Logo by mrob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 07:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: MDZ-0.0.7  (Read 1585 times)
Description: New Release
jwm-art
Iterator

« on: October 29, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »

http://jwm-art.net/mdz/mdz-0.0.7.tar.bz2
http://jwm-art.net/mdz/

CHANGES

mdz-0.0.7
-------------------------------------------

Compatible with MPFR versions 2.3 to 3.0
Tested on 64bit Debian Lenny and Gentoo ~amd64.

NEW FEATURES:

* Coordinates system now uses center and
  size as a location reference point.

* New coordinates dialog shows and allows
  editing of exact coordinates of image.

* MDZ files now store coordinates as cx, cy,
  and size and writes xmin, xmax, ymax as
  comments in the file.

* Transparent handling of old-style MDZ files
  and new style.

* Ability to load an mdz file without loading
  the palette data.

* Ability to load only the palette data from
  an MDZ file without loading the fractal
  settings.

* MDZ files can now contain comments. To make
  a comment the line must start with the
  # character.

* Ability to change number of render threads
  from within the Attributes dialog.

FIXES:

* File filters added to file choosers making
  extensions of files more obvious.

* Julia sets now drawn in the middle of the
  windows (unless repositioned or zoomed of
  course).

* Independent Julia and Mandelbrot coordinates
  don't effect each other when zooming.

* Refactoring of settings loading.

* Now defaults to 2 threads instead of 64. While
  this is slower, it has the benefit of not
  slowing your entire system down.
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:24:05 AM »

Very cool!  Were I not in the middle of rebuilding my system (grub went a little...nuts and took out the partition table, as near as I can reckon), I'd get right on running this through its paces!  I like the sounds of the changes.
Will enjoy the dev library updates, but you know.  It's all good.

I'll give you better feedback once the system is all updated and happy.  I had to laugh, though -- I didn't really think about how many threads it had as its default until I read that in the changes...I always just ran it -t 2, anyway... smiley

Phil
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »

Thanks Phil.

I'm not sure grub would take out the partition table, but I suppose it's possible. Have you tried systemrescuecd?

James
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »

I may have been simply a symptom of a deeper problem, but it presented itself, there...  From the initial grub loading, it blinked, came up with no options and then upon reboot, it couldn't find the partition table.  When I went in with the LiveCD, I did all the repair loveliness in the gParted to repair the partition table and then re-ran the grub buildery thing (my thesaurus is broken, this morning...coffee seems to have misfired) and it said it was fine.  Rebooted and it did the exact same thing.  I then took that opportunity to see what LinuxMint 10RC looked like...it's nice, btw, but the X support of my ancient i865 video card seems to have gone boing...will fix that, later.

At any rate -- have been kicking the tires a bit and I am quite pleased.  Good stuff!  The coords look good and I like the settings output.  It also seems to be a bit faster, which is cool.  Oh -- and I like the suggested arbitrary precision suggestion.  Sort of subtle, but I like it.

Oh, and you can now say that it's been successfully built and tested in LinuxMint 10RC (Ubuntu 10.10).

Phil
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:42:15 AM »

a bit faster, which is cool.  Oh -- and I like the suggested arbitrary precision suggestion.  Sort of subtle, but I like it.

Uhnmnm. I've being playing around and there seems to be something wrong which I'm guessing is related to the precision. It may be that using the center point coordinate and size as the reference point rather than the 3 (out of 4 ;-) corner coordinates requires more precision to calculate (or to translate into the three corner points as there some things i've not changed yet). There again, I've got the precision set to double that recommended.. A sometimes-but-not-always settings files loading problem too... Pffff.
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »

Uhnmnm. I've being playing around and there seems to be something wrong which I'm guessing is related to the precision. It may be that using the center point coordinate and size as the reference point rather than the 3 (out of 4 ;-) corner coordinates requires more precision to calculate (or to translate into the three corner points as there some things i've not changed yet). There again, I've got the precision set to double that recommended..

Would that explain why the number of iterations I normally used with 0.0.6 seems to not be enough on the deeper zooms before arbitrary precision is required?  Usually at about this point -- e-14 -- 30K iterations was plenty to maintain detail, but at this point, now, I have great detail in the carpeting, but the bulb, itself, for example, is merely black with no external detail (no fringe prettiness).  Tacking on an extra zero restores the detail.

Just out of curiosity more than anything else -- what do you use when developing?  Meaning Eclipse, Ajunta, Kate and a legal pad (generally how I work...  embarrass), etc...

Phil
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »

Would that explain why the number of iterations I normally used with 0.0.6 seems to not be enough on the deeper zooms before arbitrary precision is required?  Usually at about this point -- e-14 -- 30K iterations was plenty to maintain detail, but at this point, now, I have great detail in the carpeting, but the bulb, itself, for example, is merely black with no external detail (no fringe prettiness).  Tacking on an extra zero restores the detail.

No. Perhaps you're imagining it :-P? 

Just out of curiosity more than anything else -- what do you use when developing?  Meaning Eclipse, Ajunta, Kate and a legal pad (generally how I work...  embarrass), etc...

Nedit + terminal.

What do you mean by a legal pad?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: