Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Test Render #1  (Read 1429 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: March 21, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »

OK...

I'm not quite able to control this program as easily as some others.  Most striking is the issue of "dragging" the image so I can properly center an area of interest after rendering something  (getting the "zoom box" centered exactly where I want it is not as easy as it sounds (not without a "draw from center option anyhow).

See programs like ChaosPro for an example of what I mean.  In such software it is possible to drag the entire image around in the window without zooming.

Here's an example:

How would I go about centering the minibrot in this render?  All I seem to be able to do is zoom the image, not translate it's location - or would I need to type in coordinates manually to achieve this?  If so, how would I know what to type where?  Your naming conventions in the formula are non-standard.  It took me a while to figure out which value was the "Bailout" (I like low bailout values for Mandelbrot Escapetime renders).

Will play more later - I have other software to try out today (Fractracer) and some forum work here to take care of...

Apart from a way to drag the entire image, it would be nice if Many Fractals could import ".map" files for color gradients (the old Fractint format which is so popular in many Fractal Generators).

Looking forward to more play later...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:48:53 PM by Sockratease, Reason: Speelinf Eroorz » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
rickz65
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:57 AM »

Thank you very much for the feed back, Sockratease !
What I call the magnify box can be moved around in one of 3 ways, the easiest being to just click and hold down the left mouse button after the box has been made. The Magnify, or zoom box lower right corner will jump to the mouse cursor and can be dragged around the window/image.  The zoom box can also be sized or moved by using the toolbar arrow buttons. The Blue arrows mean size, red arrow mean move. When the arrows have a black line on the end of them, it means move or size by 10 pixels. Here's the non-intuitive part, the mouse cursor, as long as the left button is held down, is tracked even off the edges of the window. If you made a zoom box the size of the window, or about the same size (it can be made bigger than the window, too) then drag the zoom box to where you want it. But, true, this is still 'zooming' not sliding the image around. I've thought of that idea and will move it up in priority, as that method is move intuitive. The Coordinates for the image can be typed in manually in the Control Panel on the first tab called 'Main', they are labeled Low X, Low Y, High X, High Y. A long time ago I was unfamiliar with the term 'bailout', so I came up with the descriptive label of 'abs(Z) Limit' ... but since very few people may ever figure that out quickly ... I'll change to the traditional term 'bailout'. Let me know what else isn't easily understood, and/or non-standard, if you would be so kind. I'm not the most familiar with what are the standard or traditional terms, so any help is a BIG help.
   ... another tip about the zoom box ... the aspect ratio can be fixed to the same as the window or can be 'Free Form'. If you wanted to have a different aspect ratio to the image, there are 2 ways to do it. First is to re-size the window to the aspect ratio you want: A) drag the lower right corner of the window to re-size the whole App window, or B) go into the Control Panel and change Height and Width on the 'Main' tab to exactly the size you want. The Second way to change aspect ratio is to go into the Control Panel to the 'Misc' tab and near the top, check the box for 'Use Free Form Magnify Box', click OK, then create a Zoom box. If you just click and hold down on the left mouse button, over the image, you can create and size a Zoom Box all in one step ... there are quite a few way to operate the Zoom Box in Many Fractals, hopefully one way will be to your liking ... but true, zoom from center point is an option ... yet  grin
   ... and Thank You very, very much, for the idea to import .map files ! I've got it on the list for the next version to be able to load and save color lists, so I'll include .map files in the process ! I didn't know they were a popular format, so thanks again !
    ... oh, yeah, almost forgot to mention ... the bailout value I use in the Control Panel is the absolute value, or 2 for the Mandelbrot set, which of coarse gets then squared by the App and compared to the norm of Z (resultant), or 4 ... some Apps have the user enter the Norm value of 4 ...

Hope you have fun playing with Many Fractals, and Please keep the feed back coming, as I really do want to make the App easy and Intuitive to use.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:57 PM »

... and Thank You very, very much, for the idea to import .MAP files ! 
I've got it on the list for the next version to be able to load and save color lists,
so I'll include .MAP files in the process !  I didn't know they were a popular format....

Actually, there are several dozen programs that use such files, at least 48 which I am aware of.  And if you want a VERY LARGE collection of such files to play with, scroll down half way through the following web page to find a .ZIP file:

http://www.Nahee.com/Fractals/FractInt/index.html

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: