Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 04:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: An entry has gone missing.  (Read 9416 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:02 PM »

An entry has gone missing from the Fractal Fun category. I'm not sure which one it was; it was not one of mine.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:43 PM »

Are you sure it wasn't just moved?

We had some issues where people (I forget if it was 1 or 2 or more!) posted over the limit of 3 entries in a single category, and the image(s) were re-categorized to keep the numbers in line with the limits.

What makes you say this?

Can you think of any more details?

It's also possible somebody deleted their own image either intentionally or mistakenly...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »

Coulds it have been my alien?  undecided I deleted it after it kept showing up everywere today.. Kinda creepy!  Tied to copy code to place eslewere..   I am old & infirm..... huh? embarrass

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »

you uploaded the alien to the logo section, and i deleted it from there ...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »

Not intentionally. Thanks for deleting it! 

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

Are you sure it wasn't just moved?

Quite sure. The sum of the three gallery sizes went down by one.

The later posts suggest an alien image was mistakenly moved to the Logo section, then mistakenly deleted instead of moved back.

Probably the contest galleries should have been set to disable moving the images out of it as well as editing them or adding more when the voting period began.

The alien image should probably be restored to the Fractal Fun category, with its rating and any comments, if that's possible.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »

I don't think the Alien image was part of the contest.  It was a separate Gallery post if I recall correctly.  But if it was deleted, it's gone from the server.  No restoration possible.

As for blocking people from deleting their own entries if they desire, I can't agree.  If they choose to delete an entry, that is their prerogative  (we even had one person confirm that they would be able to delete their images if they wanted to prior to posting anything at all!).

I'm pretty sure nobody can add more or change images in the contest.  Editing is limited to the text description.

And I am unsure if a "regular" member can move an image in the Gallery - I thought that was a moderator only permission.  That can be addressed if it is not set correctly.

I wish there were more details available on this mystery image vanishing, because there is simply not enough information to take any action as it stands...

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »

It was in "fractal Fun"  *** grin (three stars)

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »

It was in "fractal Fun"  *** grin (three stars)

Then I recalled Incorrectly!   embarrass

And I see that moving an image was an option in editing after all...

I'll have a peek at the permissions settings and see if that can be corrected, but it may be "all or nothing" and restricting people from moving any of their images at all, in any circumstance, may not be desirable.

At least the Mystery is solved.

Alien was a contest entry!

If you want to upload it again, I can move it back to the contest forum, despite it being locked to new posts.  Just post where you put it, so it is easier to find.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »

it was a bit harsh to delete it from database ... i think votings are lost!

---

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 04:37:32 PM »

Harsh!  Image is even gone from my personal gallery. BTW I never went near the competition images once it was closed.  Should have been closed so that no one could mess with images once voting began IMHO.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »

yes, i forbid uploading of new images, but editing was allowed, for additional notes or descriptions ... but not for Moving wink

---

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »

OK that makes sense.. Now why did my alien get completely deleted from data base of these forums? 

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 06:51:09 PM »

it was an affect ....

because i am usually very angry if someone puts a wrong scaled image in the logo section, it was my fault to delete it, i should rather have moved it to the "unused" logo section,
to keep track of votings ...

i try to recover it from the images folder on the server, i dunno if it is really physically deleted

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »

did i mention, that the gallery consists of about ~2000 fractal images ?

---

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: