Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: A new experiment of mine  (Read 1761 times)
Description: Max/MSP fractals
Thunderwave
« on: July 30, 2010, 03:58:44 AM »

This is an image of the programming I am using to make this fractal.  The right side is completely for music, mostly, the left side is for the image.

This image at the bottom right corner is a fractal being generated. It's not finished yet, but if you look at it, it has two fractals overlapping each other. I call the first fractal the "curtains" and the second "noise". This is just one algorithm generating the same x, y coordinates. The program increases each input value by 0.001 for both x and y.  Now the algorithm is a work in process and is based on the butterfly effect.  My only concern is that it may get devoured by the noise and I think I need to re-check my pixel mapping.  The color needs to be brighter and is not mapped perfectly yet.

Major work in progress but new ways to love fractal and music. cheesy

I have not generated a piece off of this yet.  I wait first to get a nice image.  wink
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:46:07 AM by Trifox » Logged
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »

A fractal in MaxMSP ? wow ... now THAT's challenge !  embarrass

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Thunderwave
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »

It failed horribly!  I can't stand the way their architecture runs.  Retrying with "Processing", new to it and still having no luck.  Needs an easy graphics processing application that doesn't cost a fortune or mostly is free.
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »

It failed horribly!  I can't stand the way their architecture runs.  Retrying with "Processing", new to it and still having no luck.  Needs an easy graphics processing application that doesn't cost a fortune or mostly is free.
but it looks so pretty!  cry cry hate fails  fiery would try to help but whatever your up to looks way over my head.

Thunderwave
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »

Thanks teamfresh!

So I have been banging my head against the wall.  But the image works now in MAX/MSP, but not in "Processing" yet...:

The full Max/MSP layout, patchers have the algorithm.

This is the basic "Strange attractor" that interests me.  It comes at the second stage.  I call it "Sine Waves" or simply "Puddles".

The first stage is as my first post shows,  I call it "Rain Showers".
Here's some different iterations.

The last image is almost at what I call the third and final stage, "Blackout".
So it's like a storm, first the clouds come in, it rains and then puddles everywhere and suddenly the power goes out.

So I am working on a color scheme for it.
Here's a fun one that might work, but not sure yet how to integrate it.
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »

not sure exactly where you are going but it seems like you have a direction in your head - I cant wait to see where you go with this....

Thunderwave
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »

not sure exactly where you are going but it seems like you have a direction in your head - I cant wait to see where you go with this....
My direction is starting to seem recursive. lol  (bad joke).

The plan is to write music based off of this fractal.  The fractal algorithm has many hidden 'easter eggs'.  I wrote it to leave the variables as open as possible by using an algorithm based on "what if".  Depending on the input, something strange happens.  This is just one Egg I found.  Max allows for speed changes of which part of the algorithm repeats faster.  Also what variables increase faster, and the speed of color changes (still working on that).

The thing is, it's still in "beta".  As I go through each step of the process I find unexpected results.  My original idea has turned into a larger and deeper project hoping to find chaos.

I can't wait to see where I go next either. cheesy
Thunderwave
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »

I finally added music to it and it sounds awesome, but very week on rhythm. lol  wip

I also reset the image as it past the second round and got this, "The Blackout"  phase is a bunch of small sine waves:
at a very low iteration count.

This could be called phasing,  using a "harmonic" ratio I am phasing between harmony and dissonance. 
I will post a higher iteration count as soon as it finishes.
from, 0.6 to 6.~ is the "clouds and rain" phase.
6.~to 70~ is the Large "Puddle" phase.
70 to 150~ so far is the small sine waves or "Blackout" phase.
The fourth phase seems to  be going in and out of Small and Large waves... more later.
Thunderwave
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 01:03:04 AM »

Thank you to whoever changed the topic!  cheesy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:19:50 PM by Thunderwave, Reason: previous message is null now » Logged
Thunderwave
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:41:45 AM »

Here is a more detailed image of the "Blackout" phase.  Unfortunately, due to the instability of my project, I have to render it from the start every time, otherwise a completely linear image comes out. 

I FINALLY got the equation to work on "Processing".
Each "phase" is divided into three "processing" applications or equations, due to the instability of Max/MSP (mine or its owns, who knows yet).
Here's the full iteration (Strange Attractor) of the rain phase, clouds are completely over-layered (It seems linear).

Here's the "Puddle" phase.  It took forever to figure out how to divide the two phases.  (Still may not be precise)

Unfortunately the third phase, "Blackout", has a serious error and is not easy to see why it errors.  No error comes up it just keeps rendiering the same pixel over and over again, despite the loop being incremented.  I will let it run over night and see if it finishes tomorrow.

All in all, I say I have some success.  Although, no precise method seems to mimic what I did in Max.  The process of speeding up each "equation"  is too confusing for me to calculate exactly how Max does it.  I seriously marked every number that came out through the loops and they changed without a real plausible method.  It's like having two movie reels going at a slightly different speed and yet there seems to be two monkeys spinning them.  sad 

Back to the drawing board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: