Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 11:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Vandalism?  (Read 6105 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »

Looks like sometime in the past 48 hours another user went over all of the contest entries giving them all one-star ratings. Vandalism?

AndyAlias
Forums Newbie

acaudwell
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:30 AM »

I want my 5th star back, damn it  undecided

Also for those who haven't seen my video yet ;-)
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2043

*plug*

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:45:38 AM »

Looks like sometime in the past 48 hours another user went over all of the
    contest entries giving them all one-star ratings.  Vandalism?

So... how many does that make so far ??    grin

But I guess the real question should be, would you be making such a ruckus if somebody went through and gave all of the images a Five-Start rating ??   Most likely not!!!    evil

What this is getting to look like is that your own ego can not stand having your images without all five stars showing.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:00:21 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:50:19 AM »

Pardon me?

The problem, as I see it, is that someone indiscriminately giving every single contest entry the same rating doesn't actually serve any useful purpose, but (if it's anything but five stars) makes all the contest entries look worse than they really are. It's clearly not using the rating system as it is intended to be used, which is to influence the ratings to favor the images you prefer. If someone thinks they all stink (or even that they're all great) they can't really add anything useful or constructive, versus by praising some over others.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:52:01 AM »

It could be vandalism, or it could just be Freedom of Speech.

Either way, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, we are compelled to call it the latter.  Innocent until Proven guilty, and all that.

I agree that a non-varying rating on every image is a bit odd, but it is not enough to call it vandalism.  More evidence would be needed...

I want my 5th star back, damn it  undecided

Also for those who haven't seen my video yet ;-)
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2043

*plug*

Thanks for reminding me!!

I never finished off rating all the videos   embarrass  Saved 'em for last, then forgot.    whistling and rolling eyes

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »

people, as long as the 1 star ratings are equally divided, it wouldnt affect the real vote, although
the true 5 stars are gone ...

what should be done about it ?! dissallow voting of all the same rating over the whole entries ?!
disallow voting of 1 star ?!

i do not think that it leads to any good ... and the rating of the images is still comparable ...

btw. does anybody know a method to print lenticular images on a (perhaps cubic) cup !?
because i would like to award the movies section with an animated version of their entry cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »

Pauldebrot is  vandelism worse than being stollen?  My entry was COMPLETEY removed.  It is what it is.  Whoever runs a forum can run it however they choose.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »

some things happen, and i am so sorry, but i can not keep track of everything what is going on here,
i just try to maintain overall forum stability, and thus the entry was removed from the logo section, because it made me angry, i do not know how it went there  ...

and to rate the behaviour of peoples voting is surely not my main concern ...

---

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »

some things happen, and i am so sorry, but i can not keep track of everything what is going on here,
i just try to maintain overall forum stability, and thus the entry was removed from the logo section, because it made me angry, i do not know how it went there  ...

and to rate the behaviour of peoples voting is surely not my main concern ...

Thanks for your apology & I agree about behavior of voters.

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 04:25:01 PM »

No big deal if you ask me, I mean it is a "competition" with a mug as 1:st price. (I want it!)  afro

It is for the fun of it, and to show up your images, you can have my stars if you'd like!  smiley

I just hope things like this stops Trifox from having fun contests like this one.  sad

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »

KRAFTWERK.. I like your attitude.   smiley

reesej2
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »

Agreed. Uniform rating is unhelpful and inconvenient, but not exactly punishable, nor does it have any real consequences. Whoever did it is either unaware (for example, honestly thought that rating everything 1 star is normal, or didn't understand the rating system) or is looking for precisely this reaction. I think the best option is to just relax and have fun! That's what we're all here for, isn't it?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »

in my eyes the best rating system would be:

LOVE IT - HATE IT

and (SUM LOVE IT ) / ( SUM LOVE  IT + SUM HATE IT )

the grading wil arise from this, but this is the way the gallery works, and i am surely not modifiying anything in the gallery,
btw. i am holding back a severe gallery update until the end of the competition, to not cause any other trouble ...

---

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »

KRAFTWERK.. I like your attitude.   smiley

Thanks!  afro

GFWorld
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »

Vandalism & reading around ...

Vandalism - ich denke nicht wirklich, in german ... dass dies eine Beschreibung hier sein sollte ...  :-)))))

We have the possibility to choose  * 0 ,1 , 2, 3, 4 ,5  * ... trying to give * ratings / votings / points * for our favo(u)rites.

For my understanding * 5 Points untill 0 show * , what we like to express for our individual feelings.

Maybe , let´s all think around for another way huh?  :-)

Margit

PS:

Trifox wrote >in my eyes the best rating system would be:
LOVE IT - HATE IT
and (SUM LOVE IT ) / ( SUM LOVE  IT + SUM HATE IT ) <

Thank´s Trifox, I really agree here & please keep on doing good work here !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: