Logo by fractalwizz - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 04:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Request Regarding Gallery Ratings  (Read 1927 times)
The Rev
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »

When rating a gallery image 3 stars or less, it would be helpful to get a comment as well.  I know not everyone likes the same thing, but there are some really talented people here, and constructive critical feedback would be nice.  For example, I received an unfavorable rating with no explanation recently, and while it shattered my belief that I was perfect in every way, it also left me wondering what my critic was thinking, or how those thoughts might have helped me improve the quality of my works in the future.  Thanks.

The Rev
Thunderwave
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »

I always wondered what the rating system means to each person.

1 means bad
3 means okay
5 means excellent

or

1 ok
3 good
5 excellent

Either way I don't really take it too personally.  Most of my work is not to please people but to explore.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »

Although it could be ancouraging for newbies to get a higher voting, i think also that this alone should not
be the point of posting images.

The fascinating thing is still for me to discover new bulbs, to explore the infinite possibilities  smiley

If you feel well with a picture or you had fun with finding it, the voting does not matter.

And when voting, i would also recommend a comment, like i would to see a short description of the image from
the author, unless it is selfexplaining.
The Rev
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »

I am still very new to fractals (I've only had the software a couple of weeks actually), so I pretty much assume that any feedback I'm getting is from more experienced artists, who know more than I do.  That's why I'd like to see more commentary, especially where the ratings are not so good.  I have nothing but room to learn at this point.

The Rev
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

Whenever you get stars, even if it's only one it means someone likes something/finds something interesting about your render. wink

Thunderwave
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:38:08 AM »

Whenever you get stars, even if it's only one it means someone likes something/finds something interesting about your render. wink

Thanks, Blob!  I thought that originally, but this post made me wonder.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »

My apologies The Rev, I think the ratings are mine. Don't take it personally. I don't rate every images. Sometimes I rate the images of the day...So why "only" 2 or 3 stars? I don't criticize the amount of work you put in it, but ratings are something very personal, and if you have just one rating, it does not represent the quality of you image, but just the opinion of one person. It's obvious, but worth reminding. I found your images pleasant but not very original. People who have seen many fractal images have seen tens or hundred similar pieces of work. My ratings are based on the originality (in my humble personal opinion) and I value 3D images at the moment, especially new shapes based on Mandelbulb/box hybrids and variants.
I did not feel like having to justify my ratings, but I wanted to reassure you that you are welcome smiley
cheers
bib

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
The Rev
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »

No worries.  I don't expect everyone to think every image I create is epic.  I just thought there might be some thought there that could help me improve my work, that's all.  Thanks for the feedback, bib.

The Rev
Thunderwave
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »

No worries.  I don't expect everyone to think every image I create is epic.  I just thought there might be some thought there that could help me improve my work, that's all.  Thanks for the feedback, bib.

The Rev

cheesy ...but every image from the Mandelbrot fractal is epic!  evil
The Rev
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »

The Rev

You have a point.  The Mandelbrot Set only increasingly amazes me.  I watched a deep zoom the other day, to a degree exceeding the 60 orders of magnitude or so between the Planck Lenth and the estimated size of the Universe.  I realized that there is more complexity in that simple mathematical expression than in all of reality.  Blows my mind.

The Rev
Thunderwave
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »

The Rev

You have a point.  The Mandelbrot Set only increasingly amazes me.  I watched a deep zoom the other day, to a degree exceeding the 60 orders of magnitude or so between the Planck Lenth and the estimated size of the Universe.  I realized that there is more complexity in that simple mathematical expression than in all of reality.  Blows my mind.

The Rev

Thank you, Rev.

I love that it is so simple yet so complex.  In reality, Life can be just as simple and as complex if you tune to the natural way of its guiding forces.
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »

The star system is very subjective.  Those giving stars do it for differing reasons.  Some as previously said are just emotional response.  Sokme are very specific. As in they can be very "cliquish" Only give stars to certain members who use certain programs?  Since there is not just one panel of judges.. who knows.  Would like to see more explanations about stars given.  But I suppose it would be hard.  Also could some avoid being "snarky?" lol
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: