Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal Generators  (Read 15749 times)
Description: Question about the programs available
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »

Have a look at Xaos also, it's real time zooming capability makes it very fun to use.

http://wmi.math.u-szeged.hu/xaos/doku.php

I am also a great fan of Incendia which is a superb free program.

http://www.incendia.net/

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »

Thanks blb!  I just got lost checking out "source Forge"  Only interested in free-ware.  (have other priorities) smiley  Just getting decent a zoomin.  Not all programs all equal on that.

teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »

Personally I would put Mandelbulber at the top of the list...
I have to agree. The new key frame option is just awesome. I have just finished putting a sequence of keys together. It was a little tricky to get the hang of at first - but I worked it out soon enough. smiley I cant wait for it to be finished already!

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »

I definitely have to spend some time learning Mandelbulber, but my first impression was that I did not understand the logic of it, particularly the GUI. Anyway, I'm now in my Mandelbuld 3D phase and having much fun with it, so I would warmly recommend it because it's quite easy to learn. The only thing I'm not comfortable with in M3D are the shadows. I can't get nice "projected" shadows like I used to do in UF with Dave Makin formula, and it seems also easy to do in Mandelbulber.

Is it possible in Mandelbulber to do hybrid fractals (that is changing the formula at each iteration) ?

Edit : by the way, who has been using the 2 programs and what would be the pros and cons in your opinion ? MarkJayBee ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:51:59 PM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »

The only thing I'm not comfortable with in M3D are the shadows. I can't get nice "projected" shadows like I used to do in UF with Dave Makin formula, and it seems also easy to do in Mandelbulber.

Have you tried the hard shadow option?
It is calculated only for the first light and you have to adjust the angles for light and shadow by hand to fit.
But it gives better shadows and you dont need to turn the ambient shadow so high.
The sliders for the hard shadow in the lighting tab have to be adjusted more to the right side, just try it out.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »

Yes I have tried that. What I can't do for example is to draw a distinct shadow of a peak on a plane surface, like if the shadow strengh depends only on the surface normal, and not on objects around projecting their own shadows. So I'm not sure I exactly understand how hard shadows work, but the fact that they're updated in real time by the sliders makes me think it's too quick to be what I'm looking for. Maybe I need to test more, I will try and post some screenshots if necessary.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 10:51:47 PM »

I definitely have to spend some time learning Mandelbulber, but my first impression was that I did not understand the logic of it, particularly the GUI. Anyway, I'm now in my Mandelbuld 3D phase and having much fun with it, so I would warmly recommend it because it's quite easy to learn. The only thing I'm not comfortable with in M3D are the shadows. I can't get nice "projected" shadows like I used to do in UF with Dave Makin formula, and it seems also easy to do in Mandelbulber.

Yes, GUI in my program is not so perfect   undecided. When I finish some new features I will try to make Mandelbulber more intuitive. Generally I hate building user interfaces  evil

Is it possible in Mandelbulber to do hybrid fractals (that is changing the formula at each iteration) ?

Not yet, but I will be in near future. Now there is only possible to mix all formulas with IFS and Mandelbox formulas (base and auxiliary formula in the same iteration).

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »

Yes I have tried that. What I can't do for example is to draw a distinct shadow of a peak on a plane surface, like if the shadow strengh depends only on the surface normal, and not on objects around projecting their own shadows.

Just a quick hint because this thread is not only related to M3D:
You have to turn the hard shadow option in its tab on before rendering, only the amount and gradient can then be changed after rendering. Of course, it takes some more time to render because an additional ray must be calculated.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »

BTW I was having a lot of problems with ChaosPro, bugs & such. I thought that doing the updates would take care of it.  But no.. anyway I just downloaded it again.  Love it, have more features & better than ever.

SBrown9
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »

Hello:

I'm new to the forum. I'm a graduate student in architecture @ Miami University and am looking at 3D fractal geometry as a generative methodology for building structure + form for my thesis project. I'm searching for the best/easiest 3D fractal generating software to use ... and one that exports into some sort of 3D MODEL format ... not just making cool/pretty/interesting 2D IMAGES.

I looked at "FractalWorks" but it seems to only be able to generate 3D images from a limited amount of original/existing fractals (perhaps I'm missing something)?

Does anybody have any suggestions recommendations?

Thanks!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »

Hello:

I'm new to the forum. I'm a graduate student in architecture @ Miami University and am looking at 3D fractal geometry as a generative methodology for building structure + form for my thesis project. I'm searching for the best/easiest 3D fractal generating software to use ... and one that exports into some sort of 3D MODEL format ... not just making cool/pretty/interesting 2D IMAGES.

I looked at "FractalWorks" but it seems to only be able to generate 3D images from a limited amount of original/existing fractals (perhaps I'm missing something)?

Does anybody have any suggestions recommendations?

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

You may enjoy this thread:  http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-renderings/mandelbox-architecture/

As for a decent Mandelbox obj file (or other 3D format) Export, I have no idea.  Maybe Visions of Chaos  ( http://softology.com.au/voc.htm  )  But I am still hoping to get a sample of the output to judge it's quality. Or perhaps one of Terry Gintz's programs?  http://www.mysticfractal.com/  Xenodream exports fine obj files too :  http://xenodream.com/

If you find one you like, let us know!

EDIT - These obj files will always be HUGE because they are generated from "point clouds" and not actual surface geometry, thus they have a ton more polygons than needed and often contain internal polygons hidden from view but part of the formula so they get rendered!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:01:27 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »

You may want to have a look at Fractracer as well:

http://fractracer.com/index.php
SBrown9
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and the direction everyone. It's a little overwhelming stepping into this realm (initially) of finding a good match of software and (my) skills ... or lack thereof!  cry

The formulas and mathematics are a little mind-numbing. I'm hoping to find a software that is intuitive and less reliant on "numbers".
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and the direction everyone. It's a little overwhelming stepping into this realm (initially) of finding a good match of software and (my) skills ... or lack thereof!  cry

The formulas and mathematics are a little mind-numbing. I'm hoping to find a software that is intuitive and less reliant on "numbers".

I suggest starting with Mandelbulb 3D from the Downloads section here  (link up top).

Very easy interface to get used to.

Just change some numbers in different places for different formulas at random to get a feel for what happens. 

It doesn't do obj format (that is a rare request - I thought I was the only one who REALLY wanted it!) but maybe if enough of us keep asking, Jesse will add that to the program   Elvis Presley

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2010, 08:54:04 PM »

I tried to use Mandelbulb 3D to create a 3D object and I think I failed only because I couldn't find a free software, even a command line line one, to make an stl file out of a stack of B&W 2D slices animation walkthrough I rendered with it.

Does anyone know about such a tool?

I wish I could create an stl out of those bitmaps, then there are enough free tools to convert that to an obj which I then could render in Kerkythea.

Ideally, if Jesse would implement stl export some day, that would be uber cool.

afro
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: