscope takes .map files for coloring  smiley  They'd be a real plus for this program.

Good Luck with it.  I'll post any images I get if I can figure out how to tell when it's done  (as of now, right clicking to save the image does nothing).

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Thunderwave
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »

Thanks Sockratease!   Grin with closed eyes
I am looking at different ways for GUI and as far as a progress bar, none is possible while it loops.  I have to make a loop using calling methods which take up more time and thus the render takes twice as long.  A way I do it, but is in no way the best solution, is to call up a system reporter such as "Task Monitor" in windows or the "top" method in shell-script (just type "top" in the console).  They will list Java app/window and show how much cpu it is using and when it goes below 10 it should be done.

I plan to fix those issues and come up with better coloring methods soon.
Thanks for the advice and I have downloaded Chaoscope!

Cheers!
Thunderwave
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »

(as of now, right clicking to save the image does nothing).

It only works in the app version and it saves it in the same folder the java file exists in as fractal
  • .tif .
Thunderwave
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:23:31 AM »

Update!

I have now GUI!
Thanks to controlP5 library for Processing.

Once you press Render you can not stop it.  I plan to fix this soon I hope.
Also once it renders any action will cause it to re-render.[BAD]  You have to push "edit", and then you will lose the render so be sure to save it.
Also saving text and images appear in the pde directory location of the program and are overwritten each time you load the program and save new files.
So be sure to move them or rename them.
The text file will save all the data to recreate the Attractor but no GUI implementation is of yet....  Coming soon.

Hope it it more enjoyable now

http://paintingsonsilence.com/fractals/strangeattractorx/

Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:20:48 PM »

Hmm reminds me of Iteration for Android!

Sensitively dependant on initial conditions
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »

I made an Apo plugin for quadratic attractors a while ago wink

http://lucagn.deviantart.com/art/q-ode-Apoplugin-Scripts-271504412

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: