Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Greenbulb Canyon & Fossil Valley  (Read 12402 times)
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: September 01, 2010, 11:59:01 PM »

You may recall the earlier thread by trafassel showing inside pictures of the Mandelbulb. In that thread, I rendered an iteration sequence too. To jog your memory:

I thought what it would be like to go down in that mysterious looking valley and look upwards. Here is the weird result:

Fossil Valley

In the following image, notice there's someone in the picture. That 'someone' is the same person from my story about someone imprisoned on the Mandelbulb (planet):

Greenbulb Canyon

To see the pics at a better resolution, save them to your HD and reopen (FF automatically shrinks them for forum view).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:33:11 AM by twinbee » Logged
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »

beautiful smiley
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »

Thanks. I need to make a stereo version of these smiley
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »

beautiful smiley

As always Twinbee! smiley

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »

twinbee-  I'm really liking the light sources in fossil valley.  Makes me want to make a 5d animation, with a bunch of those floating around like will-o-wisps...  Probably make them vary from light yellow-green to light blue-green..

Have you thought about using HSLA (Hue, Saturation, Luminescence, Alpha) coloring to get more details to pop out?  It is less reliant on shading, rather set the luminescence to the correct orbital variable(s) to get contrast. 

twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:07:06 PM »

Thanks guys.

Have you thought about using HSLA (Hue, Saturation, Luminescence, Alpha) coloring to get more details to pop out?  It is less reliant on shading, rather set the luminescence to the correct orbital variable(s) to get contrast.

Can you elaborate - do you mean generally for the whole picture, and could this be done with post-processing?

Here's a stereo version I did of Greenbulb Canyon (both anaglyph and stereoscopic versions):

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:12:39 PM by twinbee » Logged
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »

Yes, some inside pictures are weird. To fight with the white cream I was searching for a new coloring method, which are white on on the white cream, but black otherwise. The idea was to replace the bailout (Math.Sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)) by this color. This should yield to a more consistent surface.

But instead, I just found a very colorful Mandelbulb. I hope, you enjoy this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/J1DNVGn2alw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/J1DNVGn2alw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »

These inside views are really amazing, are you doing a kind of fixed stepping?
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »

In my renderer I generally don't use distance estimation. This yields sometimes to artefacts on very thin structures, but it gives me more freedom to test my own formulas. ... And I have so much other ideas, which have more priority.

Otherwise, distance estimation on the inside of the Mandelbulb seems very complicated (because of the holes inside the Mandelbulb).

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »

I dont wanted to say that you should use DE, i just wondered because your renderings looks very smooth and not as you were using voxels... or they are very well interpolated.
Maybe DE could be used to scan the surface at a certain distance, i dunno. Have also to much other things to make, so it is just nice to have a view inside different rendering methods.  smiley
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:16:33 AM »

I don't use voxels. I think it is same same approach as in your software, but without DE (rayhit, and estimate the exact surface position via binary search). In my videos i use an very old idea. I determine the voxels of the (width/2. height/2 and depth/2) fractal, and estimate for each surface position 5 exact points. This give me (mostly) enough information for drawing 4 points and makes the drawing algorithm fast (8 times faster than the regular variant) . The points, where the approach does not work (i.e. because the corresponding voxel is on the border of a fractal subelement) are computing afterwards.

This result in a height map (with colors - if surface colors are defined in the formula). This height map are used afterwards in a (very basic raytracing) renderer. - And the renderer itself really needs some improvements. Lots of work - but you know - there are so much new 3D fractals to explore, which is mostly more interesting than writing software.

Jameses
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 04:32:31 AM »

I thought what it would be like to go down in that mysterious looking valley and look upwards. Here is the weird result:
^looks like an anus. lol

In the following image, notice there's someone in the picture. That 'someone' is the same person from my story about someone imprisoned on the Mandelbulb (planet):

Greenbulb Canyon

I like the colours here; similar to a coral reef. a soothing mix of lime & azure
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:34:12 AM by Jameses » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: