Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Orbit Trap's Review of this Competition  (Read 10905 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »

I don't know if it is sufficient to pile up bright minds and set them loose. But there are several historic examples, beginning with the Greek mathematicians and philosophers, who didn't work in isolation, but were teachers of remarkable students. Much later, the allies summoned a crowd of code breakers in Bletchley Park

Not to mention a crowd of bomb makers in Los Alamos.

and those people created the general purpose computer. In modern times, you have Xerox PARC and IBM's T J Watson Research Center.

MIT Media Lab. Arguably the whole of Silicon Valley too, apparently because they don't enforce noncompetes there. (Is IBM's research center located there?)

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:59 AM »

...the end goal is producing interesting Fractal Art in an optimum way rather than deriving new "correct" mathematical techniques.
This of course is also a weakness but I think does leave things more open to possibilities than more formal academic investigations smiley
More formal investigation can then be done of ideas that merit such.

Quite right David, and this is the way to go for mayor breakthroughs, often this way of not following conventions leads to the most interesting (and in the end, in this case,  it might end up “correct” mathematically) results.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »

The thing I find most remarkable about FractalForums is how a
  new class of fractal formulas seems to be discovered every month.
  Much of FractalForums' appeal is created by outstanding individuals. 
  But the remarkable thing is how many of them have gathered here and
  are working together (or are competing :-) to refine, improve, explore,
  produce fractal imagery.    .......    people are not being organized and
  directed, but they are let loose.

We make astonishing discoveries because we are free to go where we
  want, and we do not have to keep secrets from each other. 

I agree with the majority of what you have stated.  But there ARE a few secrets being kept.  This can not be helped, given the environment that some of the Members have come from.  It was ingrained into them prior to joining Fractal Forums, and it is now a bad habit for them to break.

And yes, the freedom to go in many directions, using many software applications, is the most influential part of this Forum !!!    cheesy

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »

The next step is to organize an in-person FF annual meeting to have
   those fractal gurus get out of their cave  smiley 

Probably will need to be several of these, one or two per continent, based upon Member population.

( Not really a fractal guru, but I like my cave.  Very, Very, Very Much !!!! )     cheesy

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »

( Not really a fractal guru, but I like my cave.  Very, Very, Very Much !!!! )     cheesy

Then why do you wear sunglasses? cheesy

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
GFWorld
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »

Mr. Trifox wrote >it is nice to see such a remarkable mentioning in public ...

That´s great Christian, I feel so too smiley  afro  smiley :-)))

>in the forum, we have enthusiastic members, and even more enthusiastic moderators ...

You can be really happy beside your own activities here too  afro  smiley  afro

>btw. even with the ads on the site it is far from makin money, i am still paying 30€ a month, and only get 10€ out of ads

So let´s go a l l around a bit here having a * Klick *   smiley - I already did & will do my best  police  police  police

Margit
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 06:23:30 PM »

Those were a bit too goal oriented as an example. I mean, the theory was already there, fission, chain reaction, amount of energy released. They "merely" had to work out the practical details of handling and processing the material, and how to put it together into a weapon usable by non-experts.

So they weren't really free to come up with something unexpected (other than plain failure).
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »

Those were a bit too goal oriented as an example. I mean, the theory was already there, fission, chain reaction, amount of energy released. They "merely" had to work out the practical details of handling and processing the material, and how to put it together into a weapon usable by non-experts.

So they weren't really free to come up with something unexpected (other than plain failure).

Depends what you wanted an example of. Keep in mind also that though there was one goal-end-product there those physicists forged lasting relationships and went on to produce important results in quantum theory.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: