Logo by yv3 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 04:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mindblowing Mengersponge Animation  (Read 9730 times)
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 05:51:16 AM »

First of all, let's agree on one thing:

Stacking cubes together in that pattern (with successive scaling) produces the same shape as digging it out. Try this: dig out one iteration, then multiply in size by three. It's the same as stacking. Or, if you prefer, stack one iteration of cubes on each other, and divide in size by three. They're all equivalent. In fact, it can even be described by an L-System of a line. So it's equally valid to argue it has no surface area. It's 3D cantor dust, really.

Mass=Density*Volume. Volume=0, so Mass=0. Of course, there's the issue where the gaps become smaller than a planck scale, at which point this all becomes meaningless. On the other, at much higher scales, the gaps become small enough to exclude any air molecules - or at least the soot and dust, which is heavier. So the sponge, filled with these small vacuums, might end up floating up until it reaches clean air. Or it could sink, due to the particles (which [maybe, see next sentence] are still there!). It all depends on whether on not it has mass at a quantum level or not.

Define your terms before you start arguing about them. It's like the monk asking, "How does one attain happiness?", and his teacher responds, "What one earth is that?"

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »

Define your terms before you start arguing about them.

But...  I choose to define the terms differently!

This is a "3D" Representation of an abstract concept  (the image itself is still 2D).

While abstract concepts have no mass, should this object manifest itself in our reality, in such a way that the need to discuss survival should it fall on you ever arose...  it would no longer have the properties mentioned.

Would Cantor Dust have mass?  I say yes!  Folks used to believe Light was massless, but later decided that it does indeed have it.

Also, Cantor dust would not be able to maintain such a rigid structure in the real world if it were massless - so I still think it would be a Massive Object and crush the Frac (tal) out of any humans in it's path  devil

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 10:57:04 AM »

You guys! Can't a body dream? Does everything have to be correct in somebodies eyes? It is enough to ask the question and come up with a godzillion of answers! That is the fun! That is my reality kiss

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »

I thought the use of the Devil Smiley indicated that I was only having Fun with the concept.

Besides, such banter and sardonic questioning was the Hallmark of He Who Inspired my user-name, so I feel justified in the statements  afro

I trust all involved in this realize that it's an un-answerable question and the replies here nothing more than Intellectual Gymnastics.  Great fun so long as nobody sprains their brain in the process!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »

Jeah, I like this too, and was going to put out the fire with gasoline...  fiery

If I get hit by an infinite amount of infinitely sharp edges that are infinitely packed together (are they?) how will that affect me?
 hurt hurt hurt

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 04:58:57 AM »

OK I give up!!!  Under the pressure of nothing... afro

But still posting questions and statements to this topic after the fact anyway!!!   wink    cheesy

So, if it was a REAL "subtracted" Mengersponge (unlike the animation), you think i would be cut into infinitely small cubes?
...was going to put out the fire with gasoline...  fiery
If I get hit by an infinite amount of infinitely sharp edges that are infinitely packed together (are they?) how will that affect me?  hurt hurt hurt

Ever seen what ground meat looks like when it comes out of those small holes at the end of the grinder ??   evil

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »

That's close, Nahee.
The only two differences: The "cords" of meat all have different sizes and are square smiley

Btw, the whole cube would cut equally easy throught the earth, splitting some atoms on its way to the core, lol. (Well, at least assuming, it had any mass.)
If it had no mass, it would basically stay in place where it is and wouldn't ever move from there, but everything that touches it, would be cut into pieces. (Well, additionally assuming, it can't either be affected by any of the other forces^^)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: