Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:30:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Poll
Question: the admin thought it was a good idea to deactivate it, but its not, what to do ?  (Voting closed: April 04, 2010, 11:50:34 PM)
just switch it on! - 5 (41.7%)
keep it until submission period is over - 7 (58.3%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Should Competition 2010 Voting be enabled now?  (Read 5985 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: March 30, 2010, 11:50:34 PM »

i thought it would make sense to disallow voting for the competition, but it came to my mind that it would be a horrible
clicking orgy, and i am asking kindly to: switch on voting for competition 2010 ( it is disabled right now ), with respect to the images
posted already, but the sooner we allow it, the more votes we get !

i make a poll!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »

Voting is really just Rating, right?

If so, delaying rating things is needless.

It will discourage people later when there is too much to rate.

Leaving a month for just rating with uploading disabled is not a bad thing, but I agree - let people rate imagery now!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:30 AM »

ok, i switched it on!

---

aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »

The problem with voting now is that people might look, make their mind up, and vote now without ever returning to see later entries.  Submissions closer to the deadline won't have a fair chance.  Also, I doubt that people can change their minds after they vote, so they might vote for the best one now, then see a better one later.

I think voting while submissions are being collected is a bad idea.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »

The problem with voting now is that people might look, make their mind up, and vote now without ever returning to see later entries.  Submissions closer to the deadline won't have a fair chance.  Also, I doubt that people can change their minds after they vote, so they might vote for the best one now, then see a better one later.

I think voting while submissions are being collected is a bad idea.

But we're not voting for our favorites!

We're just Rating each entry on a scale of 1 to 5  -  then the Gallery will keep track of totals.

There will be a month to rate images after the submissions stop, and you can only rate an image once, so I'm not so sure it will detract from any fairness...

But I suppose early entrants can garner more ratings if people don't take the time to rate images later...

Either way has advantages.

Having to rate all the entries at once may be a daunting task if lots of people enter!

More Opinions!!!  evil  afro  alien

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »

after the deadline, a 1 month voting period begins, i think that voting for ~70 images uploaded then is quite a task,
and to make it easier it is allowed

only if votings are exactly the same, the number of votes will be used

---

aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:54:41 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Voting now doesn't sound like it has the drawbacks that I thought smiley
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »

...and i am asking kindly to: switch on voting for competition 2010...
i make a poll!

ok, i switched it on!

Personally, I think it will lead to more "vote stuffing" than normal.  I know it is only a rating, but it still should have waited until all entries were submitted, like any normal contest.

And why bother with a poll, if you are going to disregard the majority, which now show 7 against it and only 5 for it??  You asked for Members to comment and give their poll, but within an hour and 48 minutes, you turn it on anyway.  (I feel you might wish to cut down on the caffeine a bit.)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:23:24 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »

ehrm, yes, i am sorry for that,
but would you like to open each of the submitted images to vote for it ?
or would you more like to vote for an image as soon as you have seen it ?
of it is really your alls wishes, i can reset the ratings when voting starts...

---

Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »

Uhh... on a totally weird note, when I first tried to reply, I got an orange page with - in very very big letters - "Oh my, you killed! You lazy bum!", and the title of the page being "deleted!".  What The F@ck ?? What The F@ck ??

I think the voting should already be open; I would much rather vote on images as they come, than vote on them all at once. I think the latter would be much more fair, though. My problem is that I only feel inclined to vote on the images that I really like. alien

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »

Uhh... on a totally weird note, when I first tried to reply, I got an orange page with
- in very very big letters - "Oh my, you killed! You lazy bum!",
and the title of the page being "deleted!".

Today is April Fools Day !!! 

Have you seen Google's main page ??

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »

perhaps making a vote, and prejudice the result was my failure, but i really think that
it is much more convenient for the users to vote, because i can tell for myself, i would not have
fun opening each image, and vote for it ... if they are too much, it is a demanding task

and due to the fact, that voting period is one month AFTER deadline, all images should get equal
viewing/votings ....

i can make another vote to reset votings on begin of voting period :... smiley

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »

Uhh... on a totally weird note, when I first tried to reply, I got an orange page with
- in very very big letters - "Oh my, you killed! You lazy bum!",
and the title of the page being "deleted!".

I got that too!

But it scared me more because as a moderator the "Remove Post" button is right next to the "Reply" button!!

I thought I may have deleted something (just for a moment - then I recalled the date and reloaded the page!).

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 05:00:46 AM »

lol, i would say to me: April Fool worked for the first time on the forums in 2010 cheesy
sorry all, it was an urge for me to do it

---

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: