Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 10:37:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal Generators  (Read 16107 times)
Description: Question about the programs available
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 11:57:09 PM »

My 1st attempt at creating fract art was with apophysis.  Could not get the hang of it. Seems limited to just flames.  No info out there.  just screwed up my PC by downloading anything that could possibly help.  Then I came across ChaosPro.  Slow learning curve! But can be done even without being a mathmetician.  I have decided to stick with it (just using Chaospro & nothing else. )  Seems it has much to offer.  Never truly master it all. 

I love chaos pro also. check out these hight field 3d fractal zoom videos I made with chaos pro. I just love the open gl 3d engine it uses.....

<a href="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/940532/metacafe.swf" target="_blank">http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/940532/metacafe.swf</a>

<a href="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/964746/metacafe.swf" target="_blank">http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/964746/metacafe.swf</a>

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »

Nice work Teamfresh!  I love seeing what other folks come up with using the same generater.  Did you use the 3dGl landscape in some?  It looks like it.  I had difficulties.. but it's sooo addictive.   

teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »

thanks! yes these were done using the open gl 3d engine within chaos pro.
heres a few more chaos pro 3d fractals to watch - if you have time to kill. I made these some year ago nearly forgot about them - I feel all nostalgic after watching these....
(had to put the URL's in code boxes as that is the only way i could get them to appear in the post!)

bowls
Code:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=7915599

squares
Code:
squares http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8166915

neon
Code:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8406484

spine
Code:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8167373

3d fractal play
Code:
play http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=7917257 

candy
Code:
candy http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=7915599

Watching all these back reminds me of how much i used to love making 3d fractals in chaos pro. I may have to make another one at the weekend - for old times sake  afro

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing!  I know what you mean about "feeling nostalgic" (even tho I've only been doing thsi since last fall) Backto fractal generators being equal.... I recently got Chaoscope.  Problem is it will not let me surf around while rendering & such.  Plus I have yet to get something rendered.  Takes almost 2 hrs.  Thought I would "batch process" just to get an idea of basic fractals.   Soo far ChaosPro seems the most complete/diverse as far as free ware goes.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »

Back to fractal generators being equal.... I recently got Chaoscope.  Problem is it will not let me surf around while rendering & such.

If you want to continue playing with Chaoscope while it's rendering an image, just open a second instance of the program.  One can render while the other plays   sweet music

And as for render times, it's mostly the Julia's which take that long, either that or high resolution renders.  As with Quaternions in ChaosPro - explore with low resolution images - then make larger renders of the ones you like best  afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »

Thanks Socratease!  Size does matter (excuse the pun) embarrass  Things started to move much faster. Plus I'm learning which are just naturally slower.

Hypnogems
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »

I started a social networking site for Incendia; it has a few members
but nothing much is happening there...sigh.  Where was your network?  
I'd certainly join to learn how to use ChaosPro better...  

The ChaosPro web site and the Help file (not to mention the email list) are probably your best places to start with for learning more about the application.  There are many examples available for download to see what others have created, and what settings they used.

And of course, there is always this Forum to ask questions in.     smiley

Thanks!

My problem is, I need about five more computers, and about eight more arms to play with all the generators I have now at once...lol.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »

What in your opinion would be MUST HAVES & why?   Which programs are simimar?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 06:12:46 PM »

What in your opinion would be MUST HAVES & why?

The only "Must Have" programs are the ones you find easy to use and produce results which you like!

Many people insist UltraFractal is a "must have" - but I find it a drudge to work with and find the results indistinguishable from many other programs.  But I get along great with the ...  "Unique" interface of Mutatorkammer and find that it produces a distinctive style of image I like a lot!  Chaoscope is also one I get along with quite well.

Of the new Mandelbulb programs, I just LOVE what I see coming out of Mandelbulber, but just can't wrap my tiny little brain around the interface!!  Mandelbulb 3D suits my way of thinking much better, and I am quite fond of the pictures I get from it   afro

I use Xenodream a lot for exporting obj files to use in 3D Work, but have difficulties with QuasZ, and others by the same programmer, getting results I like.

Which programs are similar?

ChaosPro is similar enough to Ultra Fractal that I should be fine with both  (but CP can't do deep zooms  undecided )  Many others share similar properties as well...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »

Thanks for info on "deep zooms" with CP.  I have just recently gotten into that.   But noticing my limits.  Then I ponder are they my limits or programs.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

Fractal Forge.. anyone use  it?  Don't think I've heard of it hear.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 06:38:17 AM »

The only "Must Have" programs are the ones you find easy to use and produce results which you like!

Could not have said it better myself !!!    smiley

Fractal applications, just like any software programs, are tools to be used in a pre-programmed way.  Whether or not that particular tool is suited to your way of working, only you can decide that.

Many people insist UltraFractal is a "must have" - but I find it a drudge to work with and
    find the results indistinguishable from many other programs.

I have a whole collection of similar comments by several individuals whom have tried using UF.  Just because there are a lot of "commercials" advertising a particular tool, it does not make it the best thing to use.  UF has been promoted like any other media campaign; where if it is mentioned enough times from various sources, then it "must" be something worth getting.  Personally, I do not trust products (and especially not their distributors) that constantly hype it's abilities.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 07:17:02 AM »

If I was limited to only having maybe 10 fractal generators, then in my personal opinion the following would be my choice:
  • FractInt
  • XenoDream
  • Kai's Power Tools (KPT)
  • QuaSZ
  • ChaosPro
  • Tiera-Zon
  • Mandelbulb3D
  • Mind-Boggling Fractals
  • Fractal Explorer
  • Apophysis

Which programs are similar?

Out of the 600 or so programs that I am aware of, most of them fall into about five basic categories, with the Mandelbrot/Julia generators being by far the largest grouping.  Out side of that, they are all similar in that they are computer programs that render fractals.    smiley

Fractal Forge.. anyone use  it?  Don't think I've heard of it hear.

I have played with it enough to discover its abilities, and areas that could be enhanced.  I have about eight different versions that I have tried out over the years.

Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »

Personally I would put Mandelbulber at the top of the list (Though I admit I've only tried 4 or 5 programs), the auto-near and far planes are a godsend, the distance estimate based zoom is nice for avoiding colliding with the fractal, and it is lightning fast with lots of great features to add depth and lighting to the renders. Its also open source so you can make new fractals.
It has some drawbacks, the colouring options were very limited in the version I used, and there is no undo! this means if you accidentally click on the image it will zoom in and you have lost your well framed render for good. Also it saves every adjustment you make as a picture which seems unnecessary and can slow things down.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »

When I started this thread I had only really worked with ChaosPro.  Almost afraid to try anything else.  Since then I have added Chaoscope, Fractal Explorer, Fractal Forge & Apophysis.  Each seems to have it's positves & negatives.  As in each serves a differing purpose for me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: